Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Here's the rules as specified:

Sealed gates can:

1) win the game if all four are sealed
2) prevent Shoggoths moving towards it.
3) prevent players from moving to and from gates.
4) still spawn cultists and Shoggoths.

Elder Sign gates can:

1) prevent any Cultists from springing up, even if a Summoning Card indicates a specific location, i.e. an Elder sign in Dunwich prevents the spawning of cultists/Shoggoths in Historic Inn if an Historic Inn summoning card is made.
2) prevents any spawning of any Cultists in all locations, ensuring that the colored location is now cultist free. However, it does not impede Shoggoth movement.

Here's my question...

If the spawning rate is 3 but the gates are sealed, cultists can still be summoned via card and placed in the colored locations where a gate has been sealed, correct? If not, then the Elder Sign flip-up is redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As I understand it, once a sealed gate has been flipped to the Elder Sign side, no new cultists or shoggoths can spawn on locations of that colour. That includes the effects of the Summoning step, Evil Stirs cards, Sanity rolls, and even Awakenings. The only way the number of cultists in that town can ever increase is if the Occultist moves them there.

Shoggoths still move when you draw a shoggoths move summoning card of the colour of an Elder Sign sealed town.

Huscurian wrote:
If the spawning rate is 3 but the gates are sealed, cultists can still be summoned via card and placed in the colored locations where a gate has been sealed, correct? If not, then the Elder Sign flip-up is redundant.

Correct. Simply sealing a gate does not prevent cultists or shoggoths from spawning in that town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so, i'm not sure what exactly you're asking so let me say this, maybe this is what you're looking;

As far as I know the only way a gate can have the sealed gate token with the Elder Sign face up (not the "X" side up) is if the Relic card called "Elder Sign" is played.

Elder Sign
Pick a town. If its gate has been sealed,
no new cultist or Shoggoth may be
placed in that town. As a reminder, flip
the Seal Token to show the Elder Sign.

I am assuming this means that during the summoning phase that when cards are flipped up and the color of that card matches the town that was chosen for the relic card called Elder Sign then no placement of a cultist is done. However, if it has the Soggoth symbol then you still need to move a Shoggoth.

is this what you're talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"As I understand it, once a sealed gate has been flipped to the Elder Sign side, no new cultists or shoggoths can spawn on locations of that colour. That includes the effects of the Summoning step, Evil Stirs cards, Sanity rolls, and even Awakenings. The only way the number of cultists in that town can ever increase is if the Occultist moves them there.

Shoggoths still move when you draw a shoggoths move summoning card of the colour of an Elder Sign sealed town."

Linear said it perfectly above. All correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huscurian wrote:

Here's my question...

Okay, so this is that part that has me scratching my head; first of all, everyone has it correct about when a gate is sealed and the Elder Sign side is face up that NO cultists or Shoggoths may be placed in that towm that has a sealed gate with the ELDER SIGN face-up.

We're all on the same page here.

But the question seems to indicate that the OP is saying that, or at least I THINK it's being said, is that when a gate is sealed the sealed gate token is placed with the Elder Sign face up and that's not true, the token has the "X" face up over the sealed gate. But when the relic card "Elder Sign" is played a town is picked that already has a sealed gate ("X" side up) and that token is flipped over to show the Elder Sign face up to remind the players that no cultists or Shoggoths are to be placed in that town.

The last sentence in the question is what made me think about this....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I entirely understand the question here. The way you describe it is correct. You can only use the Elder Sign Relic on a town that already has a gate closed (X marker is face up). When you do use it, you flip the X side to the Elder Sign side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaatmal wrote:
Not sure I entirely understand the question here. The way you describe it is correct. You can only use the Elder Sign Relic on a town that already has a gate closed (X marker is face up). When you do use it, you flip the X side to the Elder Sign side.

Take a look at his last sentence in that question about how the elder sign seems redundant in his opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin GRZYBOWSKI
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi Chuck,
is there ever a time when all of the Elder signs can be displayed? (Ie., the gate is closed, and all the cultists have been removed from the town and are now "eradicated", similar to Pandemic), or is is only when the single Relic card is drawn? And if so, is there a reason you chose to only allow one gate to be completely sealed off from any Shoggoths or Cultists from being placed there.

Also, are there any plans to create an expansion for this game?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinadindin wrote:
Hi Chuck,
is there ever a time when all of the Elder signs can be displayed? (Ie., the gate is closed, and all the cultists have been removed from the town and are now "eradicated", similar to Pandemic), or is is only when the single Relic card is drawn? And if so, is there a reason you chose to only allow one gate to be completely sealed off from any Shoggoths or Cultists from being placed there.

Thanks!

Isn't there only 1 elder sign card in the relic deck?
If so, then unless there's a card that allows you to re-used an already played relic card, you wouldn't be able to have more than 1 elder sign displayed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hi Chuck,

There can only be 1 Elder Sign in play at any one time, due to the fact that there is only 1 Relic card that summons it. There is not a general way to eradicate towns like in base Pandemic: only the Elder Sign Relic can achieve that.

Given that the board is smaller to facilitate easier travel amongst locations, completely closing off multiple towns felt like it turned the game a bit too easy in balance testing. Also, the theme of this game lends itself well to a greater sense of constant threat by continuing to spawn Cultists and Shoggoth.

As for expansions, I'd love to continue to support the title with such content. I'm in talks now with Z-Man about that very thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin GRZYBOWSKI
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for clarifying, and excited to see what you guys come up with for extensions as I find the extensions for the original Pandemic very much raise the stakes, and increase the fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.