Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's a question for those who have some experience playing and are comfortably familiar with the game....

I was completely unaware of this game before rescuing a copy in thrift store grab bag today, and while the copy that I found appears to be completely unplayed, it's missing a Blue 3 wares card. I've been looking at the rules and see that the full number of wares are never in play anyway, so I'm wondering how big a deal it would be to know one of the cards that won't be in play?

My gut instinct is to think that the effect would be small in any case, and nearly non-existent with a table full of beginners playing, but I'd appreciate any thoughts or observations from experienced players.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to remove a certain number of cards from the deck before play based on the number of people in the game. Since you are missing a card, you have to adapt this, so the cards per round comes out evenly. There is one player count that requires all the cards, so you won't be able to play with that number.

As to game play, for new players, it won't make a big difference. Our groups have played this many times and, since it is a card game, the "luck of the draw" plays a role. Will a missing blue 3 affect that luck? Perhaps over many plays, but not initially.

This is a great filler and you were lucky to find a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Silver wrote:
There is one player count that requires all the cards, so you won't be able to play with that number.

Is that in the original German rules? All I have is the translation file here, and it seems there that some cards are removed no matter how many players are in the game.

Btw, I notice that *12* cards are removed with 4 players, so that is most definitely the sweet spot with a missing card!

Quote:
This is a great filler and you were lucky to find a copy.

Thanks! I noticed a few German games in the store, but the board games were for small children. Byzanz was paired with the Amigo German edition of Wizard in the grab bag, $1.98 for both, so I definitely was grabbing that!

But now I'm wondering if I missed out and someone else harvested some German board games before I got there....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, now you made me go look up the rules and you're correct. All player counts from 3 to 6 require the removal of some cards, 2 through 12. You'll just have to reduce those by one.

Four plays well with this game, but so do five and six. At the six level, the scores are very close since the randomness evens out and there are only four rounds. The bidding also gets tense.

Wizard is another great game, although we prefer the English (traditionally suited) version. The cards in the German version, while unique and artistic, don't necessarily help game play. Maybe if you're used to them ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.