Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am adding icons into a game I am working on to indicate what type of food an animal eats. I am worried that the realistic looking icons that I first came up with are too small to be seen properly. I came up with some more stylized icons, but they are not as good looking. Which is more important: visibility or style?

Carnivore:

Herbivore:

Omnivore:

Poll
Which do you prefer?
Realistic icons (like the ones on the left)
Stylized icons (like the ones on the right)
Other (I will explain what I mean in my post with pictures)
      35 answers
Poll created by theTrueMikeBrown

The icons will also be color coded to help them to be easier to differentiate (Red=carnivore, Green=herbivore, Brown=omnivore).

When this is done, I will continue to modify the winning icons to make them look better (if that is necessary). Here are some sample tiles (2.5 inches wide) with the icon as it will appear in the current version of the game:

Background art created here: http://planetmaker.wthr.us/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Lucký
Czech Republic
Praha 4
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All those icons look bit too much similar. They can't be distinguished in a quick glance, which is the biggest problem...

For herbivore-omnivore-carnivore I'd perhaps suggest symbols of food instead of teeth. Your solution is definitely more original, but thats not something people want or expect from iconography
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
You're welcome. :]

• [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
You're welcome. :]

I was just going to suggest this. These are the solutions used in Dungeon Petz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
I agree with the others, the icons looks too similar.

I would go with something like was suggested in the post above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for meat/leaf icons. My children have Awesome Animals Top Trumps which uses a similar solution (though in that the Carnivore/Herbivore/Omnivore has no game play significance).

theTrueMikeBrown wrote:
Here are some sample tiles (2.5 inches wide) with the icon as it will appear in the current version of the game

I wouldn't be surprised if the colour scheme of those icons (red or green on brown background) was extremely difficult for colourblind people, and possibly difficult for people with perfect vision in artificial light. Ideally games should have icons which are still distinguishable but someone sitting across the table in a badly lit room and the icons have been printed in greyscale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:

Thanks! I really like this option. Is this artwork from somewhere specific, or did you just make it up?

If it is yours, could I use it for a prototype?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
That leaf and stake are under creative commons which I slightly modified (added bites) so yeas, you can use them for prototype. I think you can even use them for finished product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
8Oj4N wrote:
That leaf and stake are under creative commons which I slightly modified (added bites) so yeas, you can use them for prototype. I think you can even use them for finished product.

yeah i would go with Bojan's take on this. I like the iconography of what type of food the animal eats more than what type of teeth the animal has
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used game-icons.net for a recent prototype, in between realistic and stylized but tons of images and they look good when scaled down. Haven't looked for steak but they probably have a leaf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone. I think that I will declare this thread closed. I found the solution that I want (which is bitten meat and leaves).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.