Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the base game for several years and thought I'd try the Book of Steps variant. I was surprised how much easier it was than the base game. It seemed I always had a stack of discards to use-- and it was constantly growing. "Bad" things like throwing away my hand became a "good"t thing since it stocked the discards for spells. Is this the general consensus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly don't feel this way.

If my discard pile has lots of cards, that means my draw pile doesn't, and I'm probably going to lose. Spells can't help me then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I found the Book of Steps to make the game harder, not easier (unlike some of the other expansions).

How many games have you played with it? Sometimes, a few lucky games can give you a bit of a wrong impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
I also find it to be slightly harder, although more interesting to, as the spells really add to the decision process.

You need to swap the doors a few times unless you're extremely lucky, and that takes away the opportunity to cancel nightmares most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always play the difficult variant "The Lost Steps" with the higher costs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baltaistehws wrote:
You can always play the difficult variant "The Lost Steps" with the higher costs

I've found that if an expansion has a difficult variant, then that is always the 'proper' way to go.
Especially when combining with the easier ones like Glyphs and Crossroads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me this is the expansion to go for and I barely play the game without it anymore. It does not feel much "easier" to me but also not at all "harder". It feels a little more complex because as you said even if you have to discard cards you know they will fuel your spells later.

Because of the spells it gives you more options and possibilities and especially later in the game it is much easier to defend against a nightmare that would otherwise wreck a perfect hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thorn

Middletown
New York
msg tools
I'd say it makes it harder. I've played it about 5 times, and haven't won yet, where the standard game i win maybe 2/3 of the time. I've come real close, but haven't won yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.