Subject: Best Adventure Card Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
I really like the idea of Adventure Card Games... they seem to want to overachieve by their very nature. I'd love to hear what you guys consider to be the best in the genre!

I'm certainly open to loose interpretations of the term... Clearly Pathfinder ACG qualifies, and I think Mistfall and LOTR LCG are right there too. How about Shadowrun Crossfire? It doesn't have an over-arching storyline, but it does have multiple scenarios and persistent character progression. I definitely have a quasi-RPG attachment to my party...

So many great games -- it's a wonderful time to be in the hobby!
Thanks for checking in!

-Blackwell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
So far my favorite is Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game. But as this will be discontinued, I have high hopes for Arkham Horror: The Card Game ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris [REDACTED]
United States
Arkham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 7th Continent looked pretty neat to me. I was on the fence about it, but ultimately didn't buy into it. However, if you're looking for an adventure card game, this seems directly up your alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aventuria if you are into rpg's. its based on The Dark Eye rpg. The kickstarter ends in 1 day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J N
msg tools
For the adventure side, I'd agree with "The 7th Contintent", but the kickstarter will arrive in Q1/2017.
From a horror point of view, I can't wait to get my hands on "Arkham Horror (The Card Game)", which should be out in a week or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm

Is an ACG the same as LCG?

The only ACG I've played, pathfinder, is close to an RPG with character development.

The LCG, LOTR, is very different. No rol aspects to it. The decks are not characters. Each adventure is "new"

Different animals, from my limited experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not out for another few months but Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game is fantastic. Unique, stunning artwork and a great narrative adventure that will generate different stories with each play. I played a demo and seriously can't wait to play the full game and start writing session reports - it really inspiredmy ccreative side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites are Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game and Shadowrun: Crossfire. Warhammer is a little more rpg-like and shadowrun is more of a puzzle. But both come out regularly for me.

Looking forward to Arkham LCG too... but too early to know for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Looking forward to Arkham LCG too... but too early to know for sure.

I'm still a bit undecided because of that pre-game deck building aspect ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
Man, I had such high hopes for Warhammer Quest... then I found out it would be discontinued before I even bought it. Horrible. From the reviews I've seen, the game really needed more content. Do you think it's worth buying now, knowing it's a one-shot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
Yeah, this does look like a great adventure... the theme is a little off the mark for me, which could be a problem because I usually reach for games based on the thematic mood I'm in. But if it's really as compelling as it looks, I'll probably be drawn into it regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
Aventuria definitely looks promising, thanks for putting me on to it! I generally don't do kickstarter, so once this game actually exists I'll look into it further. But for a classic, generic fantasy RPG adventure card game, this would probably be perfect, especially since I primarily play solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
Well, no, an ACG is not the same as an LCG, "...from a certain point of view."

I'm just saying "Adventure Card Game" for lack of a better term here. I'm really talking about theme. I guess I should say "adventure... card... game" AKA a card game that depicts an adventure, not an "Adventure Card Game" proper (if that can even be defined precisely, outside of the specific model established by Pathfinder ACG).

I'm just talking about card games that attempt to depict a hero, or party of heroes, on a grand adventure. LOTR LCG can be seen to do so, since your chosen heroes (and perhaps allies) are a party of sorts, and you are exploring locations, fighting enemies, and progressing through a continuous storyline.

I also don't think it needs to be fantasy themed; the buzz around the Arkham LCG is appropriate to this discussion, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblackwell wrote:
Man, I had such high hopes for Warhammer Quest... then I found out it would be discontinued before I even bought it. Horrible. From the reviews I've seen, the game really needed more content. Do you think it's worth buying now, knowing it's a one-shot?

Yes, absolutely. You'll get a great campaign with a good replay value and you can download all the fan content from here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
Wow, Ok! Thanks, Ron, I was feeling like all hope was lost for this game... but honestly, how many plays does each game in a collection usually get, anyway? If I could pull enjoy this a few times a year, I'd be satisfied. Ya don't need expansions for that!

Warhammer's back on the menu, boys! Grarrr!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblackwell wrote:
Warhammer's back on the menu, boys! Grarrr!

My wife and I played the enclosed single scenario first. Then, on a Sunday afternoon, we started the campaign. It was so tense, that we played all six scens in one row, till after midnight!
And we won meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
Amazing! That's certainly encouraging! Hahaha Way t' be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If PnP is not a problem, you may take a look at Barbarian Vince.

There is no entry in the BGG database but a Google search will get you to the page you can download it from. It is only 54 cards (6 pages) and 4 pages for the rules.

And if this is the best? That is in the eyes of the beholder, methinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warhammer Quest Cardgame and Arkham Horror Cardgame ofc.
Lord of the Rings is very popular too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
Very Interesting! Thank you! I like the idea of the whole game fitting in your pocket, sort of like Adventure of D, and any friend of Barbarian Prince is a friend of mine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblackwell wrote:
Well, no, an ACG is not the same as an LCG, "...from a certain point of view."

I'm just saying "Adventure Card Game" for lack of a better term here. I'm really talking about theme. I guess I should say "adventure... card... game" AKA a card game that depicts an adventure, not an "Adventure Card Game" proper (if that can even be defined precisely, outside of the specific model established by Pathfinder ACG).

I'm just talking about card games that attempt to depict a hero, or party of heroes, on a grand adventure. LOTR LCG can be seen to do so, since your chosen heroes (and perhaps allies) are a party of sorts, and you are exploring locations, fighting enemies, and progressing through a continuous storyline.

I also don't think it needs to be fantasy themed; the buzz around the Arkham LCG is appropriate to this discussion, in my opinion.

Would T.I.M.E Stories fit your criteria? Because that is extremely popular and well liked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.