1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: @Riot Games: Translated Cards Upgrade Pack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard
msg tools
Dear Riot Games Team,

I just purchased Mechs VS Minions in Germany.
Given the success of the game you will perhaps create translated versions of the game (German in my case).
Please consider offering translated upgrade kits of the game for early adopters that went with the english version of the game.
E.g. I would be willing to pay 20€/20$ just for translated versions of the cards in the game (still better than buying a new game).

P.S.: Not everybody would want to go that route of buying a (perhaps expensive) localized card pack, but I think there is a sufficient number of us that would do. So I would really appreciate if you would consider that option of translated card/upgrade packs if the game is produced in different languages in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Rothschuh
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A definite answer on later availability of translation packs would actually make some even consider jumping in now (me, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't really considered language packs as something you guys might want. I think I assumed the most player focused thing was to just make a complete German Edition. (Or sub German for any other language) I guess I thought that asking German players to buy the full game and then pay money on top of that to buy a language pack it just felt... Lame. Like I was double dipping or something? "English speakers got the game for $75, and I had to get it for $95." That sorta thing.

I hadn't really thought about regions preferring that approach. But, if there's interest, I'll at least take a look into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Rothschuh
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this approach is interesting for us early adopters.

In my case, for example, I can play the game now in English with my buddies. And if I get a German-language upgrade kit at a later date, I could play it with my daughters in a few years' time when they're old enough.

People who want to buy the game a year from now might indeed react the way you described.

Also, I think such a localized pack would need to include not only the cards, but also the scenarios.
The rules would only have to be included if there is no completely localized edition.

And finally, I think 20 Euros for such a pack would be a bit steep (especially considering the price of the base game).
I think 15 would be fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris!

In Spain and I know in France as well there is a company who is doing this for the games that came from Kickstarter.

If they publish the game in Spain, they also sell a "conversion pack" with only the elements that can be translated.
They did it with Scythe and XIA and it worked pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Riot can make this as a POD? Lots of companies do POD expansion/upgrade for their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
msg tools
@Chris: Thank you very much for your answer. Language packs are not that uncommon in the board game industry. Also as they are optional (probably being released at the same time as the full translated game) nobody will feel ripped off. We early adopters know what we are going for. I for example prefer german games, but if a game is really good (like yours) I'm willing to go with the english version as long as a german one is not available. But as I prefer a translated version I would be willing to buy a translation pack, but I would not want to invest the money to buy a complete new game (and I'm too lazy to invest the time to sell the english version when the german one is arriving. You know I'm not rich but I rather invest money than time for such things. And I believe the current Board Game Boom is largely driven by people willing to invest more money in their hobby than Video Gamers for example; Board Gamers only feel ripped off if a game or publisher overpromisses and underdelivers).

TLDR: Language Packs aren't are rip-off, they are an appreciated convenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celtic Joker wrote:
I think this approach is interesting for us early adopters.

In my case, for example, I can play the game now in English with my buddies. And if I get a German-language upgrade kit at a later date, I could play it with my daughters in a few years' time when they're old enough.

For me it would be the same. My game group would play in english (although german would be slightly more comfortable) and later with my kids in german.

Celtic Joker wrote:
Also, I think such a localized pack would need to include not only the cards, but also the scenarios.
The rules would only have to be included if there is no completely localized edition.

Imho offering the scenarios as localized downloadable content as it is now suffices. I would only need the cards.

Celtic Joker wrote:
And finally, I think 20 Euros for such a pack would be a bit steep (especially considering the price of the base game).
I think 15 would be fair.

The money value of doubled content in a different language is hard to estimate for me. It depends on the amount of cards in the batch (~200) an how much of them had to be translated I guess.
I would spend 10 € (including shipping) without thinking much.

It also depends on how language dependant this game really is. If all relevant card information is shown through understandable images and icons I might feel no need at all to get german cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like that idea of an translated pack of cards. (I want mine in French please). There is no need to supply the scenarios in the upgrade pack, specially if they are available downloads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also immediately buy an upgrade pack with german cards and maybe the envelopes and rulebook.

I often early adopt games, und support board game makers through kickstarter and similar platforms.

But that also means, that I buy a lot of games in english, that later get translated to german, but of course I won't buy the whole game again just for translated cards.

I have no problem with reading and understanding english, but some of my friends have unfortunately. Which means they won't enjoy Mechs vs. minions, or I won't play with them at all.

So a translation pack would be much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a German version (or other languages, for that matter) at some point in the future, printing some extra decks of cards for the early adopters to buy should hopefully not be all that expensive.
Having ordered the Enligh version, I would happily buy such an upgrade pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
msg tools
Riot Kades wrote:
I hadn't really considered language packs as something you guys might want. I think I assumed the most player focused thing was to just make a complete German Edition. (Or sub German for any other language) I guess I thought that asking German players to buy the full game and then pay money on top of that to buy a language pack it just felt... Lame. Like I was double dipping or something? "English speakers got the game for $75, and I had to get it for $95." That sorta thing.

I hadn't really thought about regions preferring that approach. But, if there's interest, I'll at least take a look into it.

I just found the german versions of the rulebook and journals. Some cards in these documents are already translated.

Do you already got translated versions of all the cards in digital format?

We could sleeve the cards, print the translated cards and add them to the sleeves, so that we can enjoy the game with our non-english speaking friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Rothschuh
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alder99 wrote:
I just found the german versions of the rulebook and journals. Some cards in these documents are already translated.

Where?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Celtic Joker wrote:
alder99 wrote:

Where?!

Mechsvsminions.com under 'Download Dossiers'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Baier
Germany
flag msg tools
I mean this is probably a nice thing to have for people that could not wait, but I am just waiting for a fully translated game. Don't like paying extra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since Chris has been asking for participation in this thread, here are my 2 cents: I would indeed be interested in getting a German language pack as an upgrade. I expect to play this game mostly with a group of colleagues, and some of them aren't fluent in German, so it had to be the English version for me. However, I'm sure that there will also be the occasional MvM session with family members. They are able to read English well enough, but it would be easier and more natural for them to use German-language coomponents. So, after getting a German localisation pack, I'd actually keep on using both sets of components, depending on who I'm playing with.

This is of course assuming that we all like the game well enough to keep playing it over and over to make the purchase of such a language pack worthwile ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also include the translated cards in the BIG expansion that will come out very soon.
Just kidding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertram Vogel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you will produce a full german version, I would be interested in an upgrade pack too.

I would have actually preferred a german version from the beginning (easier to play with family / kids), but I understand that you started with an english version only.

I only bought the english version now, because:
a) I wanted to show my support!
b) It is not sure if there will ever exist a german version. So I thought better get a english version to have the game at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also be someone that would be interested in that. I play with my family that speaks almost exclusively german as well as with some colleagues where our shared language is english, so whenever I have a game I can easily play with both crowds without the need to make my own cheat sheets I'm on board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kanand
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
KedynX wrote:
If you will produce a full german version, I would be interested in an upgrade pack too.

I would have actually preferred a german version from the beginning (easier to play with family / kids), but I understand that you started with an english version only.

I only bought the english version now, because:
a) I wanted to show my support!
b) It is not sure if there will ever exist a german version. So I thought better get a english version to have the game at all ;)

Yeah, just my thoughts. English is no problem for playing with most friends, but for playing with my kids. So I would surely buy an upgrade pack. But I bought the game now to not miss it.

Maybe a language pack is more easy to produce than the full game and less of a finacial investment, because it is just cardboard and paper. If you think thats the case you could launch language packs in the most wanted languages before reprinting full versions with rules/cards in different languages. Just a thought.

In the end there should be a full german version nevertheless. Just because its a great game that should be available to more people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.M. Woggle-Bug, T.E.
msg tools
Royal College of Arts and Athletic perfection
badge
Inventor of Knowledge Pills
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't received my game yet, but as far as I understand it, the first printing needs some minor errata/component fixes. If these were included...

Edit: Only played the tutorial and first mission so far, but there was so little english knowledge required, that even players that usually have a hard time with the language, had no problem at all. Remember this is a coop-game and you are welcome to help your buddies understand the cards.
Of course this might change with an increasing number of cards. Especially with the (still unannounced) 2017 expansion packs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Stelling
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
dasmurphy
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy also an upgrade pack for german with cards and errata fixes.

I bought the english version for showing support and i also don't know if a german version is coming.

I would also use a Print and Play option for the all the cards. That would be fine for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. English with my wife, but for my kids German cards would help. The rule book is not necessary, we can download it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
willy wumse
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:

Are you new to the board game community?! Who put you in charge of the project? Of course everyone would love to have language kits as an option!

Keiwa wrote:
Hi Chris!

In Spain and I know in France as well there is a company who is doing this for the games that came from Kickstarter.

If they publish the game in Spain, they also sell a "conversion pack" with only the elements that can be translated.
They did it with Scythe and XIA and it worked pretty well.

You're talking about Morning Players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.