$15.00
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Was wondering if I should upgrade to the newer one. Are their major changes are just cosmetic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played all the cases, but I have read that some of the cases had different answers. Also, 2 of the cases in the new one were recently updated, while the old one had some mistakes which were not updated as far as I know and you needed to put in the changes by hand.
So I would consider the newest version a refinement and the best version to learn to play. Also, each case has its own separate file, so it is physically easier to play. Whether it is worth the cost is up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about and content changes. I do know that the first printings of the new version had some major errors in a couple of cases - I haven't been able to figure out if those errors are also in the old versions of the game as well - that have been fixed in the new priting. There were also some typos and minor errors in some other parts of the game that didn't much affect play (e.g., some french abbreviations that weren't translated); I'm not sure if they've also been updated. Maybe somebody in the know will chime in...

As far as the cosmetic changes, while the new version is very well-made and nice looking, it isn't perfect. The font is harder to read and some of the art, depending on your taste, might seem a tad garish if you liked the old "classic" look of the binder edition.

Personally, I would keep the the binder version, barring any major content changes, because I like the classic look. The exception for me would be if the errors in the first printing of the Ystari were also present in the Sleuth versions. In which case, I'd save the hassle and buy a current print of the Ystari. I was thinking that the compatibility of the new expansions (if/when they see English releases) might also be a good reason to update, but when the expansions are released I'm assuming the old ones will get a lot less expensive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Martial Solal - Bluesine || Balade du 10 Mars || Just Friends || In & Out
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Checkallday wrote:
Personally, I would keep the the binder version, barring any major content changes, because I like the classic look. The exception for me would be if the errors in the first printing of the Ystari were also present in the Sleuth versions.

I know for a fact that at least some of the errors in the first Ystari version were not present in my old school binder version, for example this one: Re: Locations of Allies incorrect?

I seem to recall a discussion raising the possibility that Ystari started by translating the original to French, and then made an English version by translating back to English again after making some changes. The changes plus two translations add up to three distinct points where errors could have been introduced in the English language version; it's not surprising that some crept in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.