10 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: Order of invitations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter F
msg tools
Hey.
Is the order in which players May invite allies and accept it important?
We played that both main players were inviting their allies at the Same time.
Then the other players would join how they felt like.
E.g. One helped the Defender and then One throught because of that he would help the attacker and so on.

Is there a reason Not to do it this Way, Cause i found Out that there rules say it should be done in order.
Im asking because the game fell really flat...
Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer to play exactly as the rules state. Attacker invites, Defender invites, other accept (or not) clockwise from left of Attacker.

...but then, I like to fool myself that everyone is paying attention to the game state and the implications of alliance decisions.

I'm the guy getting prickled when the alliance phase begins Attacker saying "Who's coming in with me?" and ships hitting the cone from all directions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Brown
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ths rule is in the category of things that usually don't matter very much but someties matter a lot.

Best in this circumstance to stick to the structure so it becomes routine and does not cause a problem on the occasion when it really does matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The next expansion will solve the problem of people jumping in before invitations are even finished. Hidden Alliances is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
The next expansion will solve the problem of people jumping in before invitations are even finished. Hidden Alliances is great.

I just got giddy with excitement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

Uh-oh...

-----

A looooong time ago, I created an alien called the Priest, that could change the order of alliance invitations and joinings (among other things - controlling the order of alliances only is not sufficiently powerful for an alien). It never worked particularly well, and became too complicated for all the other stuff I had to add to it to make it viable. But I still think it's possible to have an alien that messes with alliance order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miser wrote:
I much prefer to play exactly as the rules state. Attacker invites, Defender invites, other accept (or not) clockwise from left of Attacker.

...but then, I like to fool myself that everyone is paying attention to the game state and the implications of alliance decisions.

I'm the guy getting prickled when the alliance phase begins Attacker saying "Who's coming in with me?" and ships hitting the cone from all directions.

Our first play the alliance phase seemed silly and arbitrary. The more we play, the deeper the game gets and smart alliances become more important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably best to play rules as written in terms of order, but players have a habit of getting excited and jumping in and out of turn.

As such, I've come to believe there's nothing wrong with having the alliance phase turn into a free-for-all with a lot of back and forth and wheedling and threatening and negotiating until somebody finally calls it and forces everyone to make a final decision. At the very least, I don't think it goes against the spirit of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My main group is pretty disciplined about going in order, but I have no problems with a free-for-all in general either. As long as someone can ask for things to go in order when it really matters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there's no reason why you can't have some table discussion about alliances before they are officially joined. It's perfectly within the rules to say, "Are you going to join Red?" and use the answer to make your decision about allying. And it's also perfectly within the rules to lie when answering such a question. And of course, such a lie may have consequences later in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.