8 Posts

Cottage Garden» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you discard extra cat tokens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Page 8 says you can only have 2 cats in your reserve at the end of your turn, and that you place any excess cats you have on flowerbeds at that time.

Is this mandatory? Can you discard the extra cats instead of placing them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: Can you discard extra cats?
SaltyHorse wrote:
Page 8 says you can only have 2 cats in your reserve at the end of your turn, and that you place any excess cats you have on flowerbeds at that time.

To my understanding you must place the excess cat immediately on the other flowerbed you already had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can you discard extra cats?
Aw, that subject made me sad...I wanted to shout "NO, YOU CANNOT JUST DISCARD THE EXTRA CATS! All cats deserve a home!" and cuddle with my two rescue kitties.

On the actual subject, though, I do not know the answer to the rule...I really look forward to this game, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
alicialaura wrote:
Aw, that subject made me sad...I wanted to shout "NO, YOU CANNOT JUST DISCARD THE EXTRA CATS! All cats deserve a home!" and cuddle with my two rescue kitties.

Don't worry, the general supply has enough cat amenities.

EDIT: BGG forums strip out emojis from posts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
My Blog - Shades Of Boardgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
SaltyHorse wrote:

Hi Ori!

You do not discard the cats, you put them onto the flowerbeds. As you need to be at two cats at the end of your turn, you can put them of any of the two beds, even a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MeeplePeat wrote:
As you need to be at two cats at the end of your turn, you can put them of any of the two beds, even a new one.

Are you sure?
To my understanding: first you score, if a scoring-cube passes the red line then you receive a cat, if you already have two cats you must place it on the flowerbed. At that time one of your flowerbeds is full, because you are scoring it, the other should receive the cat. After the scoring you empty the flowerbed that has just scored, flip it and take a new one. The only thing left to do is move the gardener.

This is how I have played it til now and it makes sense to us. If the cat is allowed to be put on the new flowerbed as well, it becomes even easier than it already is (I consider Cottage Garden a very light game, and very cute).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
My Blog - Shades Of Boardgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsaar wrote:
MeeplePeat wrote:
As you need to be at two cats at the end of your turn, you can put them of any of the two beds, even a new one.

Are you sure?
To my understanding: first you score, if a scoring-cube passes the red line then you receive a cat, if you already have two cats you must place it on the flowerbed. At that time one of your flowerbeds is full, because you are scoring it, the other should receive the cat. After the scoring you empty the flowerbed that has just scored, flip it and take a new one. The only thing left to do is move the gardener.

This is how I have played it til now and it makes sense to us. If the cat is allowed to be put on the new flowerbed as well, it becomes even easier than it already is (I consider Cottage Garden a very light game, and very cute).

Hi Jérôme,

yes I am sure as the german and english rules (even here on BGG) state this on page 8:

Eng.Rules wrote:
Limit for Cats
You may only have two Cats in your personal reserve at the end of your turn. If you have more than two, place at least as many Cats on empty spaces of your Flowerbeds until you meet the requirement. If you complete a Flowerbed, score it as described above

Also under "Cats and other Bonuses" you have the note on "..or place it in front of you for later."

In terms of lightness, well it has an easier approach for sure, as you can play it straight forward. When looking deeper and wrapping your mind around the future turns and which tiles you might wont have your opponents to get, it gets more interesting as you need to thing how to deny these or use a cat for refill just to get that perfect tile before they do. Also that you not just try to fill your board to cover it and need to look for the correct tile is something I like. Last but not least the timing aspect to have your flowerbeds completed when the gardener turns "6". But Cottage Garden is far from medium/heavy range.

Hope this helps
Peat

BGG - Blog: Shades Of Boardgaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MeeplePeat wrote:
Hope this helps
Peat

It does. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.