7 Posts

Signorie» Forums » General

Subject: Thinking of buying this game. are the variants essential ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, I've been wanting to pick this game up for a while now, but I'm terrible at thinking about negative reviews rather than the positive ones, are the variants essential? mainly it'll be my wife and I playing the game. I just feel that Nippon and madeira will be a bit too complex for our 1st whats your game title. thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I've only played once, but I feel the 1 shorter round variant is essential, perhaps even 2 rounds shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. None are essential.

However, if you are playing primarily two-player there is a variant to change up the city tiles as to simulate multiple families being courted as the game goes on. I would suggest that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the general consensus is that the '1 less round' variant really helps shorten the game without making the game any less interesting/challenging/fun.
I will definitely play with that variant next time. (Played it twice so far and both times I think it took too long)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stonewall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it a few times (maybe 3 or 4?). I think the one fewer round variant, while not essential, adds quite a bit of urgency to the game and makes it much more enjoyable for me. Without that variant the game feels a little too easy and open for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try them, you'll probably like them. We always add this houserule: return all left over crests to a bag and refill the houses every round. This prevents stagnation and adds urgency to diplomatic missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played the game three times now without any variants, and the game was great.

I never once thought "the game could be shorter", or "I wish I could still do x".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.