Subject: Military / Ex-Military Gamers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iain Blackwood
United Kingdom
Lisburn
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any military / ex-military gamers out there? I personally served 4 years in the Royal Signals (British Army). Also did a tour of Afghanistan in 2009.

If so, any military themed games you would recommend that you play or have played?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Leevers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Former Britmil here.

For solo play, I think A Distant Plain and Fire in the Lake from the COIN series are great.

Cheers,

H
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Newuser! Not military but willing to chip in.

What era of warfare are you interested in most? Do you like tactical games or large scale, grand strategy games?

I've got No Retreat! The Russian Front on the table right now. Very good WW2 East Front sim, covers the whole thing.

Edit.... The whole No Retreat series is great so far.... Check out GMT Games, they're fantastic! All their wargames are high quality...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Blackwood
United Kingdom
Lisburn
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cracky wrote:
What era of warfare are you interested in most? Do you like tactical games or large scale, grand strategy games?

Well I know of the miniature war-games like Bolt Action, Warhammer 40k (for fantasy themes) etc. I guess I am looking for both tactical and large scale strategy games. I am totally new to this, and really interested in finding excellent and potentially long winded games. Ones that last a campaign or evolve over time with each play.

Someone over in the other forum mentioned VASSAL? Is that correct? Not sure what that is but they said to mention it here for more info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a large scale strategy game, go for World in Flames.

ETA: not military or ex-military, just recommending a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
GAF, Captain Artillery, ret.
If you are starting have a look at the C&C games. No better entry level wargame. And for almost all timeframes there is a game available. Or some fine fellow Geek doing strange scenarios (Thanks, Pete!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Retired USAF here. I will second the Commands and Colors games by Richard Borg.

They are easy to learn, informative, and if you can play one of them, it is only a small matter to learn the rules for the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I was enlisted in the US Marine Corps for four years.

That experience gives me a certain level of enjoyment from low-level tactical games. Up Front is particularly awesome, as is Combat Commander.

My real passion is high-level strategic games, the bigger and more complicated the better. I play some of the notable "monsters" like World in Flames and its variants. Federation and Empire (Star Trek galactic war game) is my current thing. These games are great but are a significant time investment, both in learning and playing, as games can easily run 100 hours or more.

The stuff in between, the so-called operational scale games, just bores me to tears. Some people really seem to like them, though.

I'm fortunate enough to have a wife who will also play these games with me, and she usually wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blacky47 wrote:
Any military / ex-military gamers out there? I personally served 4 years in the Royal Signals (British Army). Also did a tour of Afghanistan in 2009.

If so, any military themed games you would recommend that you play or have played?

There are a lot of us here on BGG. Welcome -- this is a great resource for the budding wargamer as well as for the old-timers. Plenty of people willing to answer your questions, many of which have been asked before.

The key is to find a topic or theme that interests you, and then dive in. Below are a couple of threads and geeklists worth looking at to help you in your quest. I'm sure others can add a few more.

Wargame/Wargaming Grasshopper, Noob, Rookie, Padawan List

Wargames??? YES YOU CAN!

Wargamer's Guide to Wargaming Geeklists

Solitaire War Games

BGG wargames subdomain FAQ, references and general mayhem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Retired US Navy officer (25 years). My favorite naval games are Victory at Midway and Solomon Sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Blackwood
United Kingdom
Lisburn
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's great to see so many people into war-games from both a military and non military background

Tell me this, are any of these games online based for groups separated by distance to play? i don't think there are gamers near me (Northern Ireland) that would maybe be interested in large scale games or these types of games, (if I am wrong, please correct me!).

Are large scale online campaigns common?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Former U.S. Army captain (Cold War era). I have a strong preference for operational scale games. Always found it too hard to relate tactical scale wargames to reality, though I will still give Panzerblitz a spin every once in a while. I think you'll find that even among us wargamers with a military background there is a wildly varying range of tastes in wargames. I know in my case, I started wargaming before I ever joined the Army, so there's not actually that much overlap between the two (hell, I love naval wargames but I hate Navy, at least during football season!)

Welcome aboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blacky47 wrote:
It's great to see so many people into war-games from both a military and non military background

Tell me this, are any of these games online based for groups separated by distance to play? i don't think there are gamers near me (Northern Ireland) that would maybe be interested in large scale games or these types of games, (if I am wrong, please correct me!).

M'44 Online at: https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44-online/en/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Blacky47 wrote:

Many of the board wargames have an electronic equivalent built on the VASSAL platform. VASSAL allows you to play board wargames on the computer either live or saving a game play then sending it to the opponent. Playing live is typically done through Skype or another audio/video communication tool where you and your opponent will move game pieces and the other side immediately sees it on their screen.

http://www.vassalengine.org/

Click the modules tab to see the tons of games available for VASSAL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I hate Navy, at least during football season!

You wound me, Sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Bolger
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blacky47 wrote:

First, I'm former US Army-- served 2010-2015, and did a tour in Ghazni province about halfway through that (2012-2013).

Can't speak to online, but I can tell you that potential wargamers are everywhere-- it's just that most of them don't know it, and the ones that do tend to talk themselves into believing there's no one will play these games with them, anyway (so you're comfortably ahead of them).

I've had luck introducing friends and family through Hammer of the Scots and more recently Moscow '41. These are both relatively simply operational-level block games. Based on your interests, I'd consider looking into M41. There's a lot of individual units, but the mechanics are simple enough to teach.

That won't necessarily scratch your large-scale itch, but it will plant the seeds for the beginnings of a good face-to-face group, if you so choose.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Blackwood
United Kingdom
Lisburn
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hammer of the Scots looks really interesting to me, since I am Scottish and a Highlander! (Albeit, just living in Northern Ireland).

My fiance loves to play tabletop games but I think wargames may be a stretch for her... maybe this can help swing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

You wound me, Sir!

I'd be less annoyed if we could just beat you guys once in a while!
angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
jpr755 wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

You wound me, Sir!

angry

All Good Things Must Come to an End.

Just please not this year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I lat moved from USMC Light Armored Recon to the 1st Civ Div back in 2012 after GWOTing all over. I run into former service, reservists, and guardsmen everywhere I go to play wargames.

Welcome to cardboard country.

Go Navy(and Marine Corps) beat Army!

Edit: Were you in Helmand in 2009? I was mostly in Reg District in 2009. Maybe we walked right past each other when the Yanks were over on Bastion trying to get beer and curry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kreutzet
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also keep in mind what military perspectives and design values military veterans bring to wargaming.

As a cold war/lil' gulf war Army veteran, with later Afghanistan experience, I look at wargames from both a military history and operational simulation effectiveness perspective. Are the resources and goals for both sides clear? Are some more achievable than others? What are the consequences of failure/missed opportunities? When is it right to use a bold move as force multiplier, and when to watch an unfavorable turn for the enemy unfold? What are the logistics and morale factors? How much game detail is appropriate to the player's level of simulation (a point I feel monster games fail at). And, what is a military commander likely to seek to accomplish (this point especially for wargame design).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
jpr755 wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

You wound me, Sir!

:angry:

All Good Things Must Come to an End.

Just please not this year...

USAF; four years peace-time back in the age of the dinosaur, (OK - the Reagan admin) and our football team has been pretty tough for the last decade or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fifteen years as an Air Force brat doesn't qualify me for a pension...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.