19 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Already selling on BGG Geekmarket rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bree M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three copies already up for sale on BGG Geekmarket?!?
Why even buy the game if you're just going to sell it, just leave it in stock on the website for those who actually want it!
One copy is even a shipment #2 copy for December shipping! FFS!
Please no one buy these and just buy a shipment #2 copy for yourself direct from riot games...it's not like it's even sold out yet and it's far cheaper.
What a joke thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Because you can make money from it. There are people who really want the game. It makes perfect sense to buy as many copies as possible, then sell them to those people at a higher price than retail (as they will clearly buy it from you). I don't see even 1 little problem with that. The beauty of being allowed to buy and sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bree M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes no sense, as I said one of the copies is a shipment #2 copy, not to even be shipped to the seller until December. It's listed at $200 + shipping (only within the US). Why wouldn't someone just buy it direct from the site? It would be much cheaper and they'll likely get it delivered before the Geekmarket copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is supply, demand, capitalism and free market for you.

If you make LESS items available than people would be interested to buy, then the relative price of the item is actually notably higher than the initial offer.

Riot Games made it worse by limiting stock per region and not shipping to some countries at all (which I've ranted about in other thread already), because this meant that there were passionate customers they simply cut out, who were unable to get it, increasing the relative price even higher.

If even small percentage of those left out (either due to shipping or the server issues) are willing to pay a high price for the product, then there will be sellers who will be selling their own 'luck'. some might have placed an order simply so they could sell it. But some may have bought it with a desire to get it themselves, but due to demand, the relative price climbed so high that the customer who bought it for a good and honest reason realised that NOW the value of selling it and buying it again later is simply more beneficial to them for whatever reason.

Riot Games made a mistake by not investigating the actual demand before the offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Maiello
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see is that anyone is entitled to sell what they want to sell for the price they see fit. And anyone is free to buy if they think that is the right thing to do.

Can't blame the sellers, can't blame the buyers.

Can't blame the hype-mongers either for as long as there are people falling for it, they have served their interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
msg tools
It's capitalism at its worst. People entirely out for themselves. Taking the very selfless act riot did for us and looking to make a quick $ from it.

I wish Riot had printed a big 'Always available for $75 from the site' sticker on it so people don't get fooled by this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The opposite of capitalism is solidarity. Denying a fellow gamer a game he really wants for just $ 100 profit.

You have enough money to invest. Then the hassle of posting (lazy enough for US ship only)for just $ 100 profit.

Even worse that is Riot Games is no doubt making much less profit, and their policy is give each gamer a game they really want to play.

It really stinks.
yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bree M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that people can do what they want with their games and that it's a free world etc etc blah blah blah but all I was basically saying is that it's a shit greedy thing for people to do, especially after riot tried to give people the best prices and cheapest shipping possible and limiting it to one copy to give as many people as possible the chance to buy it. Gamers shouldn't be trying to make ridiculous profits off other gamers for a game that is still available that they obviously didn't even want for themselves in the first place. And I'm hoping that people don't buy these copies and instead buy one from riot and give the profit to the company who made the game rather than some selfish greedy person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Bizzle88 wrote:
I was basically saying is that it's a shit greedy thing for people to do

So? Nothing wrong with greed. All the world's most successful people are greedy. Let people be greedy if they want. It isn't going to have any impact on your enjoyment of playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bree M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
Bizzle88 wrote:
I was basically saying is that it's a shit greedy thing for people to do

So? Nothing wrong with greed. All the world's most successful people are greedy. Let people be greedy if they want. It isn't going to have any impact on your enjoyment of playing the game.

Hahaha! No it probably won't impact my enjoyment of playing the game, but this is just my opinion on the matter; which I'm totally entitled to have, just as you are entitled to yours...

That's what forums are for you know? laugh A place for people to post their ideas, opinions, questions etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Plenty wrong with greed. You and I have very different definitions of the word "successful" as well. I would argue that people you deem as "successful" fail in the most important areas of life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
This is supply, demand, capitalism and free market for you.

Giving this a free pass or calling "yay capitalism" seems like the same types of people who should support monopolies. Theoretically one of the goals of the US economy (and many other established markets) is to NOT support price gouging (Definitely not saying it happens all the time, but goal) and as a general rule I though most people were in favor of that. Based on what I've seen on BGG I'm either wrong or these "pro-cap" people are part of the gouging club.

People who feel this is "just capitalism" are why things like sporting venues and concerts have become a "highest bidder" endeavor rather than loyal fans.

There's a difference between accepting it as a reality and giving it a free pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
All the world's most successful people are greedy.

Prove it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel bad for anyone who doesn't know they can get it far cheaeper from Riot. The entries on Ebay are also charging $25 shipping. I really hope these people never sell them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Steinbauer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The problem I personally have with scalping is, that in inflates the price without contributing anything. There are a lot of ways to invest or make profit with actually doing something useful that adds to the whole instead of just taking away from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaladin Stormblessed
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'm on both sides here:
1. Charging massive mark-ups ($300+) is terrible since these people are prying on others who probably don't know that the game can be bought for $75 from riot and that riot has stated that they'll keep making it. It's not OPP.

2. On the other hand, if someone charges slightly more (say $120-$140) to cover the ridiculas 5 hours most of us spent trying to order, then that just covering the cost of the time put in.

In either case, I completely disagree with the above comment: "there's nothing wrong with greed". Greed is one of the worst evils in this world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Bizzle88 wrote:
That makes no sense, as I said one of the copies is a shipment #2 copy, not to even be shipped to the seller until December.

You are clearly not familiar with eBay then. There are any number of games on eBay that Amazon has for 50% less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bree M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melric wrote:
Bizzle88 wrote:
That makes no sense, as I said one of the copies is a shipment #2 copy, not to even be shipped to the seller until December.

You are clearly not familiar with eBay then. There are any number of games on eBay that Amazon has for 50% less.

I'm not talking about any other number of games. I'm talking about this game in particular and the fact it's still available for purchase from riot for less than any copy posted on the BGG Geekmarket (or eBay for that matter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bizzle88 wrote:
Melric wrote:
Bizzle88 wrote:

I'm not talking about any other number of games. I'm talking about this game in particular and the fact it's still available for purchase from riot for less than any copy posted on the BGG Geekmarket (or eBay for that matter)

They're placeholders. Eventually, the game will sell out on Riot's website (albeit temporarily) and their listings will already be up and ready to go. It's a preemptive move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.