Subject: GeekMarket - cancel purchase, offer different price? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering if there is a way to cancel a purchase - for example after the seller has confirmed the shipping cost and it gets too expensive for me, I'd like to conveniently reject my offer.

Another feature I would be interested in is offering a different price for the seller. I think there is no such option at the moment in GeekMarket?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
This sort of thing can also crop up in trades where disproportionate shipping costs may be involved.

I think you'd be better off having these kind of discussions with the seller before placing the order/accepting trade. Maybe they would entertain offers, or having given you a shipping quote before you placed the order if it turns out they've massively under-estimated then they would be the one on the back foot.

Of course there is always the temptation to get your order in first before anyone else picks up the game.blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Rather than making the offer and having to cancel, I'd prefer a formal marketplace feature to "Request Shipping Quote" or "Request Total Price".

It would only be available if all items in the cart are from the same seller, would pass along necessary address data, and wouldn't remove the items from active sale. The quote or price returned would automatically include text indicating it expires after X days.

There would be a limit on the number of such requests a buyer could make in a given period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are accepting a trade, the shipping is on you. You know how much it's going to cost you to ship Twilight Imperium. If you aren't willing to pay your side of the shipping, don't offer it up for trade.

As far as sales, sellers who do this get negative feedback from me. A good seller will let you know if shipping is going to be unusual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamiea wrote:
Rather than making the offer and having to cancel, I'd prefer a formal marketplace feature to "Request Shipping Quote" or "Request Total Price".

It would only be available if all items in the cart are from the same seller, would pass along necessary address data, and wouldn't remove the items from active sale. The quote or price returned would automatically include text indicating it expires after X days.

There would be a limit on the number of such requests a buyer could make in a given period.

Ugh. So I'm expected to get an appropriate box, pack it up and weigh it, so I can send you the exact shipping? And then you can decide if you want to buy it? Please.

angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
next time GM the seller and ask for a shipping quote BEFORE you click purchase. If you want to offer a different price, again, GM the seller your offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Windopaene wrote:
Ugh. So I'm expected to get an appropriate box, pack it up and weigh it, so I can send you the exact shipping? And then you can decide if you want to buy it? Please.

angry

I can see why you'd say that, but then look at the message right after yours, and the OP too. The options we have now are the same, just less transparent and take a bit longer - place the order or send a geekmail, and then you the seller goes through exactly those machinations you listed to reply with exact shipping, and then the buyer doesn't respond or says no thanks or agrees but then never pays. At least that's what some sellers state as a concern. Then there are those who complain that buyers dare request shipping quotes at all.

So there's not really a difference at all except it would be slightly faster for buyers and clearer to newbies.

Obviously a far better solution, and my preference, would allow for shipping to be determined up front by one or both parties but that doesn't seem to be in the cards for BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
If you are accepting a trade, the shipping is on you. You know how much it's going to cost you to ship Twilight Imperium. If you aren't willing to pay your side of the shipping, don't offer it up for trade.

I've had attractive trade requests where I've asked the proposer to check their shipping costs as I've suspected they'll be disproportionate, and lost the trade. I'd rather do that than aggressively accept the trade and demand shipment. I've been on the receiving end of that, and frankly it stinks. We just need to cut each other some slack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the communication part about a given sale order should be handled inside the GeekMarket "purchase process" - not using alternative case for writing letters to each other.

I am just talking about enhancing the user experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:
next time GM the seller and ask for a shipping quote BEFORE you click purchase. If you want to offer a different price, again, GM the seller your offer.

And the seller would do what if he agrees? Ok, make the purchase and ignore the total price in GeekMarket? Or just make the whole deal in GeekMail and ignore the GeekMarket process?

Say I am willing to buy 5 games from him, if I get it 10% cheaper? Or with free shipping or something. How that would be done using the GeekMarket?

The current GeekMarket needs to be more flexible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Mosaic
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jux_ wrote:
I think the communication part about a given sale order should be handled inside the GeekMarket "purchase process" - not using alternative case for writing letters to each other.

I am just talking about enhancing the user experience.

It might enhance it from your end as a purchaser, but I think it might make it a nightmare from the seller's perspective. I know I'd think twice before listing on the BGG Marketplace if I knew anyone and everyone could tie me up in a back-and-forth process during which I couldn't sell to someone else.

As others have suggested, you don't need a formal feature anyway. Simply send a geekmail to the seller and work it out before you click buy; that's all it takes. If the seller won't respond, obviously you should step away. But that's never happened for me. People here tend to be more than happy to nail down the details in advance, and that's the surest way to guarantee a good experience for both buyer and seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Sphere wrote:
anyone and everyone could tie me up in a back-and-forth process during which I couldn't sell to someone else.

Maybe I'm missing something here as I don't see where this has been proposed. I thought most are arguing against exactly that situation which is the formal status quo: Buyer places order which removes the items from the market, THEN finds out the total price and chooses whether or not to purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jux_ wrote:
I am just talking about enhancing the user buyer experience.

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Sphere wrote:
People here tend to be more than happy to nail down the details in advance, and that's the surest way to guarantee a good experience for both buyer and seller.

Agreed... which is why that's more an argument in favor of formalizing it as an optional process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamiea wrote:
Sphere wrote:
People here tend to be more than happy to nail down the details in advance, and that's the surest way to guarantee a good experience for both buyer and seller.

Agreed... which is why that's more an argument in favor of formalizing it as an optional process.

No, it's an argument against adding unnecessary work for the site programmers. You've already got the option via geekmail - use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamiea wrote:
Sphere wrote:
anyone and everyone could tie me up in a back-and-forth process during which I couldn't sell to someone else.

Maybe I'm missing something here as I don't see where this has been proposed. I thought most are arguing against exactly that situation which is the formal status quo: Buyer places order which removes the items from the market, THEN finds out the total price and chooses whether or not to purchase.

We're in a thread where people are advocating a change to the current software. The status quo and a formal change are at opposite poles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Sphere wrote:
jamiea wrote:
Sphere wrote:

We're in a thread where people are advocating a change to the current software. The status quo and a formal change are at opposite poles.

I'm fine with the characterization I made, it was accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamiea wrote:
Sphere wrote:
jamiea wrote:
Sphere wrote:

I'm fine with the characterization I made, it was accurate.

Good for you, Jamie. Are you in marketing? They might have a position for you in Redmond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jux_ wrote:
Normiyagi wrote:

And the seller would do what if he agrees? Ok, make the purchase and ignore the total price in GeekMarket? Or just make the whole deal in GeekMail and ignore the GeekMarket process?

Say I am willing to buy 5 games from him, if I get it 10% cheaper? Or with free shipping or something. How that would be done using the GeekMarket?

The current GeekMarket needs to be more flexible.

if the seller agrees, they would change the prices/shipping costs in the geekmarket to reflect the agreed upon discount with a special note saying who the customer is and what the discount is for (within the item description). It is really not that difficult to do and I have done it several times for customers buying multiple games from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.