64 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: 2 Core Set Controversy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ashley
msg tools
This debate rolls on. It is really about 'Who can afford what'. My bone of contention is all the waste in a 2nd set. Do we need 2 sets of rules, identical Quests, same Investigators? I am sure more people would buy a cheaper 'upgrade' that just added more investigator deck cards and a few extra tokens just in case. IE No wasted bits! Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rashley wrote:
This debate rolls on. It is really about 'Who can afford what'. My bone of contention is all the waste in a 2nd set. Do we need 2 sets of rules, identical Quests, same Investigators? I am sure more people would buy a cheaper 'upgrade' that just added more investigator deck cards and a few extra tokens just in case. IE No wasted bits! Cheers!

snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Herodier
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rashley wrote:
My bone of contention is all the waste in a 2nd set.

This is one thing that *really* annoys me about LotR LCG. Adventure packs come with a play set of every card (even ones that explicitly say you can only use a single copy of in a deck).
The Core Set, on the other hand, has a bunch of 2-ofs and 1-ofs... If you do go the full nine yards and buy 3 copies of the core set, you'll end up with:
6x extra copies of every "common" player card
3x extra copies of every "uncommon" player card
2x extra full sets of enemy/scenario cards
2x extra full sets of tokens
2x extra sets of instructions
2x extra boxes (which you probably need to store all the duplicates you now have)

All for the ~50ish cards you actually want. That's less cards than you get in a typical adventure pack...

The amount of waste is honestly more of a barrier to me than the cost involved (although that is a high barrier too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. If I could just get a second set of the relevant cards only and the extra tokens, I would have already ordered it. I wouldn't even mind if the profit margin were a bit bigger. I just object to the waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only is this discussion tired and old, but the proposed solution is tired and old. Sorry.

It's just not going to happen. FFG knows their market well enough and has the data that will tell them whether it's worth their while to print an "upgrade" expansion for their LCGs. It hasn't happened, so I assume that it won't - despite how strongly I feel that it's something that I'd want (depending on price).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, it's this discussion? I wasn't expecting at all. In fact, it was just as unexpected as the Spanish Inquisition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cain
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rashley wrote:

It's not as bad as all that. Keep in mind that the encounter sets in the core will be the only ones available to ALL future cycles, so (unless you're sleeving all your encounter cards) they're going to see some wear and tear. I personally am going to be pleased to have backups around.

And if you didn't have two of each investigator, you'd miss out on playing a "Roland's identity crisis"-style campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not a controversy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kime
United Kingdom
Brimfield
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We need another thread on this? Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Howsare
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Rashley wrote:

Was something wrong with the other dozen threads already about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vlad3theimpaler wrote:
Rashley wrote:

Was something wrong with the other dozen threads already about this?

Yes, this one really made sure that it was really, super clear that there was really actually a real debate.

You know rather than just understanding that this is FFG's way and has been since the beginning of the LCG model.

Even knowing that though the Game of Thrones core set was a huge step above every other core set previously released. It had one of every card except those that you needed to play up to four players with a single set (i.e. Varys, Littlefinger, etc.). That's awesome! So buying when buying multiple sets there was very little overlap, and what overlap there was were mostly staple cards.

In terms of player cards AH: LCG is likely exactly the same.

In terms of encounter cards I am looking at this as being able to have the scenarios assembled and ready to go for long sessions. That's a totally fine use for the extra sets for me.

Finally: if you don't like how the game is sold, don't buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:

I won't be buying a second core set, just out of principle. If they were to release an upgrade pack, like discussed earlier in this thread, I would buy that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
miloshot wrote:

I won't be buying a second core set, just out of principle. If they were to release an upgrade pack, like discussed earlier in this thread, I would buy that.

Oh really, even if they charged $30 you would buy it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the game is dead/dying/moribund/a bit peaky anyway, it doesn't matter how many core sets you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
Exo Desta wrote:
miloshot wrote:

Oh really, even if they charged $30 you would buy it?

Let's be reasonable.

But even given that situation, sure, why not? Am I so vain that I want them to use the resources to build me an extra rulebook that I will never use, nor any of the other redundant components, just because the cost is the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PERSPECTIVE Please--

People aren't just begrudging a purchase, and not just complainers, or cheap, etc... as some posters who love this format suggest...

Just one point -- where I am, after tax and shipping the core will be $65. So, is a card game (in the same format as a dozen others and really used theme, even if cool), worth $130 JUST to get the Full core experience ?

...especially considering the "milking it" nature of the selling model. Just something to consider when getting angry or insulting to people who are against or can't jump in. shake

This is a game "community"... I'm surprised there's so much nastiness against groups of people, instead of building up (though I do understand a bunch of the same type thread can annoy ). But that's just me, no further comment here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgb7 wrote:
PERSPECTIVE Please--
Just one point -- where I am, after tax and shipping the core will be $65. So, is a card game (in the same format as a dozen others and really used theme, even if cool), worth $130 JUST to get the Full core experience ?

This is besides the point, but you are in Canada ya? You do know that 401 Games has the coreset for $45 CAD, with $8.95 flat-rate shipping (or free, if you order over $150). Similar deals can be found at MeepleMart and BoardGameBliss.

Just trying to save you some money
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twitch_City wrote:
jgb7 wrote:
PERSPECTIVE Please--

This is besides the point, but you are in Canada ya? You do know that 401 Games has the coreset for $45 CAD, with $8.95 flat-rate shipping (or free, if you order over $150). Similar deals can be found at MeepleMart and BoardGameBliss.

Just trying to save you some money

He gets free health care, he can afford an extra core
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha ha ha, yeah, but there's no family doctors now to go to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Mesas
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
Interociter wrote:
Since the game is dead/dying/moribund/a bit peaky anyway, it doesn't matter how many core sets you buy.

Maybe I don't understand it and is just irony... Is the game dead already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luismesas wrote:
Interociter wrote:
Since the game is dead/dying/moribund/a bit peaky anyway, it doesn't matter how many core sets you buy. :p

He's British, innit? and tapping into the popular "this LCG is on its way out..." thread fodder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luismesas wrote:
Interociter wrote:

It's a joke. The game isn't dead. People like to propose a game's death when it isn't being talked about as much so someone made an ironic post asking that question about this game being unreleased. 100% fiction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a controversy. Also I'm not sure there is much of a debate. You either are okay with the format or it bugs you, but it is the format, and it's been the LCG format forever. This game only requiring 2 core sets to get the max of each player card is an improvement from other LCGs that would require 3 core sets. Also the printed rules clearly state what combinations of investigators you can field with 1 core set for a two player game, which is good enough to get you playing. You don't actually need the second core set unless you are playing for 3 or 4 players or you want complete freedom to mix and match investigators.

The bottom line is if you can't afford 2 core sets then buy 1 core set. If that bugs you too much that you don't have a complete play set then there are plenty of other games out there. Don't buy into this game. Look this is going to be an expensive games. After the core set you are basically signing up for a game that is going to have a monthly expense. Don't force yourself into a game that upsets you.

Also I'm pretty sure anything that can be said on this subject has already been said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Controversy?

It's basically a solo game.

Only thing people need to get a grip on is that two cores are needed for a 4 player expetience. Once the expansion wagon starts going full bore you won't care about original multiples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
Also I'm pretty sure anything that can be said on this subject has already been said.

Looking forward to having the same conversation all over again when Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game comes out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.