Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ho the forum!

What follows is an unfinished DIY mini-project, but i wanted to post some pics now before people start throwing away the extra cardboard from their new Conan boxes...

These bits come from the add-on boxes:

The core set has similar bits but they are in larger sheets, whereas these are pre-cut in a convenient size for...

With a bit of glue and cardboard, we can create a box (or two) for the gems or dice (the cards won't fit here because they're exactly the same size as these holes).

Here's a start:

i'm currently undecided on how to build the lid (e.g. as a flap or as a separate component).

Craftier users than myself will certainly come up with other ideas for these pieces.

Happy DIY'ing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gem Box, Version 1, is more or less done (still want to Mod Podge it):

Pics of the in-progress construction are available in my Conan album:

https://goo.gl/photos/bkNofQaFEFuDuCXS7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Josefsson
Sweden
Oviken
Sverige
flag msg tools
Very nice, thank you for the tip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea. If my copy ever arrives I will do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crawford
Australia
Invermay
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea Stephan - Hut ab! When I make mine, with my 9 year-old son, I will include a lesson about the value of not wasting resources and upcycling. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
Brilliant idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan The Dwarf
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great idea. Nice job thinking outside (or inside... or about... I don't know!) the box.

I don't have the game but this will definitely change the way I view my punch out "waste".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hild Thegreat
France
flag msg tools
Very good idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Building copy of this as we speak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen bruton
msg tools
mb
martimer wrote:
Good idea. If my copy ever arrives I will do this.

Like my copy. yours will forever be just around the corner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trastion
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this somehow still fit back into the box with everything else? There doesn't seem to be very much free room in either of the boxes as they come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trastion wrote:
Will this somehow still fit back into the box with everything else? There doesn't seem to be very much free room in either of the boxes as they come.

i have no idea, i don't use the boxes:

Now that you mention it, none of my favorite games are stored in their original boxes. All of them have setups similar to this one (though most are not nearly as large).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't fit the game back together after I took the tokens and tiles out of the cardboards. I reshuffled everything in both boxes and now they kind of manage to contain everything they originally had + plastic organizer for tokens + all add-ons I've bought. Oh, and the sleeved cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holt
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Areinu wrote:
I couldn't fit the game back together after I took the tokens and tiles out of the cardboards. I reshuffled everything in both boxes and now they kind of manage to contain everything they originally had + plastic organizer for tokens + all add-ons I've bought. Oh, and the sleeved cards.

What sleeves did you get for these small cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
humor4fun wrote:
Areinu wrote:

What sleeves did you get for these small cards?

"FFG yellow"-sized, thin sleeves work for me. Thick ones don't fit (too tight by a fraction of a millimeter). Specifically, i'm using these:

http://www.docsmagic.de/100-Docsmagicde-Mini-American-Board-...

i also tried Swan 43mm x 65mm, but they're too large for my tastes. They work, but they're too big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
Areinu wrote:

I am very interested in seeing how you managed to fit all that back in. Do have some pictures you can share?

Because I couldn't see how I could fit my King Pledge (only) into the two big boxes after having punched out the punchboards. I now have to keep the tiles in a separate little box and the dice, bases and (sleeved) cards in another little box (I had those lying around, no because I wanted specifically to use two separate boxes for it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the FFG mini(yellow) sleeves as well.

This is view from the side. Notice one of the boxes isn't closed completely. This is not much of issue, as you'll see in a second.

Left box holds hero cards, manuals, tiles and tokens. As for token box - I bought it in local store for around 1 buck. I was afraid my manuals would get damaged if kept like this, but they didn't.

Most of the hero cards are in resealable bags that I got with guest boxes. Very useful stuff.

Remove first layer and there is shorter box for minis, some big minis(the shorter plastic) and more tiles.

Meanwhile those are contents of second box that was sticking out. I removed the minis box, normally it sits where the gaping hole is on this photo. The higher box is used here. Under minis box you can find all 3 maps. Because the box actually stands on 3 maps and the big minis box there's no risk of damage to the components. Also cards, dice and colored bases are here.

Notice that in both boxes, under the plastic holders for giant monsters there are small minis from guest boxes(each hero mini sealed in it's own ziplog bag, monster groups are sealed together in ziplog bags).

I hold tiles separated by colors(each color in different ziplock bag) so when I setup scenario and need red pirates I take red bag, take out pirates and done. I found it to be quicker than trying to find pirates then select color.

Non-colored tiles are loosely gathered by their "type". So animal monsters are with other animals, demons are with other demons(including camel, most demonic of them all), humanoids with other humanoids and females in yet another bag(females are too, humanoids, but due to amount of humanoids they made for perfect different group).

The plus - I can find everything I need relatively quickly, I can hold everything in 2 boxes.
The minus - if I want to play Conan I need both boxes, which makes the game not very mobile.

BTW - I didn't put my gem chest into my setup yet, but I made it with the height low enough to have it fit into box with tokens.

Also, I keep the tokens for river inside the river. They fall out as the box travels, but since they are all in the box with minis(like it was initially packed) it's very quick to gather it back together. I wish the cardboard tokens for river snapped in place when put in, so they wouldn't fall out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.