Subject: [Poll] Help me pick my 100th game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim

Lascassas
TN - Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want this one to be the big one. I know I know, it's a lot of pressure. I've been fast approaching 100 games owned and I wanted this one to be more than an impulse, so I've decided to leave this one up to the wisdom of the community.

What I'm looking for out of these options:

*A game that my wife (my primary, and for this purchase's purpose the only one I'm concerned about, but scalability wouldn't be a turn-off) will love to play with me. I'm not looking for something that doesn't have to immediately be gripping, but will offer depth and a greater appreciation over time.
*She enjoys a hand of cards that grant powers
*High interaction, no multiplayer solitaire, relatively small downtime between turns.
*Co-ops a plus, but not required.

With these criteria in mind, I have narrowed this search into several options in the poll below. Please, vote, and offer any feedback or suggestions.
Poll
How strongly do you think THIS game should be my 100th addition to my collection based on my criteria above?
  GET THIS ONE! NO QUESTIONS! Great fit Good fit All right Probably not Absolutely not
Robinson Crusoe
Agricola
Twilight Struggle
TIME Stories
Seasons
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Innovation
Other (post suggestion)
      68 answers
Poll created by Elandil84
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Gustafsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you prefer short gamingsessions or long ones or do neither of you have any preference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted TS as a 'buy this!' but would like to add the caveat that it's a bit heavy for some - however I see you are a Star Wars: Rebellion fan so as long as your wife is of a similar taste, it'll work great. It's one of my favourite games.

The other comment I have is that Agricola with 2 people can feel a bit multi-player solitaire to me. I think it (and Caverna) need 3 or 4 to shine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
The other comment I have is that Agricola with 2 people can feel a bit multi-player solitaire to me. I think it (and Caverna) need 3 or 4 to shine.

I would agree with this. If it was primarily for me and my wife, then All Creatures Big and Small would trump regular Agricola on my list.

I feel like Brew Crafters plays better at 2 than Agricola, too.

For a meatier 2-player Rosenberg Worker Placement, Fields of Arle is pretty solid. Trickerion: Legends of Illusion scratches our worker placement/simultaneous action itch, and works well for 2-players, but, scales to 3 and 4 well, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Absolutely love Agricola but you might feel a bit like you're missing out on a few elements if you rarely get to play with more than two players. All creatures might be a good alternative but I do not have it.

Seasons might actually be a good fit for your description, even if it's a bit more light, but please read up on it a lot cause it's a very different kind of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Food Chain Magnate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
hand of cards that grant powers + High interaction + relatively small downtime between turns = Innovation!

It has a lot of tactical depth for a 30-45 minute game and very little downtime.

Some of the others fit but to me Innovation fits your description best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
hand of cards that grant powers + High interaction + relatively small downtime between turns = Innovation!

It has a lot of tactical depth for a 30-45 minute game and very little downtime.

I'd agree, a lot of really great games on the list but Innovation is a solid pick any day of the week. Also, if you can get your hands on it, two-player Glory to Rome is a great experience, and I've heard good things about Impulse, too.

I may or may not be a Carl Chudyk fan modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Redward wrote:

I'd agree, a lot of really great games on the list but Innovation is a solid pick any day of the week. Also, if you can get your hands on it, two-player Glory to Rome is a great experience, and I've heard good things about Impulse, too.

I may or may not be a Carl Chudyk fan modest

Don't forget Mottainai!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elandil84 wrote:

I'm not looking for something that doesn't have to immediately be gripping, but will offer depth and a greater appreciation over time.

That's a double negative. So you ARE looking for something that DOES have to immediately be gripping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim

Lascassas
TN - Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
Elandil84 wrote:

I'm not looking for something that doesn't have to immediately be gripping, but will offer depth and a greater appreciation over time.

That's a double negative. So you ARE looking for something that DOES have to immediately be gripping?

Sorry, no. I meant I would be happy with a slow burn. I didn't have time to proofread before work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim

Lascassas
TN - Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:

Thanks for this suggestion, I was THIS close to adding that to the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elandil84 wrote:
Redward wrote:

It is in the poll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim

Lascassas
TN - Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
Elandil84 wrote:
Redward wrote:

It is in the poll!

Ahhh! I hate my situation with work. I have limited time to get on a monitor to browse, never remember to check stuff at home, and find interacting with the site via iPhone irritating. I had created two versions of this poll and forgot which one I posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive owned or played most of that and imo Agricola doesn't work well 2p, not much anyway. Best at 3-5 at least.

I think Seasons matches your criteria well and think TS would too though I haven't played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim

Lascassas
TN - Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, did I create a flawed poll. I'm having a hard time deciding the best way to interpret.

And thanks to everyone who 1) pointed out errors in my message and the fact that Innovation IS in the poll and 2) responded at all.

Hopefully a bump/more discussion will get more votes and feedback to make my decision more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.