GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,204 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Master of Orion: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: HobbyWorld selling pre-production copies at Essen!?!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I bought a copy of this game at full price at Spiel 2016 yesterday and was quite shocked to see that the copies being sold seem to be from a pre-production run! Neither the box, nor the saleswoman mentioned this to me when I purchased the game.

This is quite frustrating and I wonder what HobbyWorld can do about the issue.

Here's a picture of the rulebook from my copy of the game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the rest of the game seem like a pre-production copy?

Maybe they forgot to have that line removed from the front of the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Why not go back to their booth and ask? Or are you no longer in Essen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Does the rest of the game seem like a pre-production copy?

Maybe they forgot to have that line removed from the front of the rulebook?

I have exactly the same issue. Initially I wasn't sure whether or not to buy this game and the sales women even said to me that I'd better hurry up as they will be sold out in about two hours - and that was about an hour after the Essen fair had started!!!

I highly doubt that it just a printing error as the material is of exactly the mediocre quality Tom Vassel's was talking about in his video when he stated that Hobby World signaled that his copy was preproduction only and the would include better cardstock and and thicker player board. My copy has flimsy boards and cards and the back of one card has already lost some collar at one corner so that you can tell the card by a closer look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

In was in Essen for one day only and besides even if I was there for multiple days I consider this very bad style on behalf of Hobby World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rickenbacker1978
russ wrote:
Nope, I am not longer at the fair and it's quite a long drive back there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Bummer.

BTW I agree it's bad to intentionally sell pre-production copies as real copies. I meant to ask them to find out whether it was simply some mistake, and they would exchange it for a new one.

But since 2 of you both got pre-production copies, that makes a mistake sound less likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tjitte de Vries
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, I was only there for one day and I also have the pre-production version version. Was surprised as well when feeling the boards (paper) and the cards.

Can we message HobbyWorld as a group? I was not aware of buying a flimsy copy and was expecting more for this price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jethro Hendrickx
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I asked a friend to pick up a copy for me at the fair, but they were already sold out. How much did you pay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minotower wrote:
I asked a friend to pick up a copy for me at the fair, but they were already sold out. How much did you pay?
I think it was about 30€.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maria Saltykova
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hello!

Almost all games we are selling at Essen are pre-production copies, we never had an intention to hid this fact. Instead we are making effort to make it as obvious as possible.
You've probably noticed that we have English games in Russian boxes. In this industry it is unacceptable to sell final product in the boxes printed in different language.
There are multiple open game boxes of Master of Orion on demonstration tables, so everybody could check the contents and quality of the game before buying it.

We've decided to print 150 boxes of Master of Orion specially for the exhibition because so many players wanted a chance to see the game and add it to their collection before full production cycle could be completed. Official international release is planned for later dates.
We also have special prices for the exhibition - it will be changed for the final product.

If you are unhappy with the quality of the game we would be happy to take back the game box and give you full refund. I understand that you are no longer at the exhibition, but if you'll decide to go for it, you can e-mail us at international@hobbyworld.ru and we will discuss options further.
Even now demand on the game copies is so high that you might prefer to sell it online and make a profit instead of going for a refund.

As for "we would soon run out of copies" thing:
Most of these boxes was detained by customs, so we had very few copies of the game at the first day of the exhibition. We've almost run out of them in the first hours.
There were no certainty if we could solve this problem before the end of the Spiel. Luckily, with the help from our lawyers, we did. Some more copies of Master of Orion arrived at the evening of the same day and were sold out very quickly as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tjitte de Vries
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, but it wasn't that obvious for me. And I didn't look into the demo tables because I already did research on the games before the fair. Also I was with friends and in a bit of a hurry to get other scarce games.

So what's the difference between this prototype and the final product? Is it only a larger print run, or better quality?

A few years ago I bought a copy of Spyfall at your stand with a Russian cover and English rules, and that wasn't advertised as a prototype as well. So maybe I'm stupid but I won't be buying anything from you in Essen next year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
potionmaker wrote:
Hello!

Almost all games we are selling at Essen are pre-production copies, we never had an intention to hid this fact. Instead we are making effort to make it as obvious as possible.

Thanks for your fast reply

Obviously you did NOT make effort to make it obvious that you are selling pre-production copies - a simple sign or a word from your salesperson would have been sufficient, but you did not do so. I am not saying you did this on purpose, but I consider it still bad style to sell pre-production copies at a consumer fair without CLEARLY stating so!

Anyways I sent you a mail, let's see what we can work out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
waut Dooghe
Belgium
meerhout
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. I'm glad to have a copy but it wasn't mentioned it was a pre-production copy so I was a bit dissapointed when I saw the low card stock quality. Also my insert was heavily damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maria Saltykova
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm sorry about our miscommunication at the event and that it made you upset. It never was our intention.

vrieskist wrote:
So what's the difference between this prototype and the final product? Is it only a larger print run, or better quality?

Depends on our partners' decision. They may add something or decide to make tokens in plastic. No major changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoot McToot
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do really like the game, but bit disappointed to find out I paid for a pre-production version. Again no-one said anything on the stall when I bought it. There are a lot of typos on the cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rustemeyer
msg tools
designer
mbmb
You bought a box with russian text on it, and a sticker telling you there's an english version of the game inside. What exactly did you expect?

I also own the box, the game itself is 100% functional. The rules are an easy read, and the cards are self-explanatory. I played it a couple of times already, it's a good game, easy to teach, enough room to think about good strategies, and I'm happy to keep it in its current state.

The only thing I dislike is the wooden cubes. They are just not futuristic enough and don't match with the other components. I'll probably replace them with something more futuristic, plactic tokens/meeples from another game, like the meeples from mission: red planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
PeterRustemeyer wrote:
You bought a box with russian text on it, and a sticker telling you there's an english version of the game inside. What exactly did you expect?

FWIW I own several games bought in stores with boxes printed in one language and a localization sticker on the box, with good final quality localized contents (not prototype or pre-production or whatever) inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterRustemeyer wrote:

I also own the box, the game itself is 100% functional. The rules are an easy read, and the cards are self-explanatory. I played it a couple of times already, it's a good game, easy to teach, enough room to think about good strategies, and I'm happy to keep it in its current state.

1) In a more and more international market it is not uncommon to have boxes with different languages than their content - especially in case of small publishers. So far I have not heared of a single publisher selling pre-production copies - have you?

2) I never said the game is bad, the game being good has NOTHING to do with selling pre-production copies without saying so!

3) You may be happy to pay 30 Euros for flimsy cards and flimsy playerboards - I am not. Besides, let's just wait and see how you will react when this game gets expansions which will not match the card quality of your "100 % functional" game - likely the colour coding will not match as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Billingham
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We purchased multiple copies for our small hobby shop in AUSTRALIA and have just had a customer who purchased this from us alert me to this fact.

I am very disappointed. We paid full price, we shipped them across the other side of the planet and we sold this game almost making nothing from it (which is not my problem, I'm in this business because I love this hobby and not to become a millionairess). My problem is that we were not told that these were pre-production copies and we have sold them on, unaware, until now.

We have a good, honest, reputation and I am disappointed that my customer perhaps thinks that I was trying to dupe them.

Absolutely disgraceful Maria, it was you who we spoke with for quite a while and you had every opportunity to tell us they were pre-production. No excuses, every other vendor that had a misprint or errata or any slight issue with their product made us aware before we purchased multiple copies.

The price you charged and the dishonesty of taking advantage of excited gamers is very disappointing and the reputation of HobbyWorld here in Australia has been duly noted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tjitte de Vries
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone already returned their copy? I got an e-mail two weeks ago but since it has been total silence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vrieskist wrote:
Has anyone already returned their copy? I got an e-mail two weeks ago but since it has been total silence.

My "history" so far:

14th of October: Initial mail of the Problem

22nd of October: Resending of the inital mail, as I had not received an answer yet

23rd of October: Answer that they would offer a full refund including covering the postage cost, All I Need to do is to send them my bank Details

24th of October: I sent them my bank Details

29th October: no reaction so far, asked them to check the issue

1st of November: Answer that the repsonsible Person was on sick leave and will get back to me on Wednesday (2nd of November)

Since then: NO reaction - I guess I will have to send another reminder mail....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan K
Germany
Braunschweig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we can work something out.
I am Interesses even in a Pre production copy.
Send me a Mail some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave up on Hobbyworld and sold the game at a loss to a BGG user - really crappy customer service by Hobbyworld and unprofessional behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tjitte de Vries
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting here, no communication for three weeks now, great stuff.

Anyone wants to buy my copy? PM me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.