Power Grid: The Stock Companies» Forums » Rules

Subject: About selecting city for connection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yun Fong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
The rule of variant 1 & 2 says:

" The president must connect adjacent available cities and cannot skip them to connect far away cities for extremely high costs."

I doubt if it means:
1. Once there's a cities adjacent to my network, I MUST connect to it and could not connect to the far city, even though the later one cost the same or lower than the one adjacent to me. (I know it seldom happens, but sometimes a city next to you have a high connection cost.)
or
2. I cannot skip the adjacent city ONLY IF it is the lowest cost option. If there is another far away city have lower cost (or the same), I could choose the later one.

I believe the later one (2.) is more reasonable, I guess the rule is set only to prevent the president wasting company's asset. Am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fongyun wrote:
I believe the later one (2.) is more reasonable, I guess the rule is set only to prevent the president wasting company's asset. Am I right?

That is the spirit of the rule. You cannot skip adjacent available cities. If have city A and it is connected to B and then to C (A - B - C), you cannot skip over B to build in C unless B is filled up (for the Step you're in).

In s standard game, there may be positional reasons why you might want to skip B and build in C, but the board of directors won't be convinced of this use of company funds.

But what if there is another city, D, that is several occupied hops away? Can you build in D if B is available? I think the answer is yes, regardless of the cost of D relative to B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule prevents that directors can use up all of the company's capital by paying excessive connection costs without any reason. As long as you do not try to use up the capital, I think you do not need to stick to the rule that strictly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.