Popular Tags: [View All]
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A copy has already been sold to a stupid.

Suggest that Riot Games announce the game - with a link to their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
I thought you were going to suggest something like Riot should try to cross reference the ebay sellers w/ their order list and those order somehow get "lost" devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had a dollar for every example I've seen over the years of an idiot paying through the nose on Ebay rather than doing the research and paying an appropriate price ... I would own Riot Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:

Could be that someone bought it that lives somewhere outside of the scope of riots shipping. Pretty harsh to just assume they're stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
eker wrote:

Could be that someone bought it that lives somewhere outside of the scope of riots shipping. Pretty harsh to just assume they're stupid.

Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike scalping a lot, but it is pretty clear that companies will not do anything against it. It is so-very-common with all CoolMiniOrNot Kickstarters that I've grown numb with it.

But while CoolMiniOrNot is encouraging this by having exclusives, Riot Games does not. They have promised to sell this item as long as there is demand.

But they cannot do anything more.

Scalping is NOT an illegal activity and while a seller has a right to REFUSE a purchase by anyone, they cannot forbid anyone to resell the item at whatever cost they desire. At the same note, it would be illegal to have a database of 'scalpers' and share this data between sellers, due to data protection laws (at least this is the case in EU).

You can be outraged by it BUT reality is that this is no different from one store selling an item at a higher cost than another seller, or increasing the price as supply is running short. It happens everywhere. It only seems horrible now because many customers are unable to get the item now - despite getting it just two months later.

And let's not forget that isn't an auction, as such, a form of scalping to the highest bidder for a rare item?

And no need to call someone stupid who is buying the item at that cost. It's likely that they have a good income and care less about cost of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, scalping is an accepted practice. However, what is frustrating is when Ebay sellers get away with duping the ignorant into significantly overpaying for items that, with a little research and/or experience, could be purchased elsewhere more cheaply.

I wouldn't call those purchasers stupid, but instead, ignorant. It frustrates me as an occasional honest seller when other sellers ask outlandish prices for items that I am selling at appropriate prices. They are going fishing and, apparently, hooking some prey.

I know there is nothing that can be done to protect buyers from themselves, but I wish there was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if Riot sold copies on Amazon and eBay for $85 or $90 plus shipping, but I don't think they should have to absorb the extra cost. And that price would still be lower than if traditional distribution had been used. So part of me says win-win, what's the holdup? That's what I was about to write.

But I also recognize it would be potentially bad PR to be caught selling at different price points, because customers are customers. So I have to say Riot should just do what they're doing. Unless they want to eat the loss of profits selling through others, but that seems crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albcann wrote:
However, what is frustrating is when Ebay sellers get away with duping the ignorant into significantly overpaying for items that, with a little research and/or experience, could be purchased elsewhere more cheaply.

I am 99% certain that customers who have made purchases for Mechs vs Minions at EBay are aware of the original prices. Maybe there really is someone who thought EBay is the place to buy it from, but this is entirely unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Chiappa
United States
lincoln park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
..and what about bgg market ?.......shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad_albin wrote:
..and what about bgg market ?.......shake

Currently 3 listed at $183-185.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oh please. If someone came to me right now and offered to pay me three times the amount for the game. I'd do it without blinking. Everyone is riding exceptionally high horses on this forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EnigmaProphet wrote:
eker wrote:

Sorry, how do you know that? I can't keep track of all the scalpers on Ebay, the one I looked at for $299 still has not sold it.

Someone with a Ebay account should post the question on every single postings:

"Why would I pay $300 for this game when it's available now from RIOT for $75?" on every single listing.

That way any potential buyer would see this.

Your question doesn't automatically post when you ask the seller something
It only posts if the seller tells ebay to post it in his listing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:

No copy has been sold on eBay yet --- several are listed but none have sold
You can do a search of sold items in last 30 days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How, exactly, could a game company do anything about "scalping" in a free market economy? It's MY GAME once I buy it. Are some folks suggesting that I don't have the right to sell it afterward for however much I want to? (And this coming from someone who hasn't even bought the game yet.) Once I've purchased it I assume private property rights take over, unless I'm missing something.

(I guess a lot of these complaining about private sales would also be terrified to know how much that used car guy paid for the car that he sold them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
How, exactly, could a game company do anything about "scalping" in a free market economy? It's MY GAME once I buy it.

+1. Restricting what people can do with their personal property would be a much bigger problem than a few games sold on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its none of our business what other people want to pay for things. As long as the sale is not coerced or misleading / direct lies its not anyones job to police others spending habits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
The people who specifically bought this game with the purpose of flipping it for a big profit would happily have bought out the stock of the game from Riot to prevent people from buying the game at MSRP. Thats how scalping works. You buy up the stock and then drive the price up artificially. And scalping is illegal.

No, scalping tickets is illegal (in some states and some cases) because of laws restricting ticket reselling. But doing whatever you want with a boardgame is completely legal.

And there aren't enough people buying and reselling Mechs vs. Minions to have any effect on the price or supply at all. Maybe a few dozen copies, out of 15,000?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And No, we would not ALL be paying $300 for Mechs vs Minions if the alleged "scalpers" had their way. Would you? I will never pay $300 for a game in my entire life. If some of you want the game no matter what that badly, that is your right. But please don't assume that those who gladly paid $75 for it would also pay $300 because they just HAVE to have it.

I wasn't addressing the "morality" of resales at all, just the legality of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.