3 Posts

221B Baker Street: The Master Detective Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Two Variants: Movement & Solo Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Wellington
msg tools
mbmb
Here are a couple of variants I have used that I think work. One is for movement and the other is a way to play solo.

Movement: For movement the game originally uses a single die. This results in very slow play. So when my friends and I play we use two dice. And to really speed things up every time we roll doubles we view it as your player successfully hailing a cab and then moving to any place on the map.

The fun part of the game is getting the clues and deducing the answers. So speeding it up makes it much more entertaining. True, rolling dice like this still makes luck a factor but with enough rolls and enough games it will even out.

Solo: For set up put 2 or 3 Scotland Yard cards on different places. Use a D10 to determine where they go. 1= Museum, 2= Apothecary, etc. Don't include Scotland Yard, Carriage Depot, or the Locksmith. You start with one key. Now you have 24 hours to solve the crime! Each roll of the dice represents 1 hour. I use the same movement variant. Putting a time limit adds some tension to the game. It's still more of a story/puzzle than a serious game but I found it to be enjoyable the few times I've done this.

You can always adjust the hours/rolls your detective has to solve the case. Also I've played with the thought that if I go over my limit I can still solve the case but the suspect flees the city.

I hope these make the game more enjoyable for others as they have for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Twel001 wrote:
Here are a couple of variants I have used that I think work. One is for movement and the other is a way to play solo.

Movement: For movement the game originally uses a single die. This results in very slow play. So when my friends and I play we use two dice. And to really speed things up every time we roll doubles we view it as your player successfully hailing a cab and then moving to any place on the map.

The fun part of the game is getting the clues and deducing the answers. So speeding it up makes it much more entertaining. True, rolling dice like this still makes luck a factor but with enough rolls and enough games it will even out.

While I agree with you,(and many others as well who complain about the slow movement of using one die), I have found that when we use two dice, then we find ourselves waiting around to get a chance to see the clue book. Because of the quicker movement pace the game comes to halt, as a traffic jam occurs with two or three people waiting for their chance with the clue book. That is almost as frustrating as rolling a low number on a single die, thus taking longer to get to the location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Wellington
msg tools
mbmb
Re: Two Variants: Movement & Solo
There is a sand timer of about 30 seconds that came with my copy. We use that as a limit to how long have to look up clues and write them down. This keeps things moving along at a decent pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.