Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played two rounds of 4-player Zig-Zag. The game is a chaotic hybrid of Odin's Ravens and Mamma Mia! There are two types of cards: obstacle cards and terrain cards. The goal is to collect the correct sequence of terrain cards to navigate the maze of different terrains depicted on a player's individual obstacle cards. The first player to completely navigate all of their obstacle cards wins.

There are two main phases of Zig-Zag, a dexterity "Collection" phase and a progress determining "Running" phase.

The Collection phase is largely dexterity based - how fast you can 1) flip over terrain cards, 2) find cards of a particular type that matches your needs, and 3) your dexterity in beating out the other players to pick up that card - determines your success.

This phase is very chaotic and requires quite a bit of multi-tasking ability. One problem that we found with this phase of the game after two plays was that people can easily cherry-pick: by not flipping over cards and just waiting for people to flip and pick up their cards. In the second game of play, one player just sat back and picked up cards that other players flipped over and easily won.

The second phase (the "Running" phase) consists of sorting out the cards that you collected from phase one and determining how far you progressed along your obstacle cards.

We thought it might be better to add a rule to the Collection phase where you can't pick up two face up cards in a row without flipping over at least one card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
TrojanDan wrote:
The second phase (the "Running" phase) consists of sorting out the cards that you collected from phase one and determining how far you progressed along your obstacle cards.

Maybe I do not remember the rules right, but I thought that the second phase consisted of just running the cards. You were not allowed to reorder your cards at all. You must have picked them up in order in phase one. On the first mistake you made, you stopped. Did I remember the rules wrong here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chen
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct. You can't reorder. By "sorting" I meant showing the other players face up the order you picked them up in. So yes, no re-sequencing your cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does it compare to Oden's Ravens?

How long where the games?

thanks for sharing.

Game On'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.