Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Recommend Me A Squad Based Hex & Counter Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played ASLSK1 and LNL Heroes of Normandy. Both are great games in my opinion.

I'm looking for an alternative game in which similar fashion to ASLSK and LNL HoN has small maps,multiple scenarios to play and is not an all day affair. I like games that can be completed in 2 hours or less but am willing to go up to 3 hours in length.

My preference is to have a lower number of counters than what is found with LnL but more than what ASLSK has in the box. (Does that even exist?)

Basically I'm looking for something right in the middle of both systems I described above.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
United Kingdom
St Ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles is exactly what you need. That and all the other games in the series. It meets all your criteria and is probably one of if not the best squad level tactical game out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
badge
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles or Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer are both part of the Band of Brothers system. Love them. Amazing.

Rules are not onerous. The game ingeniously incorporates squads and vehicles. Ghost Panzer is east front with more guns and vehicles. Screaming Eagles is west front, more squad based.

Dang got beat to the punch. see post above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campari Marco
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caccia a Tito Drvar 1944 give a look; it is free and print and play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, depending on your particular interests, Band of Brothers: Texas Arrows: this includes scenarios from Italy and southern France. Can't recommend the BoB series highly enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always give Platoon Leader a shot!

Or wait for the Advanced Platoon Leader edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been on a somewhat similar quest. I have slightly different parameters, but likely close enough to yours. I put together a Geeklist here to organize my thoughts & get some feedback. I haven't updated in a while now that I have a good idea of what games are good candidates. Perhaps this can help narrow your search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
I have been on a somewhat similar quest. I have slightly different parameters, but likely close enough to yours. I put together a Geeklist here to organize my thoughts & get some feedback. I haven't updated in a while now that I have a good idea of what games are good candidates. Perhaps this can help narrow your search.

This is a great list. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
Or, depending on your particular interests, Band of Brothers: Texas Arrows: this includes scenarios from Italy and southern France. Can't recommend the BoB series highly enough.

Just as long as you note that Texas Arrows is NOT a stand alone game. Every TA scenario requires maps and/or counters from Ghost Panzer, and more than half the TA scenarios use maps or counters from Screaming Eagles.

Scenario List
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Band of Brothers also has expansions in the pipeline.

Band of Brothers: Battle Pack 1 adds 2 larger maps, additional counters and scenarios. Recognize that you asked for smaller geomorphic maps, which is exactly what you get with Screaming Eagles, Ghost Panzer and Texas Arrows, but it is nice to know bigger maps will soon be available, including a snow map

Band of Brothers: Old Breed South Pacific takes the system to the Pacific

You can't go wrong, this is a great system
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Burt
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mb
You might also want to look at the original Squad Leader.
It's simpler than ASL-SK and the scenarios tend to be bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:
bob_santafe wrote:

Just as long as you note that Texas Arrows is NOT a stand alone game. Every TA scenario requires maps and/or counters from Ghost Panzer, and more than half the TA scenarios use maps or counters from Screaming Eagles.

Scenario List

Yeah... I Kickstarted Texas Arrows because they said you didn't need both previous games to play it (I only had Ghost Panzer before). I was not pleased when I got it and found out that I can only play three of the scenarios in the box without getting Screaming Eagles. shake BOB is a really good design though, it definitely gets the feel of tactical combat more right than any other squad level game I've played, and for less effort too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Valor & Victory is definitely worth a look given your parameters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Valor & Victory is definitely worth a look given your parameters.

Looking at this now. Seems interesting. I don't mind the DIY aspect at all. In fact, that may be more fun than the game itself.

Lack of support (new scenarios) may hold me back though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Scenarios are crowd-sourced (and there's quite a few out there) and a lot of ASL material can be ported in minutes.

V&V plays faster because the rule set is so much simpler. Two or three hours lets you go after a pretty big scenario.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/44657/pros-and-cons-wwii-...

Y'know, rather than do it all over again for the 20th 200th time.

The linked thread is a few years old but, IMO, has the most useful discussion of any of the legion of threads asking the "which squad-level game" question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Obligatory mention of the great and popular Combat Commander: Europe.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
This:

The linked thread is a few years old but, IMO, has the most useful discussion of any of the legion of threads asking the "which squad-level game" question.

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Miniatures or Screaming Eagles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to second the Band of Brothers series - Screaming Eagles, Ghost Panzer and Texas Arrows. A very different take on tactical combat and probably more accurate into how squads behave in WW2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
(Obligatory mention of the great and popular Combat Commander: Europe.)

Certainly one of my favorites. For slightly less complexity there is also Conflict of Heroes. Nice think counters, typically low unit count and scenarios that can play out fairly fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started with Band of Brothers and it is well designed. The designer's notes make for an interesting read, especially for the ASL player.

The only thing I don't like about BoB is the counter art. I appeciate the design elegance and desire to keep the rules tight but I wonder if I am going to get bored due to the lack of detail. Too early to tell.

You also might consider moving on to ASL-SK #2 and #3. They are working on a PTO module and there is a great historical campaign module available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:
bob_santafe wrote:

Scenario List

Oops -- thanks, Ron, for clarifying that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ek T
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mindtech2 wrote:
moly19 wrote:
This:

Thank you

Make sure to check out the link at the bottom of that thread:

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2014/12/comparing-l...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steveburt wrote:
You might also want to look at the original Squad Leader.
It's simpler than ASL-SK and the scenarios tend to be bigger.

This is of course very out of print. Scoring a complete copy could be a hassle, expensive or both depending on how patient you want to be.

The old SL scenarios (many/all of which have now been converted to full ASL) can indeed be bigger than the typical ASLSK scenarios, but they're also longer and, these days, not generally considered to be very good scenarios, although many (like me) retain a nostalgic fondness for some of them.

I had a hankering at one point to find a lighter alternative to ASL, but in the end decided to just stick with that... even if just ASLSK. With all the stuff (and the expansion pack is getting reprinted some time soonish) there's a lot to keep you busy there.

That aside, I got to play Lock N' Load Tactical and Conflict of Heroes: Guadalcanal at Origins and liked both, although I felt that LnL captured what I like about ASL better.

There's also the new Old School Tactical thing, which is as close to the new hotness as one is likely to see in this rather crowded corner of wargaming. There's only the one East Front thing available, but it's getting expanded. I have it and haven't really played it yet (I did push some counters around) but it looks good to me and the components are very high quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.