$60.00
$20.00
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Which one is easier to proxy in which direction?

2) Thoughts in gameplay and experience?

3) And can anyone comment on how just adding card arts of one to the other and how that has worked for them? Thanks. I may cross post in their respective forums later.

4) How many games of these with opposite components have you played? Did it work well?

My thoughts before anything: I feel like Dixit not having a player ghost shield or specific weapon and location cards may not allow it to play Mysterium, but maybe players could make or do something makeshift or a variant to make it work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're more likely to get a response if you ask this question in the Mysterium forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Kowalewski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) I would assume it would be easier to play Dixit with Mysterium cards, or at least it would be a smoother transition since Dixit is a bit simpler and has a more open formula. By i've only played the other way around and i will go in detail only on playing Mysterium with Dixit cards.

2), 3) & 4) We've played around 5 games of Mysterium with Dixit cards. We quickly realised that original cards are not only specifically tailored to match certain people, location or a weapon but also balanced in a way that showing e.g. policeman is somewhat just as hard as showing fisherman. Dixit cards have a lot more food and water cards, at least those we had, anyway it destroyed the balance. After many plays Mysterium develops a meta, what i mean by that is a certain but vague interpratation of each card. I would assume that after many plays meta in Mysterium with Dixit cards would evolve to level the toughness of showing different people, places and weapons. The other thing is theme. Dixit is much more colorful and cheerful. There are some grimm and dark cards but persentage wise nowhere near Mysterium. Bright, colorful, happy cards just don't mash well with the theme of a hunted house and murder.

Overall this transition is certanly workable in both direction. If you have both games and you want to play one of them with some twist i would highly recommened trying it to see for yourself. The game will not break or anything but it would be harder for a ghost to show some staff to the investigators, at least for first x number of games in a certain group.

Would i recommend buying one game only as an expansion for the other? No, there are more expansions for Dixit then you would ever need which are cheaper then Mysterium. Other way around i think experience is subpar. Our group loves Mysterium and overall we've played 100+ games of it. We played few games with Dixit cards over a year ago and i don't think we will ever play that way. We can't wait for Hidden Signs expansion though.

Also i own polish version of Mysterium (Tajemnicze Domostwo), there are some minor rule changes. I don't think it metters in case of adding cards from Dixit, but maybe there is something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with above, playing dixit with mysterium cards is no different at all but rather the same as buying any of the expansions that have different themes to them. I didn't really have much of an attraction to mysterium but I got it at a price that made it worthwhile to have just as an expansion and at the same time try the game and see if it sticks, it didn't.

I also agree with the above post that the mysterium cards are tailored to the characters, weapons and locations of it's own game and it makes it quite easy, we have found. This is partly why we didn't fall in love with the game. We always won and I thought it should have been harder. Playing with Dixit cards might help with this and make you work harder to give good clues. I have not tried this yet but I'm sure I will in the future.

I actually have both sets of Mysterium (English and Polish versions) because I thought the card art was different. FAIL! Only the characters and location cards are different, which I couldn't care less about. I'm in the process of selling the Polish version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Kowalewski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We also got quite good at Mysterium so we thought it is very easy, we used all official ways to make it harder but it didn't help for long. We decided to houserule it. If you like the game but it is too easy i would suggest doing the same or similar thing.

We kept on adding more and more characters, locations and weapons. Now we always play with all of them. Ghost cannot refil his hand between giving away cards for investigators. To balance it the hand limit is higher with more players, 7 cards with 2 invetigators, 8 cards with 3 investigators, 9 cards with 4 investigators, we don't play with more and i don't know how would it work in this case. Ghost cannot throw away his cards to draw a new set (this is an optional rule in oficial rulebook as far as i remember).

We even tried playing it without looking at character, location and weapon cards at all, only dream cards. But we dropped this rule because it created a lot of "did we forget about something" moments without adding anything fun.

With all characters and other changes listed above we played around 50 games and we only won 2 of them, quite recently. We like the way much more then the goal, we don't mind losing at all. It is very easy to make the game harder and it is a lot of fun for people who know and like the game. Try it, if the only problem is that the game is too easy it should work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rexkow wrote:
We also got quite good at Mysterium so we thought it is very easy, we used all official ways to make it harder but it didn't help for long. We decided to houserule it. If you like the game but it is too easy i would suggest doing the same or similar thing.

We kept on adding more and more characters, locations and weapons. Now we always play with all of them. Ghost cannot refil his hand between giving away cards for investigators. To balance it the hand limit is higher with more players, 7 cards with 2 invetigators, 8 cards with 3 investigators, 9 cards with 4 investigators, we don't play with more and i don't know how would it work in this case. Ghost cannot throw away his cards to draw a new set (this is an optional rule in oficial rulebook as far as i remember).

We even tried playing it without looking at character, location and weapon cards at all, only dream cards. But we dropped this rule because it created a lot of "did we forget about something" moments without adding anything fun.

With all characters and other changes listed above we played around 50 games and we only won 2 of them, quite recently. We like the way much more then the goal, we don't mind losing at all. It is very easy to make the game harder and it is a lot of fun for people who know and like the game. Try it, if the only problem is that the game is too easy it should work for you.

Sounds like a plan, might even play tonight as I am sitting here at work trying to decide what we will play when I get home. I'm still going to spend the next few hours learning one of our unplayed games since it is extremely slow here and I can. Can't decide between Puerto Rico, Caylus, Mombassa, or Tigris and Euphrates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.