Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when did this sentence structure become in vogue? "Recommend me a ..." or "Suggest me a ..." NO! I see this as a thread topic line all the time now and it sounds ridiculous!

"Could someone recommend to me a ..." or "Please give me your suggestions on ..." Or "I'd like a recommendation for a ..." That's how you do it!

OK, I feel better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
It's just a shorthand method of saying the same thing.
In a 21st century text/tweet world, everything is shorthand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

...and I HATE it! Damn kids and their tweety talk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

Recommend me a better way to talk

Kidding, kidding. I agree that it grinds my gears, though I do think you have to keep in mind that we have a lot of non-native English speakers, and 'recommend me' may be a perfectly serviceable sentence, when translated into their native language. I can say this is the case for Russian, at least.

A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

Recommend me a better way to talk

Kidding, kidding. I agree that it grinds my gears, though I do think you have to keep in mind that we have a lot of non-native English speakers, and 'recommend me' may be a perfectly serviceable sentence, when translated into their native language. I can say this is the case for Russian, at least.

A

Oh I know what you saying and I don't disagree. Just remember this is a pet peeve, which almost by definition doesn't have to be reasonable or rational!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
"Could someone recommend to me a ..." or "Please give me your suggestions on ..." Or "I'd like a recommendation for a ..." That's how you do it!

I tend to agree with it making sense in someone's native language, but also, recommend is clearly the key verb, so it should be central to the sentence.

I'm not sure, "give me a recommendation", is technically passive, but it has a similar feel. The verb should be recommend.

Sure, it's maybe most correct as, "Recommend a game to me," or just, "Recommend a game," but English is a pretty versatile and robust language: I don't think, "Recommend [to] me a game," is going to destroy the language, even if it sounds like from Yoda it comes.

I was reading one of Patrick O'Brian's books. He's known for a Jane Austin like, early 19th century style, with phrasing and vocabulary authentic to the period, though he wrote at the end of the 20th century. He wrote something like, "He went under the grateful shade of the trees." Now, we know "he" was grateful, not the shade or the trees, but the meaning comes across; and the sentence is a lot more interesting than many of the options. It gives the shade some importance and impact without making the protagonist (him) seem weak by being notably emotionally grateful that he's now in the shade. So it was an interesting construction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a recommendation for the position of "game player of a game I like". I think I'd be highly qualified to do that particular job. If you could forward that recommendation to the appropriate game, I'll follow your letter and see which game you've sent it to (and thus deduce which game you think I'd like). Or if that seems too complicated, suggest me an alternative plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love me some recommendations

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never heard the phrase 'needs vacuumed' until I moved to Michigan. Before it was always 'needs to be vacuumed.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
I never heard the phrase 'needs vacuumed' until I moved to Michigan. Before it was always 'needs to be vacuumed.'

I'm hearing it more often than I'd expect more and more, with the phrase "to be" being excised from sentences.

"That needs to be recompiled" -> "That needs recompiled"

Etc.

Doesn't sound right to me, but if that's the way language is evolving, so be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh that's one of mine!
"The car needs repaired".
No! Argh. And I hear it a lot nowadays.

And in the corporate world, I hear this at least three times a week when a meeting ends early (even two minutes early):
"OK, looks like we're done, I'm going to give back X minutes of your day."
It's not bad per se, it's just that everyone's saying it.

I'm surprised how many times I see
peek/peak
misused.
"Click here for a sneak peak!" What, is it a ninja mountain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

Similar usage of 'needs verbed' can be heard in Ohio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Similar usage of 'needs verbed' can be heard in Ohio.

Well, sure, I moved from New England, so any number of places could have that. I just never heard it there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you're being prickled for comic effect (to at least some degree) but I found this On Point pretty interesting.

Linguist John McWhorter explores how the meaning of words change dramatically over time, and why we should embrace this.

Linguist John McWhorter knows that language drives a lot of people crazy. The way it shifts and moves. The way it changes and defies old usage. Sticklers for grammar can feel assaulted, overwhelmed. McWhorter says relax. Get over it. We need to teach proper grammar and usage, he says, but we also need to let it go. Language never sits still, he says. And that’s like totally all right. Totes. And if that, like, bothers you, stand by. This hour On Point, linguist John McWhorter on how language moves.

— Tom Ashbrook

http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2016/09/13/english-evolution-lan...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want someone to recommend me. I'm worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

How can it be shorthand when you can say:

"Can you recommend a good movie?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I just want someone to recommend me. I'm worth it.

Inform me why.

(Interesting that inform works fine while recommend seems odd.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This can be rectified as soon as I .....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.