21 Posts

Pax Renaissance» Forums » General

Subject: Does someone play a game at Essen? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cyrille Pouget
France
flag msg tools
If someone had the chance to play the game, please share with us your first impressions!

Thank you in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it PBeM a few times. It takes the best parts of both Pax games and mashes them together. Turns into an wild ride that is a lot of fun to play. Might be my favorite out of the three...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a VASSAL module out? Cannot see it on the website.

Todd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there is. There is a link in the living rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the mod's designer when he intended to publish it on the Vassal site but he only answered by sending the mod again, confirming that the link in the living rules is pointing to the latest version...
Todd, arme you interested in a game? I know one or two others, too... Need to read the rules yet though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Still no one played it? I am curious for some small review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CyrilleP wrote:
If someone had the chance to play the game, please share with us your first impressions!

Thank you in advance!

I got only short demo of the game - with 4 players and explanation we only did perhaps 4 rounds, and we were very far form reaching the game end.
But there was a living commentary and advices from Phil Eklund so it was worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Well, share with us your impressions. IS it good? How does it feel playing?
Is it similar to other PAX?

I should get it on friday maybe and im so curious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
Well, share with us your impressions. IS it good? How does it feel playing?
Is it similar to other PAX?

I should get it on friday maybe and im so curious

I didn't play in other Pax game (I haven't got an oppourtunity) , and I didn't much care about Porfiriana and Pamix theme/historical/geographic background. Renesanse, being located in Europe and treating about raising influence of banks, is more interesting. I wanted to try a game form this series and I wanted to try its market mechanics
Only thing about quality of the game I can say is that before demo I was hesitant, and after demo I bought the game with expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kirsipuu
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also got to demo the game and it seamed an interesting one. The trade routes and hostile take overs are thematic. Also some of the cards actions let you behead monarchs which makes the game fanatstic back and forth dynamic dance of death. It fealt like you as a player are planning a conspiracy to fight for the control of Europe and all its wealth. I cant wait to get it on table. Did I mention that it was my first purchase at Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo
Ireland
Dublin 2
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ive bought it but still not played.

Rules are kind of nightmare to go through.

I was hoping in some kind of video,but for now
No luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be making a game aid as soon as I get my copy so keep an eye on the file section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game twice yesterday. Both 2 player games.

The game is not on the lighter end of the spectrum, so don't expect the rules to be a walk in the park. Yet, I found the rulebook in general not too hard to follow if you also use the glossary at the end of the rulebook when reading the rules. Various definitions and concepts are explained there, so if you don't know what something means when a definition comes up (like Regress), search it up there.

The game itself is deep and (again) totally different from Pax Porfiriana or Pax Pamir. The game felt very thematic. The friend I played with said the game reminded him of Europa Universalis. I felt the game was a little easier to wrap my head around than Pax Pamir. I think the general play time is shorter than Pax Pamir and maybe also than Pax Porfiriana, but that may depend on the group, of course. Pax Renaissance works fine as a 2 player game and I'm curious how it plays with 3.

At the start it was a little difficult to see how you can manipulate the game to your advantage: what do you have to do to win, what does it mean when these units get added to the board, and how can I prevent the other player(s) from winning. For me the most difficult thing to get right are the battles. Which type of battle does what exactly and includes which units. Also we constantly had to check the victory cards to find out if the other player could win next turn or not. But of course, all these things will be learned with more plays.

Overall the game was enjoyable and it will definitely see more plays. If you like Pax Porfiriana and/or Pax Pamir, I'm sure you'll like this one as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Thanks for your thoughts.
I am too looking forward to play it but I'm reading for the 6th times the rules.
I will wait some video like the one of pax Porfiriana too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glad to hear you thought it worked well as a 2 player game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RvdH83 wrote:
Yet, I found the rulebook in general not too hard to follow if you also use the glossary at the end of the rulebook when reading the rules. Various definitions and concepts are explained there, so if you don't know what something means when a definition comes up (like Regress), search it up there.

This is important for people to understand. The glossary is not an addendum that can be optionally perused. It is part of the rulebook and needs to be read to understand the game. You won't know how to perform a regime change without reading it, for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
I am too looking forward to play it but I'm reading for the 6th times the rules.

I recommend setting up the game for 2 players and just try to play for each player. This is not the type of game that you can understand by just reading the rules. You need to experience how elements work together (or against each other).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
RvdH83 wrote:
Yet, I found the rulebook in general not too hard to follow if you also use the glossary at the end of the rulebook when reading the rules. Various definitions and concepts are explained there, so if you don't know what something means when a definition comes up (like Regress), search it up there.

This is important for people to understand. The glossary is not an addendum that can be optionally perused. It is part of the rulebook and needs to be read to understand the game. You won't know how to perform a regime change without reading it, for instance.

I agree. Like in Pax Porfiriana the glossary is part of the rules. When I played the game we flipped a few times back and forth between the rules sections and the glossary, just to understand how things work.

During play we often referred to the Battle and Regime Change related parts, because these take a while to get into your head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo
Ireland
Dublin 2
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find ASL easier tha this rules wise talking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
pledgehc.com
mbmbmbmbmb
maxcito wrote:
I find ASL easier than this rules wise talking

ASL is way more specific and when you know the basic a lot of the rules can be looked up prior to playing scenarios. (you don't need to know all the rules for multistory buildings if there are none in the scenario you are playing, for example) so a lot of the rules are easier to parse and probably much clearer worded due to it being an "old" system.
you do need to know everything for PaxRen and unlike a lot of other games you need to know the game well before you can teach it (most medium weigt Euro- or ATgames can be taught after a partial solo runthrough in my experience, I'll never try this with a SMG title or wargame)

(it was kind of tongue in cheek I realise but just thought I'd reply)

of the two current series by SierraMadre if find the Pax rules easier to understand then the Bios/Neanderthal/Greenland series
I struggled with neanderthal until I just got stuck in in a VASSAL game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.