Subject: Great Game or Conspiracy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bronson Barnhart
United States
South Haven
Michigan
flag msg tools
Just went to the website to order ASL SK1, out of stock. Either this is the best game EVER made our it's hype. Not even a partial rules PDF to decide if you want to get in the system/life. I've found mixed results on buying the starter kits or the rules at first. If I have to buy over 3 kits at $25 a pop, shouldn't I just shell out the $80 for the full rules and dive in head first?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
If you buy the rules, does out come with counters? I didn't see that listed in the price or do you just use VASSAL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InNC
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, it's not just $50 for the rule book. You are really going to need Beyond Valor to get the core components of the system and the Russian and German OOB. That's going to run at least $50!

I think some people like starting with SK2 or 3 anyway.

Generally the SK's provide an intro to the system with the expectation that if you like it you will move on to the full version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere in the middle?

As a recent ASKL1 purchaser/player I recomend starting there. If you don't like it or don't end up playing a lot you're only out $25. Once you play that kit out then go to the next starter kit and so on.

If you dive in head first you have to buy the rules and Beyond Valor which is pricey and quite the commitment when you don't even know how much you'll pay. I would only do that if you have an established partner/group who will let you play with their stuff until you get fully invested in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tisdel
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
The Man with the Pointy Hat
mbmbmbmbmb
Kithikor wrote:
If I have to buy over 3 kits at $25 a pop, shouldn't I just shell out the $80 for the full rules and dive in head first?

You don't need to buy all three of the Start Kits - each one is complete to itself. While SK1 is infantry only, SK2 has ordnance and infantry, and Sk3 has vehicles, ordnance, and infantry.

You can buy any of the SK's and play the game. For some, this is sufficient. If the bug bites you, though, then you need to get full ASL. The minimum for that is the Rulebook and Beyond Valor. OBTW, all the SK counters and maps can be used with the full ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bronson Barnhart
United States
South Haven
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well thank you ALL for such s fast response! Thanks for the info as well!

P.S.
My wife now dislikes you both now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see if this will help...

Do your best to find someone to teach you the game (SK or full) before you buy anything.

Check here, gamesquad, etc. and see if there might even be a group meeting you can attend...

If you do that, you can tell your wife that you are going to give it a test drive before you buy, a reasonable idea.

(But really, you'll be hooked so bad, AND you'll have discovered a place to learn and play.)

Honestly the best thing to do is find "who" you are going to play, then decide what to buy. Learning from someone else (especially ASL) is the most rewarding way to learn the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GRS

Poland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basing on my experiences - best way is to get Starter Kit 1. It shows what ASL is, it is pretty easy and it's catchy. Simply the perfect. ASL SK 3 might be bit complicated for starter.
And don't think of getting full ASL at start. Too complex, imho. I started with full ASL after two years of Starter Kits plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SK1 is absolutely the way to start if you can find a copy. (And you probably can if you search a bit.) Infantry movement and fire is the core of the game - you could easily play every scenario in SK1 multiple times just honing your thinking about those ideas. You can keep going with SK2 and SK3 from there if you like, or just jump right in to the ASLRB and BV. But SK1 is an excellent representation of the system is about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say try SK1, or one of the other two but 1 would be the least complicated intro. If you really like that go straight to ASL Rulebook and Beyond Valor. If you really like the system after trying a SK there may be no need to go through the other two.

On the other hand the SKs could be where you stay. There is no need for full ASL what with the extra scenarios coming out for the SKs.

Best of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Psst...there is a perfectly serviceable copy of Beyond Valor up for auction right now. Starting = $22.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/215553/great-games-auctio...
Just sayin'.

I have no affiliation with the seller; just happened to notice it a few days ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Dumas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gamer's Armory has it available for order » http://www.gamersarmory.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
Psst...there is a perfectly serviceable copy of Beyond Valor up for auction right now. Starting = $22.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/215553/great-games-auctio...
Just sayin'.

I have no affiliation with the seller; just happened to notice it a few days ago.

AND 1st edition rules are cheap....
Don't worry about the editions...we all screw up the rules regardless of edition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stewart
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Matthews & Moorcock Magnificent Magicians of the Multiverse
mbmbmbmbmb
Noble Knight have copies of all 3 Starter Kits for good prices.

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp_Q_ProductLineID_..._

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bronson Barnhart
United States
South Haven
Michigan
flag msg tools
Jherek Carnelian wrote:

Of course, everything I click on I get 404 error from their web site shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InNC
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kithikor wrote:
Jherek Carnelian wrote:

Of course, everything I click on I get 404 error from their web site shake

I just tried the link and it works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.