Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally played Mage Knight Board Game for the first time last night and it was awesome - so much to do (and learn)! But I have a problem that I knew I would have - there are sexualized/revealing characters on some of the cards, and I don't play games like that.

Are there any other games similar AT ALL to Mage Knight? Minus the skin? What about Shadows of Malice? The upcoming Gloomhaven?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Star Trek: Frontiers Assuming you are in to Sci-Fi/Star Trek. It is a direct reimplementation of Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Dill
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
Star Trek: Frontiers Assuming you are in to Sci-Fi/Star Trek. It is a direct reimplementation of Mage Knight.

+1

Also, all of the images on the cards are screengrabs from the shows/movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely respect your tastes....could it be something that maybe a run with a Sharpie marker could fix? I looked at the cards and saw some of what you were talking about. Just didn't want that to ruin a great game for you. And F H is right: Frontiers is MK in the Star Trek setting if that might be a better go for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add that Shadows of Malice and Gloomhaven, while great games (own the former, played PnP of the latter) they play nothing like Mage Knight and are only similar in theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen many people criticize the game over mechanics but never that lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There should be a geeklist on this very question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:
I completely respect your tastes....could it be something that maybe a run with a Sharpie marker could fix? I looked at the cards and saw some of what you were talking about. Just didn't want that to ruin a great game for you. And F H is right: Frontiers is MK in the Star Trek setting if that might be a better go for you

We call that the 'magic sharpie' in our household.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a similar problem with it, the magic. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of star trek so have to make do without it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivanatom the Humble
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mb
I think Myth is kind of like MK. At least for me. Blend of Dungeon Crawler (thematically) and MG (variety of possibilities in battle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Someone saw it comparable enough with Magic Realm to write this rather in depth comparison:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1529119/magic-realm-vs-...

Comparable doesn't necessarily equate to similar though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yan mercier
France
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven is not like Mage knight, but more or less same theme, and the designer tried to make it as neutral as possible, so at least on this point, it should be ok for you. And it seems to be a very good game.

Runebound is kind of similar to MK, but does'nt give me the same thrill than MK... And if you find that MK has an oversexualized art, you should have the same problem with runebound...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
Emergence Event is sort of like Mage Knight Light in space. It's pretty good, although Mage Knight is better.

I think Star Trek: Frontiers or the sharpie suggestion is probably your best option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteTruss14 wrote:
I have a similar problem with it, the magic. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of star trek so have to make do without it

Yet you play and rate highly Mage Wars Arena? I'm confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manustrium wrote:

Someone saw it comparable enough with Magic Realm to write this rather in depth comparison:

Ha! Someone beat me to suggesting my own review!

As for the original question, though, it depends on what parts of Mage Knight you like and want emulated. If you are looking for just fantasy theme, then theres plenty. If its specific mechanics, star trek frontiers is the only way to go. If you are looking for an immersive, open ended system with lots of options and possibilities, i would point you to Magic Realm (but there are others). If you like the puzzly aspect, Legends of Andor may be good. Different mechanics, but still puzzly.

If we are all off base, maybe try telling us more about what you liked about MK specifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jsc19702 wrote:
PeteTruss14 wrote:

The problems not mine but my fiancees. It doesn't bother me but Iv respected her wishes since we have moved in together. Both games are no longer in my collection even though they are both great games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manustrium wrote:

Mage Knight is essentially a reimplementation of Magic Realm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteTruss14 wrote:
jsc19702 wrote:
PeteTruss14 wrote:

The problems not mine but my fiancees. It doesn't bother me but Iv respected her wishes since we have moved in together. Both games are no longer in my collection even though they are both great games

Just curious, what is her reason for being against magic? I'd tell her "Babycakes, what do you think was happening when our eyes first met?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you elaborate a bit about what parts of Mage Knight you liked so much? It's a fairly unique game, so it's really hard to give suggestions without specifying what you liked so much.

To illustrate, these are all elements which you COULD be referring to:

Adventuring & combat
Deck building
Heavy depth & complexity
Interaction style (very competitive, multiplayer solitaire, purely cooperative: how did you play?)
Map exploration
High-fantasy theme
Long play time

Just to name a few!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
already been mentioned, but Emergence Event really is a highly underrated game that is very similar to Mage Knight. Give it a try. Expansion coming in a few months too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:

It's the same problem I had with Sentinels. Its probably my favourite game ever and for a while I just had stickers on the cards, but...I don't know, I just don't really want to spend my hard earned money on a game that has that kind of stuff. Is that stuff really necessary? Do they sell more games, really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
manustrium wrote:

Ha! Someone beat me to suggesting my own review!

As for the original question, though, it depends on what parts of Mage Knight you like and want emulated. If you are looking for just fantasy theme, then theres plenty. If its specific mechanics, star trek frontiers is the only way to go. If you are looking for an immersive, open ended system with lots of options and possibilities, i would point you to Magic Realm (but there are others). If you like the puzzly aspect, Legends of Andor may be good. Different mechanics, but still puzzly.

If we are all off base, maybe try telling us more about what you liked about MK specifically.

Great question! I think you guys are VERY on base! I haven't heard of the Star Trek game, so I'll look into that! I prefer fantasy to Sci Fi, but the mechanics were good.

I really liked the puzzly aspect of trying to use your cards as best you can to accomplish the most you can. Also, just the sheer number of different cards and encounters and bad guys and bonuses was overwhelming and enjoyable! Immersive is a good name for it.

I didn't really think Gloomhaven was similar, but I didn't know enough about Malice. Legends of Andor is already on my wishlist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:
PeteTruss14 wrote:
jsc19702 wrote:
PeteTruss14 wrote:

Just curious, what is her reason for being against magic? I'd tell her "Babycakes, what do you think was happening when our eyes first met?"

That's the line I used to get my wife! It also worked on the ticket taker at the movie theatre to get me into Lord of the Rings for free...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Could you elaborate a bit about what parts of Mage Knight you liked so much? It's a fairly unique game, so it's really hard to give suggestions without specifying what you liked so much.

To illustrate, these are all elements which you COULD be referring to:

Adventuring & combat YES
Deck building YES
Heavy depth & complexity MOSTLY
Interaction style (very competitive, multiplayer solitaire, purely cooperative: how did you play?) We played cooperative, and I would usually play that way or solo.
Map exploration YES
High-fantasy theme YES
Long play time Comes with the territory.

Just to name a few!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:
PeteTruss14 wrote:
jsc19702 wrote:
PeteTruss14 wrote:

So, it turns out I can't seem to talk about magic and the occult on here. Let me just say that we are Christians and we witness the real world effects of magic. None of it is good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.