Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy Heinz
United States
Kenockee
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) On Yog's sheet he has a reckoning effect. Is this performed each mythos round or just once at setup?

2) If the new mythos card drawn at the end of a round has a reckoning effect, is it performed with all other reckoning effects as soon as it is played? If this is the case, the rumor cards with eldritch tokens may as well just start with one less token because they mostly seem to remove tokens as their reckoning effect.

So far, after a few solo four investigator plays where I just got stomped, I really like this game. If I can just get the wife to like it! She keeps walking by the table saying, "Did you get it figured out yet? That looks like a lot of stuff to remember!" Fingers crossed.

As always, thanks in advance,

Guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all mythos cards trigger reckoning effects, only the ones with a reckoning symbol on them. I'm pretty sure the rumors usually don't have a reckoning symbol on them.

But yeah, you trigger Yog's reckoning effect each time you draw a mythos card with reckoning symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Heinz
United States
Kenockee
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see now what happens and also how wrong I have been playing. I just glanced through the yellow mythos cards (which I haven't used in a setup yet, to make the game easier) and saw that they have red reckoning symbols across the top which triggers the black reckoning symbols on cards. I was triggering all reckon ing effects on all cards and monsters at the end of each round. Do monsters in play with red reckoning symbols get activated each round?

Guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guyheinz wrote:
Do monsters in play with red reckoning symbols get activated each round?

No, only when there is a reckoning symbol on the mythos card for that turn's Mythos phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guyheinz wrote:
I just glanced through the yellow mythos cards (which I haven't used in a setup yet, to make the game easier)

I'm confused. Those colors are not related to difficulty. They are related to the Old One you are playing. A given Old One will require a certain number of green, yellow and blue for each part of its mythos deck...

If you want to tweak the difficulty of the mythos deck, the Hard cards are those with tentacles (whether the card is green, yellow or blue). I don't remember what the Easy ones look like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guyheinz wrote:
I see now what happens and also how wrong I have been playing. I just glanced through the yellow mythos cards (which I haven't used in a setup yet, to make the game easier) and saw that they have red reckoning symbols across the top which triggers the black reckoning symbols on cards. I was triggering all reckon ing effects on all cards and monsters at the end of each round. Do monsters in play with red reckoning symbols get activated each round?

Guy

Monsters with the reckoning symbols, like Yog, only trigger when a reckoning Mythos card (yellow) is drawn. The color of the reckoning symbol is purely cosmetic and has no effect on gameplay.

Whenever you draw a yellow card:
1. Resolve Monster Reckoning effects.
2. Resolve AO Reckoning effects.
3. Resolve Rumor reckoning effects.
4. Resolve investigator reckoning effects (spells, artifacts, Conditions, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Heinz
United States
Kenockee
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be sure I have this right: I draw the mythos card Lost Knowledge which has a black reckoning symbol and effect which causes me to discard one eldritch token from this card (after placing three eldritch tokens on it when played). If I am playing without yellow mythos cards, this effect will never trigger, correct?

Guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 9 of the reference guide under "Reckoning" it lists the order at which reckoning effects take place:
Monsters
Ancient Ones
Mythos cards
Possessions/Conditions from the First player clockwise in any order each player wishes.

And don't forget that the reckoning effects only occur when a Mythos card with the reckoning symbol is drawn and apply the effect of the Mythos cards effecs in order (including reckoning).

Have fun!

edit: ninja'd ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guyheinz wrote:
Just to be sure I have this right: I draw the mythos card Lost Knowledge which has a black reckoning symbol and effect which causes me to discard one eldritch token from this card (after placing three eldritch tokens on it when played). If I am playing without yellow mythos cards, this effect will never trigger, correct?

I don't remember if only the yellow cards have reckoning on them. The question is moot though since you can't play without yellow cards (unless there's an Old One I'm not aware of that never has yellow mythos cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Heinz
United States
Kenockee
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I thought the mythos cards were ranked blue easy, green medium, and yellow hard. I was using all blue and some green cards to just play an easy game and learn rules and mechanics. Are the mythos cards ranked in difficulty by color?

Guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guyheinz wrote:
For some reason I thought the mythos cards were ranked blue easy, green medium, and yellow hard. I was using all blue and some green cards to just play an easy game and learn rules and mechanics. Are the mythos cards ranked in difficulty by color?

Guy

No. Re-read the "constructing the Mythos deck" part in the learn to play guide. Yellow, green, and blue are all always used.

Changing the difficulty is in the FAQ section, I think.

Hard Mythos cards have red tentacles on them and easy ones have blue snowflake looking things on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guyheinz wrote:

The Old One you picked has a list of the cards you're supposed to be playing.

For instance, take Cthulhu:

It says you need

Stage 1: 2 yellow cards, 2 blue cards
Stage 2: 1 green card, 3 yellow cards
Stage 3: 3 green cards, 4 yellow cards

The colors aren't difficulty codes. The blues are always rumors, and I can never remember but one of the green or yellow are always monster surges while the other is always new portals opening. Given the distribution I am almost certain yellow is new portals. And reckoning effects I guess.

That means that in the first four turns of Cthulhu you know you will have 2 rumor cards coming up and two new gate opening sequences (the actual number of gates that open depend on number of players). Then you will never get any rumors for the rest of the game.

As mentioned above, the Hard cards are the ones with tentacles and the Easy ones are the ones with snowflakes-like thingees. If you want your game to be easier just remove the Hard cards with tentacles from each color type before picking cards to build your mythos deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yes, you are correct that if you leave out the yellow cards entirely, you will never activate any Reckoning effects. Which would be a very weird way to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Poitier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue cards are rumors, adding a "subquest" to the game. Unless I'm mistaken, all GOOs have 2 rumors, that happen in the first phase of their Mythos Deck

Green cards have monster surges (which add monsters to gates with the same sign as the Omen Track) and spawn clues

Yellow cards have Reckoning effects, which trigger all reckoning effects on cards with the symbol (in the following order: All Monsters, GOO, Cards in play (like Rumors (blue cards) and Green cards with a permanent effect until next Reckoning), Cards in Investigator's possession)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guyheinz wrote:

Guy

As others have pointed out, the color indicates the type of card; not the difficulty. The Ancient One's sheet tells you how many of each color to include.

The difficulty is indicated by the graphics (or lack of them) on the side of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.