$20.00
$5.00
$30.00
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4866113,00.html

Politics and religion together.

The E in UNESCO stands for education, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Temlle Mount in the old city, or is it the site of the mosque in question that is reffered to repewtedly in the document?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4866113,00.html

Politics and religion together.

The E in UNESCO stands for education, too.

Here's the resolution.

It does not say what you say it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Is the Temlle Mount in the old city, or is it the site of the mosque in question that is reffered to repewtedly in the document?

The Temple Mount is Haram esh-Sharif. The Al Aqsa Mosque is on top of the mount.

Of course the draft resolution doesn't exactly say what that site reports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

The Temple Mount is Haram esh-Sharif. The Al Aqsa Mosque is on top of the mount.

I get the feeling this is one of those messy situations where one side sees construction/restoration as legitimate for it's holy worship at the site and the othef sees the exact same construction as somehow offending/damaging/lessening its own interests on the site.

I'm not taking a stance because I know very little about the specific history or dispute in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

No, it asks for a reversion to the pre-2001 governance of the Temple Mount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
SO as I read it. Israel is denying access to the Mosque because under the mosque happens to be the spot where the Temple "was" located?

So who has dominion over that spot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demolish them both , put a mental health facility there and the region may have peace in about 5 billion years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
UNESCO says No connection between Jews and Jerusalem

Where does UNESCO actually say this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
Quote:

My title is in reference to the article's title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not looked at either the article nor the resolution from UNESCO but certainly the perception across the Middle East is that UNESCO is once again denying the Jewishness of this land and its holy sites. I can't be bothered to wallow in the shit to argue with morons whose head is up their arse whether that perception is correct or not. My assumption is that it probably is and even if it isn't, that's the way most of the world is actually taking it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
I have not looked at either the article nor the resolution from UNESCO but certainly the perception across the Middle East is that UNESCO is once again denying the Jewishness of this land and its holy sites. I can't be bothered to wallow in the shit to argue with morons whose head is up their arse whether that perception is correct or not. My assumption is that it probably is and even if it isn't, that's the way most of the world is actually taking it.

I was most looking forward to your comments, Moshe. I guess, in a way, you didn't disappoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an honest question out of curiosity - how is it known that what I belive is known as the wailing wall is actually part of the orginal temple and not built later or earlier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Can someome summarize for me how much access to the mount is being blocked? I get what the *actual* resolution is about (and yeah, good job on the absurdly distorted reporting there), but I"m not sure how much of a problem it really is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
mag74b wrote:
Quote:

My title is in reference to the article's title.

You can read the resolution and then see if the article was accurate, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
Just an honest question out of curiosity - how is it known that what I belive is known as the wailing wall is actually part of the orginal temple and not built later or earlier?

History and archaeology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Can someome summarize for me how much access to the mount is being blocked? I get what the *actual* resolution is about (and yeah, good job on the absurdly distorted reporting there), but I"m not sure how much of a problem it really is.

Yep it all boils down to how much access is being blocked or hindered by unreasonable security and how much 'redevelopment' there is and how that is affecting the archaeology and history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my apologies I did not know that name for the wall was considered offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
my apologies I did not know that name for the wall was considered offensive.

Who is offended? The Wailing Wall is not the term Jews or Muslims use but it's a perfectly known term. There is copious evidence both historical and archaeological that it was the Western Wall of the outer courtyard of the Temple district.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Israeli archaeologists have been itching to get at the area under a ramp built after the 1967 conquest. The ramp allows non-Muslims access to the Temple Mount. The combination of an earthquake and an especially wet winter led to the ramp partially collapsing and being declared unsafe by Israeli engineers.

Israeli authorities have repeatedly denied the archaeologists so as not to provoke the Palestinians. Now that the ramp is to be rebuilt, killing two birds with the single stone, the archaeologists were given the green light.

Lying by Palestinians is nothing new as is the complicity of the UN, in particular UNESCO. The denial of the connection between Israel and Judaism in this case is an act of omission. UNESCO goes out of its way to, for example, use only Islamic names, and repeatedly name a country called Palestine which does not nor has ever existed. One would think the UN knows this.

One of many lies with respect to Israel having nothing to do with Judaism is that the Western Wall is actually the remnants of an ancient Roman fortress. Palestinians absolutely hate any archaeological work as continually more evidence is unearthed placing Jewry in Israel in all eras. This is the crux of the current outrage, in addition to any pretext generally. Israeli archaeology is entirely professional, academic and well respected.

The reverse cannot be said, as Islamic destruction of other cultures is commonplace. Here, one can believe that Muhammad actually ascended to Heaven from this spot or that the Al-Aqsa Mosque was built on the known and most important site of Jewry, purposefully.

Aleppo is known to us currently because of the Syrian civil war. Aleppo was known to me long before that. The Aleppo Codex is/was the most canonical manuscript of the Hebrew Bible. I.e., any Hebrew Bible printed today traces back to this copy. It was largely burnt by Muslims after the outbreak of 1948 war.

Can you imagine the world-war-three-inciting murderous rampage had Jews burnt some Muslim holy manuscript. No, there is no Israeli conspiracy here. Israel's record for protecting the religious heritage of all religions speaks for itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine W
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Muslim confirmation that this is the site of Jewish King Solomon's Temple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.