$5.00
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Night of the Zealot – The Gathering (Solo, 1 Investigator)

WARNING: SPOILERS!

The nature of this game is an unfolding adventure. Therefore my description of playing through the scenario will reveal details about the scenario that can be an interesting surprise during game play and best left unknown until AFTER your first play.

Once played, there are still potentially different outcomes (“Resolutions”) and Encounter cards that you may not see until you replay the scenario again and again.

So be forewarned that reading this play through may spoil some surprises and carefully consider whether you want to wait until you play it first or if you want to see what the actual game is like before purchasing. Your call, but don’t say I didn’t warn you…

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It’s an abnormally warm September day in 1925. Daisy Walker, Librarian, is reading in her study. Life in Arkham is always a little strange and she has an…eclectic taste in books, especially tomes of arcane knowledge.

Known around town for her large library, investigative curiosity, and piercing intellect, when James Hankerson has a mystery he calls her and asks her help figuring out why there’s a dismembered body in his barn! The townspeople have all been on edge due to the hot summer weather that seems to never end. There have been reports of corpses turning up in the woods, savaged and half eaten. The police and newspapers suggest wild animals, but Daisy suspects otherwise…

Daisy puts down her current book and stands to go, but just then hears a faint chanting. And from below, a scratching, digging noise! Heading toward the study door, she finds it’s simply gone. Where the door stood, now only a wall, boxing her in her favorite room while the chanting and digging sounds increase!

Game mechanics will appear in italics between sections of story narrative.

For this solo game, I chose Daisy Walker for my investigator and built the starting deck from her list (mostly “Seeker” class cards) in the core set. Daisy has high Intellect (5) but low (2) Combat and Agility. Her special abilities revolve around having Tomes in play and her starting deck (of 30 cards) includes 3 Tomes. She has only 5 Health but 9 Sanity. Her special card is “Daisy’s Tote Bag” which gives her additional slots so she can have more Tomes in play than usually allowed. Her deck must also include the Necronomicon (John Dee Translation) which can turn successes into failures! Like all characters, she also gains a random Basic Weakness and I drew “Paranoia”.

“The Gathering” starts with the characters in the Study location which has 2 Clue tokens and a “Shroud” value of 2. The Agenda card, “What’s Going On”, sets the stage and has only a 3 Doom Threshold, so it will advance quickly! The Act card, “Trapped”, requires 2 Clues per Investigator to find a way out.

For a starting hand, I drew the Necronomicon (Weakness) which is set aside and another card drawn instead (you do not implement Weakness cards if drawn during setup) and then reshuffled. I ended up with: “Mind over Matter”, “Magnifying Glass”, “Scrying”, “Shrivelling”, and “Blinding Light”.

Daisy gathers her research tools, including her favorite old Magnifying Glass and some of her spell books. As the noise grows closer, she decides first to prepare her Shriveling spell, just in case someone breaks in while she is trying to break out!

Quickly examining the room with a practiced eye, looking for odd, out of place changes (besides the door now being a wall), she discovers the edge of her new rug is tattered and stained. Shifting the furniture, Daisy is surprised to see the study door is now in the flooring!

Opening the door, she moves into the hallway beyond. The usual entrances to the Attic and Cellar looked normal, but entry to the Parlor is blocked by a glowing, magical barrier! How to get through? After all, the Parlor leads to the front door and the only possible exit from the house.

I play the Asset “Magnifying Glass” which adds +1 to Intellect when Investigating. Daisy’s Intellect is already 5, but discovering Clues is almost always critical in this game and buffing it to 6 seems like a good early choice. And having the keyword “Fast”, does not require an Action to put into play. Since you start with 5 Resources, I pay the 1 Resource for “Magnifying Glass” and have 4 left.

For my first Action, I play “Shriveling” which gains 4 tokens (“charges”) which are used to track how many times it can be used. I put this Spell into play (characters only have 2 Arcane Slots, so it takes up 1) to give Daisy some fighting ability. Normally her Combat skill is only 2, but when using Shriveling, she can use Willpower (3) instead.

For my second and third actions, I Investigate. This action is how you gain Clues from Locations. The Study comes into play with 2 Clue tokens on it. I have to make an Intellect test which, thanks to the Magnifying Glass, raises my skill to 6 versus the “Shroud” value of the location, which in the Study is only 2. I still have to draw a token from the Chaos Bag to add to my test though, and while none of the negatives can cause me to fail, there is always the auto-fail token. I pull a +1 token on both attempts making the test 7 vs 2 and since my modified value is equal to or greater than the Shroud number, I succeed.

After my third action, I now have 2 Clues. So I can advance the current Act! This is done as a “Fast” ability, requiring no action, so even though I’ve used up all 3 of my actions, I can still trigger the Act advance. Resolving Act 1 puts the Hallway, Cellar, Attic, and Parlor locations into play and removes the Study while moving the investigator to the Hallway.

The Locations are connected to each other through a set of icons that shows the Hallway connects to all 3 other locations, but none of them connect to anything other than the Hallway itself. I lay out the cards with the Hallway in the center, creating a game board-like layout showing their connectivity. The new locations, other than the Hallway where Daisy is, are put into play with their “Unrevealed” side up, so I do not know what special effects, shroud values, number of clues, etc. these locations may contain. They won’t be revealed until someone moves to that location.

Act 2 describes the barrier to the Parlor and requires 3 Clues per investigator to solve.

The Enemy Phase is next, but with no Enemy cards in play, it has no effect.

The Upkeep Phase gains me 1 card (“Flashlight”) and 1 resource. Hand size is within limit.

On we go to Round 2!

From now on, the first phase every turn is the Mythos Phase! 1 Doom token is placed on the Agenda card, advancing the evil plot. The Agenda needs 3 Doom to advance, but it only has 1 so it doesn’t.

Encounter cards must be drawn by each Investigator. With only one, I draw one card, “Grasping Hands”, which requires an Agility Test (3) and Daisy will take 1 damage for each point by which she fails. Daisy has an Agility of 2. With “Blinding Light” in my hand, I could discard it to gain +1 boost from its Agility icon, but I would rather keep the card to play later, so I hold it.

Drawing from the Chaos Bag reveals a Skull token. The Scenario Reference Card for “The Gathering” on Easy/Standard mode says that a Skull token is worth –X where X is the number of Ghoul enemies at my location. There are none, so X=0. My Agility of 2-0=2, my Agility test result. The test difficulty was 3 and I must take 1 damage for each point I failed by. 3-2=1, so Daisy takes 1 damage.

Now on to the Investigation Phase!

Daisy ponders if it’s better to go up into the Attic or down into the Cellar. While standing in the Hallway so long, Grasping Hands from below break through the floor boards and grab at her legs!

She runs up the stairs into the Attic to get away! Once she catches her breath and calms down from the surprise attack, she realizes that her legs are bleeding from claw marks. The wounds seem relatively superficial, so she opens the Attic door and steps inside.

She recoils in Horror, as she sees before her a carcass of some kind, hanging from the beams, dripping blood into a small barrel beneath it.

For my first Action, I choose to Move to a connected location, the Attic. Since it’s the first time an Investigator has moved here, it is flipped to its Revealed side. The Attic has a Shroud value of 1 and 2 Clues per Investigator so I add 2 Clue Tokens to the card. It has an immediate Forced effect that I take 1 Horror.
Daisy now has 1 Damage (from Grasping Hands) out of her 5, and 1 Horror (from Attic) out of her 9.

Daisy’s curiosity overcomes the horror of the situation. She pulls her Magnifying Glass and looks around the Attic, discovering Clues that give her some information about what is going on in her home, but not enough to come up with a plan yet. Maybe it’s time to check out the Cellar next?

Second Action, Investigate. Daisy’s 5 Intellect +1 for the Magnifying Glass = 6. I draw a token from the Chaos Bag, “-1” so my result is 6-1=5, which is equal to or greater than the Shroud value of the location (Attic’s Shroud is 1), so I gain 1 Clue token.

Third Action, Investigate. Same 6 but I draw a “0” from the Chaos Bag this time. Still successful so I gain another Clue token. Now I have 2 Clue tokens, but the Act 2 card requires 3 Clues per Investigator to advance. Time to head to the Cellar, the only other location open to me.

Enemy Phase is next, but luck holds and no Enemy cards are in play.

In the Upkeep Phase I draw “Paranoia!”. This is horrible as it causes me to discard all my Resources! Sigh.

Round 3.

Mythos Phase. Add 1 Doom so there are now 2 total on the Agenda. Not enough (needs 3) to advance. Draw the “Dissonant Voices” Encounter card which goes into play in my Threat Area (an “in play” area for Encounter cards affecting your Investigator). The effect is that I cannot play Assets or Events, which seriously limits my game, since playing cards from my hand is important. Thankfully, it has a Forced effect that limits its effect to only one Round.

Daisy makes her way down the stairs from the Attic back into the Hallway and then heads down the stairs into the Cellar. Dissonant voices seem to whisper in her head, causing a ringing headache, but she must go on.

She slips on a patch of ice on the bottom stair. A deep chill bites at her as she moves further among the old things stored here. Tunnels seem have been recently opened into and out of the Cellar, going who knows where!

The Cellar is very dark. If only the voices in her head would quit screaming, she might have remembered the flashlight in her bag. Still, she must Investigate quickly if she’s to find a way out of this nightmare.

Wait. There’s lots of ice here. And a barrel in the Attic. Maybe the intense heat of the barrier in front of the Parlor can be affected by cold? That’s at least worth a try.

Using this clever plan, Daisy tosses the ice and snow at the glowing Barrier which causes it to dissipate! At last the way to the Parlor is now open! Escape just might be possible.

First Action, Move to Hallway.

Second Action, Move to Cellar. Cellar has a Forced effect that deals 1 damage to Daisy.

Third Action, Investigate. I’d love to put my “Flashlight” into play since the Cellar’s Shroud value is 4, but the “Dissonant Voices” card in my Threat Area keeps me from playing Assets, so that option’s out this round. So I just have to trust Daisy’s ability (which is high) and her “Magnifying Glass”. 5+1=6. Chaos Bag draw is a +1 giving me a 7 versus the 4 Shroud, so I gain 1 Clue.

Now I have 3 Clues which is the amount required to Advance the Act. Flipping the Act 2 card, the instructions say to Reveal (flip) the Parlor and put Lita Chantler into play in the Parlor.

The Parlor has two potential Actions that can be Activated. One is “Resign”, which, while ending the game, might be better than being defeated! The other is “Parley”, which allows an Investigator to try an Intellect (4) test to gain control of Lita Chantler as an Ally Asset. Lita’s card gives Investigators a +1 to their Combat Skill and has a Reaction that triggers when you attack a Monster, giving +1 Damage! She’d be great to have in a fight!

Then Act 3 is put into play. No amount of Clues will Advance it! It requires the “Ghoul Priest” to be defeated in order to Advance. Since it’s the last Act card, advancing it will also end the game in a positive Resolution!

Standing at the top of the Cellar stairs, with the barrier gone, Daisy can see that in her Parlor there stands a woman bearing a torch. “What have you done to my barrier!” the woman screams! But before Daisy can answer, some…thing dressed in bloody robes of red wearing a mask of bone bursts through the Hallway wall and heads straight toward Daisy and the Cellar!

Enemy Phase. Enemies with the Hunter keyword move and the “Ghoul Priest” is a Hunter! So he moves to the Cellar where Daisy is and Engages her. Then it attacks, doing 2 Damage and 2 Horror. This takes Daisy to 4 Damage (out of 5) and 4 Horror (out of 9). She may not go crazy, but Daisy is perilously close to being Defeated by taking too much physical Damage.

Upkeep Phase. Draw 1 card, “Forbidden Knowledge” and gain 1 Resource.

The End of the Round causes the “Dissonant Voices” card to be discarded, so I can play cards next Round! I’ll need them.

Round 4.

Mythos Phase. 1 Doom token is added and with 3 Doom on it, Agenda 1 is Advanced. Flipping Agenda 1 has the effect that I must either discard a random card from my hand or take 2 Horror. I really don’t want to lose “Mind Over Matter” since it allows me to use my Intellect, my highest Skill, for Combat and Agility during a round. Daisy still has quite a bit of Sanity, so I take the 2 Horror. Daisy is now 4 of 5 Damage, 6 of 9 Horror! This game will end soon!

Agenda 2 is put into play. It requires 7 Doom tokens to Advance, so at least I have some time.

Encounter card draw - “Frozen In Fear”. Horrible timing! It goes into my Threat Area and if I Move, Fight, or Evade, those Actions will cost me TWO Actions. At the end of the Round I can test Willpower (3) and hopefully succeed to discard this card. Otherwise, with little ability to Fight or Evade, it looks pretty hopeless.

The sight of the ghoulish figure causes Daisy to freeze with fear! What should she do? She cannot possibly fight such a creature. Her only hope lies in escaping through the Parlor. She must run!

Investigation Phase.

Being Engaged now with the Ghoul Priest, if I try any Action other than Fight, Evade, Parley, or Resign, the Enemy will get an “attack of opportunity”, dealing 2 Damage and 2 Horror, enough to Defeat Daisy. I don’t have the option to Parley or Resign in the Cellar (only the Parlor), so I can’t do that. It’s either Fight or Evade.

Daisy’s Combat skill is 2. The monster’s Fight Value is 4. Even using my “Shriveling” spell, which uses an Action to Fight but allows Daisy to use Willpower (3) instead of Combat (2) and adds +1 Damage, I’m not likely to succeed.

And if Daisy fails in the attack, the Ghoul Priest has the keyword “Retaliate”, which means he will automatically attack back, out of phase, immediately causing her to be defeated. If the game ends due to her being Defeated, then I have to mark the Trauma in the Campaign Log which means (if it’s physical damage) that Daisy will start every game from now on with 1 Damage already on her! With her low Health, this would make every future scenario a lot harder.

So I choose to Evade. Evading, if successful, exhausts the Enemy (keeping it from moving or attacking this round) and disengages it from my Investigator. But in order to Evade, I have to make an Agility test (Daisy’s is 2) against the Ghoul Priest’s Evade Value, which is 4.

Luckily, in my hand I have two cards with Agility icons that can be discarded to boost Daisy’s Agility test, making it 4 to 4. There aren’t many 0 or +1 tokens in the Chaos Bag. It’s not good odds, but it’s the best chance I have.

First and Second Actions. Evade. I draw a 0 from the Chaos Bag!!! Daisy Evades successfully, although it takes 2 Actions. The Ghoul Priest is Exhausted and disengaged from Daisy.

Third Action. Move to Hallway.

Daisy dodges past the creature and races into the Hallway, heading for the exit! Under her feet, the floor boards are separating and through the gaps she sees the movement of more unnatural creatures! Claws reach up through the floor and try to grab her, but somehow she manages to nimbly escape!

Enemy Phase. Since the Ghoul Priest is Exhausted, he does not hunt or attack this Round.

Upkeep Phase. The Ghoul Priest is Readied (unexhausted). Draw 1 card, “Knife”, and gain 1 Resource. “Knife”! Just in time! A combat weapon. Still, Daisy’s not very good with it.

End of Round, Daisy tests Willpower to get rid of “Frozen in Fear”. Her Skill is 3, she draws a Skull. Even though the Ghoul Priest is a Ghoul, he is in the Cellar and so not at her location, so the value of the token in the test is 0 and the results are 3 vs 3, so she succeeds and the Encounter card is discarded. Whew.

Round 5

Mythos Phase. 1 Doom is placed on Agenda 2, which needs 7 to Advance. Encounter Card drawn, “Grasping Hands”. Daisy must make an Agility (3) test or take 1 Damage. Any Damage will defeat her! Having used all Agility icons on cards in my hand for Evading, I have no way to boost this test, so it’s 3 vs 3. The Chaos Bag has been kind so far…+1! Daisy succeeds and takes no Damage. Amazing.

Investigation Phase.

First Action. Move to Parlor.

Second Action. Parley with Lita. I have to make a Intellect (4) test. Daisy’s Intellect Skill is 5, but I need to win this and so discard my “Flashlight” card to use its Intellect icon to gain +1 and then I draw a -2 from the Chaos Bag. 5+1-2=4 which is exactly enough to succeed! Lita is added to my play area as an Ally Asset!

Now I have to decide what to do with my last Action this Round.

Daisy is really beaten up. The “best” Resolution may be to finish Act 3, but that requires Defeating the Ghoul Priest and his Health is 5 per Investigator! Fighting him got easier with Lita (who adds +1 to Combat and +1 Damage) and I do have my “Knife” card, which also adds +1 to Combat every attack, OR I can throw it for +2 Combat and +1 Damage, but only once.

But using the “Resign” Action on the Parlor card would end it in probably a better way than losing to the monster in combat.

If I fail in any attack against the Ghoul Priest, since he has Retaliate, he will immediately attack back and Daisy would be Defeated, except now with Lita as an Ally, she also brings 3 Health and 3 Sanity, and Damage and Horror tokens can be placed on her instead of Daisy. That gives me a little breathing room.

What to do…

In truth, if I were playing the full campaign with Daisy, I’d probably select “Resign” and live to fight another day. But since I played this scenario specifically as a (hopefully) exciting example, I’ll choose to fight it to the end!

Third Action. Play “Knife” (costs 1 Resource). Wish me luck!

Enemy Phase. The Ghoul Priest is a Hunter, so he moves from the Cellar to the Hallway. He cannot attack Daisy since she’s in the Parlor.

Upkeep Phase. I draw “Research Librarian” and gain 1 Resource. “Research Librarian” doesn’t really help in combat and is an Ally Asset. You’re only allowed 1 Ally in play at a time and Lita is much more useful, so this card probably won’t get used.

Daisy makes it to the Parlor and stands face to face with the strange woman in her house. Daisy tries to talk to the woman, learning her name is Lita Chantler, and that she is here to help fight the evil that has taken over Daisy’s home. Daisy hands Lita her flashlight as a replacement for her dying torch and asks the woman if she thinks they should flee out the front door while they can, or if they should turn and fight. Lita’s eyes light up with zeal as she says, “Fight!”

Round 6.

Mythos Phase. 1 Doom placed on Agenda 2, making 2 of the needed 7. Encounter card “Rotting Remains” drawn. I must do a Willpower (3) test and for each point by which it is failed, Daisy takes a Horror. Daisy is at 6 of 9 Sanity already. Chaos Bag draw is a “0”! 3+0=3 versus 3 needed, success! No Horror taken.

Investigator Phase.

First Action. Move to Hallway. Ghoul Priest automatically Engages Daisy.

Second Action. Fight the Ghoul Priest! Daisy has Combat Skill 2; as an Ally, Lita adds +1, the “Knife” Asset adds +1, so my total is 4. The monster’s Fight value is 4. There are 16 tokens in the Chaos Bag. Only 6 of them will give me 0 or +1 to win, so less than 50% chance… I draw a +1! Winning does 1 Damage to the Ghoul Priest and Lita adds another Damage, so the Ghoul Priest has 2 Damage (out of 5 Health). Since I was successful at the attack, his Retaliate ability does not trigger and he doesn’t get to attack back.

Third Action. Fight the Ghoul Priest. I need to do 3 Damage in this attack in order to Defeat him. If I don’t, we move on into the Enemy Phase and he’ll attack. So I choose to throw the “Knife”, discarding the card for a +2 Combat boost and an additional point of Damage if I succeed. So now I have Combat 5 versus his 4. Much better odds. And so I draw from the Chaos Bag…-1!!! 5-1=4 so Daisy wins that combat! She does 1 Damage for winning, 1 Damage for Lita, and 1 Damage for having discarded the “Knife” for a total of 3 Damage, which with the 2 Damage already done is 5 Damage, killing the Ghoul Priest!

Having succeeded at the requirement to Advance Act 3, I flip Act 3 and read the card.

Lita, the zealot, wants me to burn down my house to get rid of the evil within! I have a choice to either agree and burn it down or refuse because it’s my home. If I burn it, I read Resolution 1 in the Campaign Guide. If I refuse, I read Resolution 2.

These are the sorts of choices that affect the campaign long term and are left totally in the hands of the players.

I imagine that Lita won’t stay with me if I don’t follow her lead, and she’s a great Ally combating monsters, something that Daisy is weak in. So I choose to burn down the house.

Daisy with Lita charges into the Hallway and throws herself on the Ghoul Priest who has invaded her home! Wielding the knife as best as she can, with Lita’s help she manages to wound the monster. But being no fighter, Daisy tires quickly and realizes she must finish this quickly. So she throws the knife with all her strength in one last heroic effort and manages with a lucky throw to slay the beast!!!

With its death, the burrowing beneath the floorboards diminishes, though the house itself is in a shambles and who knows what still lurks. The women head toward the door, but Lita pauses and says to Daisy, “We must burn this hell-pit to the ground!” Daisy would hate to see her home destroyed, but it’s already a horrible wreck full of nightmares. And she has come to trust her new ally, without whose help Daisy could not have defeated the monster.

Daisy nods. Lita applies the torch to the broken boards and torn curtains. Both women exit the building and stand on the sidewalk as eerie sounds from below mix with the flames as the house collapses into ash.

Resolution 1 has me note in the Campaign Log that my house is burned down. I do get to keep the “Lita Chantler” card and add it to my deck! I suffer 1 Mental Trauma, which means Daisy will start every game with 1 Horror on her automatically. Since Daisy has 9 Sanity, that’s okay, but with other Investigators that might be very bad.

And lastly I gain Experience Points. The Ghoul Priest says Victory 2, so I get 2 Experience Points for defeating him. I also get points for each Location without any Clue tokens remaining. I claimed all the Clues in the Study and Attic, but left 1 in the Cellar. The Study has no Victory listed, so it gives no points, but the Attic has Victory 1, so I gain 1 more for a total of 3 Experience Points. And Resolution 1 gives us 2 bonus Experience Points, so I have 5 to use to upgrade Daisy’s deck.

Daisy’s Deckbuilding Options allow Seeker cards levels 0-5, Mystic cards 0-2, and Neutral cards 0-5. Her deck size is 30 cards (Lita doesn’t count against this).

I pull out the four Level 1-5 Seeker cards, and the two Level 1-2 Mystic cards, and the many Neutral cards 0-3 (there are no level 4-5 neutral cards in the core set).

Of most interest to me (because my Investigator is Daisy) are:

Bulletproof Vest (Neutral 3) which gives 4 Health.
Unexpected Courage (Neutral 0) which has 2 “wild” icons to boost any Skill test!
Magnifying Glass (Seeker 1) which gives the same +1 when Investigating as the one I already have, BUT it has a Free Trigger to allow me to pull it back into my hand so it doesn’t fill up a Hand Slot, allowing me to only use it when I need it.
Disc of Itzamna (Seeker 2) which has a Reaction Trigger that would let Daisy discard the card to discard a non-Elite Enemy if it spawns in her location! Plus 3 boost icons.
Encyclopedia (Seeker 2) which Exhausts to gain +2 to ANY Skill for the Phase!

I decide to spend 2 points on Encyclopedia, 2 on Disc of Itzamna, and 1 on Unexpected Courage (even 0 level cards cost 1 Experience Point when being added when you upgrade your deck.

Now the hard part. I have to remove 3 cards from my deck to stay within my 30 card limit.

I return “Perception”, “Holy Rosary”, and “Ward of Protection”. All good cards, but I like the new ones better.

And with my deck rebuilt, I’m ready to continue the campaign…

I feel obligated to provide the following information. This play through was written using a Beta test copy of the game provided by Fantasy Flight Games. I was a beta play tester for FFG on this game. No compensation for this writing was involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic play report! This really gives me a good idea of how the game runs, and makes me feel confident with my preorder

What were your impressions of the game? Was it enjoyable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two other quick notes:
1 - your luck was obscene here, right? I thought there were only 2 or 3 +1 or 0s in the whole bag!?
2 - did you accidentally cheat the turn after the priest appeared? Moving and evading cost 2 actions for that turn, and you did both, using 4 actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Fantastic play report! This really gives me a good idea of how the game runs, and makes me feel confident with my preorder

What were your impressions of the game? Was it enjoyable?

Thanks.

My review is pending and should be posted soon. The game is brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Two other quick notes:
1 - your luck was obscene here, right? I thought there were only 2 or 3 +1 or 0s in the whole bag!?

Not really (though I did have some good luck moments!).

For the Night of the Zealot campaign on EASY, the Chaos Bag contains two +1 and three 0 (so 5 out of 16). And the "skull" token (of which there are 2 in the bag) is -1 per Ghoul in The Gathering and often there aren't any Ghouls so the Skull can count as 0 too.

I try and go into tests with one more point than needed so that I'll succeed then on anything but a -2. And on Easy there are only two -2 tokens plus one of the odd tokens in The Gathering counts as a -2 also, so only 4 out of 16 chance of failure (including the auto-fail token).

GameMasterX0 wrote:
2 - did you accidentally cheat the turn after the priest appeared? Moving and evading cost 2 actions for that turn, and you did both, using 4 actions.

Doh! You're correct. I forgot that moving also costs two actions due to “Frozen In Fear”. I got so excited having Evaded (which I remembered to pay 2 actions to do) that I completely missed that effect when I moved.

In my Daisy deck, I also have Leo De Luca, who is costly but once in play gives Daisy a 4th Action! He doesn't appear in this play through, but it's in situations just like this that he's amazingly powerful.

Let me identify another error in my play through. I paid clues to advance Act 2 when Daisy was in the Cellar. This is not allowed. Act 2 specifically says I have to be in the Hallway, so I should have waited one more round. AND, that would have caused the Ghoul Priest to immediately engage with Daisy, since she'd be in the Hallway when he appeared.

I have played this scenario several times and yet managed to forget this!

My apologies for this error (and any others found). I'll freely admit that there's so much going on in this game (which is wonderful and no two games ever seem to play exactly alike!) that I sometimes miss things, especially when trying to play and take notes.

At this point, all I can say is that hopefully the mechanics and story are helpful to read even if there are errors in the play itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great replies. The whole game sounds great.

Another quick question. Is there a mechanical difference between agenda 1 and 2? Does #2 add special rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My review has been posted here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23953964
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Great replies. The whole game sounds great.

Another quick question. Is there a mechanical difference between agenda 1 and 2? Does #2 add special rules?

Thanks.

Each stage of the Act and Agenda can be triggered by different requirements and have different effects. Usually, Agendas require a certain amount of Doom and Acts require a certain number of clues per investigator.

As to "The Gathering"'s Agenda 1 and Agenda 2 cards, they both simply require a set number of Doom tokens (3 and 7, respectively).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.