GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,259 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Jaynestown and Scrap Shop Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrap shop reads,
"When you fight the scrap shop, reveal the top card of your deck."

But then it says,
"If a card you discarded has at least 1 printed fight, defeat the scrap shop."

Is this a misprint that should say if a card you revealed has at least 1 printed fight?

Also, the special "stuck in the mud" reals are a bit confusing.
"All cards in the verse are stationary except inevitable cards.

Does this mean only revealed cards are stationary?

Finally, episode 6-8 seem nearly impossible. Any tips for what characters we should use or which ones we should put in the deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1621788/scrap-shop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azikin wrote:

Thanks for providing the link. I didn't look far enough down (second page of results) when I did my rules forum search. My bad.

We beat the scenario earlier today using Jayne and Zoe as our player characters. Jayne helped beat scenario 1 with the scrap shop and his attack power with talents came in handy for the attack-heavy scenario 2. Zoe came in handy when disobeying orders in scenario 3.

We did not use Mal and inara as main characters which helped us avoid a nasty event in episode 7, I believe. We put Simon and kaylee in the deck to buy cards that would help us heal or avoid ship and crew strikes. Simons double your money card came in handy with repairing ship strikes and getting rid of gas leaks.

Finally, we did not scan a single card in episode 6, which prevented what's her face from adding extra cards to the verse every time she moved. And we got really lucky by scanning the card that lets you get rid of a fire very early in episode 8 and even luckier by not scanning any bad guys except one which was quickly defeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
imtylerdurden wrote:
Finally, we did not scan a single card in episode 6, which prevented what's her face from adding extra cards to the verse every time she moved.

If you never scanned a card, then you must have failed the second objective, as once Saffron hits the Combat Zone, she "escapes" (is removed from the game and each player gains a Flaw). If you never scanned any cards, there would be no chance to defeat her prior to her hitting the CZ and thus escaping. (I suppose Zoe's "Shotgun Blast" card could defeat an enemy without revealing it, but you said you had Zoe as a Main Character, so that card would not have been available unless you were playing a variant that alters the crew deck composition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is you don't need to succeed at the first two episodes. You only have to succeed at the mandatory objectives in the last episode (C). This would mean you could finish the second objective for episode 6 (scrap shop) which would progress the game to the next episode or you could survive for one turn per player after revealing the inevitable card which would progress you to the next episode also. Did I miss something? I just double checked the objective card, scrap shop card, and saffron card and don't see any text that requires you to defeat saffron.

Edited for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why some objectives are marked as Mandatory. The one in question is not, IIRC..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Defeating Saffron isn't a Mandatory Objective, so you can still continue if you fail that objective. However, you can't advance to the next episode until all objectives have been resolved (either successfully completed, or failed). Many objectives can only definitively be failed by the Inevitable card ending the episode, but some can be failed prior to that (such as Saffron escaping).

But you can't just choose to move on to the next episode just because you've successded on one objective (unless there is only one objective for that episode).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our game, saffron escaped first and then we defeated the scrap shop, which fulfilled both objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
imtylerdurden wrote:
In our game, saffron escaped first and then we defeated the scrap shop, which fulfilled both objectives.

Just like in the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the question about stationary cards, only revealed cards should be considered stationary, I believe. It doesn't really matter if hidden cards are pushed or a new card is put into the place before the hidden card that already is in the verse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Azikin wrote:
As for the question about stationary cards, only revealed cards should be considered stationary, I believe. It doesn't really matter if hidden cards are pushed or a new card is put into the place before the hidden card that already is in the verse.

According to Danny Mandel (one of the designers of this game), the face-down (non-revealed) cards are stationary too (except for when the Inevitable card starts pushing things along).

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23711544#23711544
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. So then do new cards added to the verse at the beginning of a player's turn "leap frog" existing cards in the verse that are stationary and go to the next "open" verse space? That seems odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imtylerdurden wrote:
Interesting. So then do new cards added to the verse at the beginning of a player's turn "leap frog" existing cards in the verse that are stationary and go to the next "open" verse space? That seems odd.

Yes, or even straight into the Combat Zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gameplay-wise, it shouldn't make a difference which way you do it, since they are supposed to be random, unrevealed cards either way. (unless you're cheating and peeking at the cards, or if you are River Tam using your psychic abilities)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly why I don't understand why you would confuse the rules. Why make hidden cards stationary? Maybe it's because it's easier to not have to slide down every card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's likely just to keep consistency with what 'all cards in the Verse' means. It may only have a cosmetic effect in this situation, but it allows you to figure out what would happen in other cases with similar wording where it may matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
imtylerdurden wrote:
That's exactly why I don't understand why you would confuse the rules. Why make hidden cards stationary? Maybe it's because it's easier to not have to slide down every card.

It was primarily a flavor decision. The idea that EVERYTHING is stuck in the mud.

That said, I wish we'd made it clearer on the Objective since this question has come up several times.

Thank you,
Danny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.