BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Market Research survey rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heman & Suzie Neurons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi All,

We have created a survey that we hope can give us some insight into our new abstract board game's target market, as we believe there is an opportunity to bring back traditional-style games to suit the modern lifestyle.

We hope this game we've created can bring back the social aspect of gatherings and entertain friends and families for a short time of light-hearted fun.

It is still early days and we know it may not suit the board gaming market at first, because it isn't themed-based and it is not a pure strategy game. We have instead combined chance and strategy to make for an amusing game that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and not just gamers.

We hope you can spare 5 minutes to help us gain some invaluable insight into its possibilities, thank you for filling the survey! We look forward to reading your responses

https://goo.gl/forms/9Jt4iWk6zvNMMe6b2

Best,

Heman & Suzie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you like ‘Pegged In’, why is this? (You can choose more than one) *

is a required question, so I have to choose an answer, even if I didn't like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you have played a board game in the last year or two, who have you played it with? *
Family
Friends
Work Colleagues
Other People

only allows one answer, many of us would select more than one box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does this read more like an advertisement than a survey?

Why are questions like this "one choice only"?

Quote:
f you have played a board game in the last year or two, who have you played it with? *
Family
Friends
Work Colleagues
Other People

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick follow up.

I've read the rules document and I want to make sure I understand correctly.

A player starts with 10 tokens.
On your turn you roll 2 dice.
If you roll double 6s...
...either score 6 of your own tokens
...or take 6 total tokens from other players.
If you roll double non-6s, take that number of tokens from other players.

If you roll two different numbers, pick one of them.
If you pick "6": score a token.
If you pick "non-6": Place a token in 'limbo' of that number.
... unless that number's limbo is already filled, in which case take that token.

I see two total decisions in this game:
1/ When double 6s are rolled, the choice of stealing or scoring.
2/ When different numbers are rolled, which to act on.

Even here, I don't really think there's much of a decision to be made. Unless I miss my guess, scoring is always better than getting new tokens, which is always better than losing a token. This means that there's really no decisions to be made, and players are basically rolling dice and moving tokens around.

In short, this is a very pretty version of LCR.

I'm glad you hit your goal and will be going to production, but I'm not sure there's a whole lot of game here. It seems much more like an activity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heman & Suzie Neurons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi indigopotter, thank you for the quick response! As many things, we are always iterating and have realised this should not be a requirement, you're right. Otherwise it pre-assumes the person filling the survey likes it, which might not necessarily be the case indeed. It has now been amended, thanks again.

Best,

Heman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heman & Suzie Neurons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Same as with the previous question, you're correct! it's been amended now, thank you for your help

Heman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heman & Suzie Neurons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi @byronczimmer, you're right that the question about who you have played with should allow for multiple answers, so we've amended it now. Thank you for bringing it up

Regarding your other question, this is a market research survey, so it is designed by us to obtain insight into our product and the psychographic profile of those who might be interested in it. Surveys are intended to help gather data that can be then analysed to draw useful conclusions, and we think this one answers the key questions we need to know about. Is it that strange?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heman & Suzie Neurons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
@byronczimmer thanks for taking the time to discuss this. You've understood the instructions manual correctly and make the correct point that most often (specially during the beginning of the game), there is a most advantageous option than the others. However, later on in the game, the choice between whether to score or take a peg from the board when one rolls a 6 and a non 6, is a strategic one to be made which depends on the gameplay of the other players, how many pegs they have left and how many they have scored already.

You have nevertheless made a valid interpretation, which is that the game generally relies on luck with the odd exception where a strategic move is required. This is a feature that we don't particularly like, and since those instructions were launched during the Kickstarter campaign last March there's been plenty of play-testing and variation of the base rules. We've been tweaking them to achieve a better balance between chance and strategy by significantly enhancing the weight of the latter, and now have a set of rules which make it more interesting and strategic, guaranteeing each game is not a repetition of the previous one.

However please note that this is still intended to be a family board game to be enjoyed by all ages, from young children to elderly people, and we have very consciously chosen not to part with the luck component because we think it makes the game enjoyable by those who are not strong on the strategic aspect too. We will be releasing an updated instructions manual soon which will hopefully present significant improvement from the previous one! We are happy to converse about this, so long as there's constructive exchange of ideas

Thanks again,

Heman & Suzie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.