Galaxy Defenders» Forums » General

Subject: Agents I shouldnt use for new core campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot agents from the second kickstarter and was wondering if any of these agents shouldn't be used when starting a new campaign.

I don't believe any of these agents are from the expansions although I did need to get the minis for GD-5 and Vigil from the expansion boxes.

I also think the psionic rules are in one of the expansions so I would have to dig those out but I do not know if they unbalance the core campaign.

Agent Archon - Psionic
Agent GD-5 - Biotech
Agent Tritum - Support
Agent Niobium - Psionic
Agent Knight - Support
Agent Knight - Guardian
Agent Bio-Armor - Generic

Agent Chromium - Marine
Agent Chromium 2 - Marine
Agent titanium - Hulk
Agent N - Infiltrator
Agent Iron - Hulk
Agent Thorium - Biotech
Agent Xeno-Hunter - Generic
Agent Iridium - Sniper
Agent S - Sniper
Agent Mercury - Infiltrator
Agent Silver - Marine
Agent G-Droid - Biotech

Agent Vanadium - Infiltrator
Agent Vigil - Sniper
Agent Scandium - Marine
Agent Xeno-Warrior Guardian - Hulk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The five core agents are the most balanced, and work great no matter where you start:

* Agent Chromium
* Agent Titanium
* Agent Thorium
* Agent Iridium
* Agent Mercury

The Kickstarter 1 agents tend to be a little more powerful than their core counterparts, but are still entirely appropriate for the core campaign:

* Agent N
* Agent S
* Agent Iron
* Agent Silver
* Agent G-Droid
* Agent Xeno-Hunter

The Xeno-Hunter is arguably the most overpowered agent early on in the campaign, but it balances out if you use him the whole time because late campaign he's underpowered compared to your other agents (no access to class-specific weapons/devices).

The rest of the agents are from the second Kickstarter, and while they are mechanically compatible with the core campaign, certain combinations of them can push you into overpowered territory (though you can always up the difficult by enabling more optional rules, or using Elite Alien Army/Legion). And of course if you use someone with early access to Psionic powers, critical hits, or markers then you'll need to go diving into the expansion boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you suggest not using agents with psionics, crits, or marks?

I was thinking of adding psionics mostly because I think someone of our group will pick Niobium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd Degani wrote:
Do you suggest not using agents with psionics, crits, or marks?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It depends on your group. Those things are going to increase the complexity of the game, but for some players that's not going to be a big deal. They'll also be a little more powerful than the core set aliens are balanced for, but the game is already pretty brutally hard so unless you're playing with a group who wants it as difficult as possible that's unlikely to be a big deal.

My personal advice would be to let people play whatever agents most appeal to them and if you breeze through the mission, enable some optional rules for the next one. None of the agents are going to be game-breakingly broken; just a little more capable of dealing with the alien threat than the core set agents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Support class, or was it only Niobium, is game-breakingly broken in some missions in the base game. If one can take a device every turn while no events are revealed they can draw the entire device deck. So you should houserule that one. Besides that all agents work, even tho some work better in the context of the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up going with just the base agents and the KS1 agents.

My logic was that I wanted to leave something new when we got into the expansion scenarios. This way we will get new mechanics and agents when we move into those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.