Popular Tags: [View All]
wade nellis
Canada
Grande Prairie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry if this has been covered already.

Is a "campaign" just a linked couple of scenarios, with each scenario being a single game?

For example in the campaign guide that FFG has posted:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/d6/2c...

Would I use a fresh level zero investigator when I start this, gain xp and cards over the course of the three games, and then disassemble it when finished or would the resultant character deck then be used for the following campaign?

Thanks in advance for any clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically you could reuse your character.

In practice they've mentioned that the campaigns are balanced around starting each individual campaign as a new character. So if you want to preserve a character through multiple campaigns I suspect you'll need to bump up difficulty on the later campaigns if you want to preserve the same level of challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you assemble a deck (your starting investigator) and then play through the linked scenarios in the campaign.

Between scenarios, your spend experience points to upgrade some of your cards. The scenarios will also potentially add cards to your deck.

While the core campaign is only 3 scenarios, the Dunwich Legacy campaign, which has been announced, looks to be about 8 scenarios long.

And yes, it's assumed you'll create a new investigator to start each campaign.

However, the game is very flexible and you can make advanced decks and play any scenario as a standalone game. There are also many difficulty levels of play, and I suppose you could take an experienced investigator to start and just tweak up the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Parolini
United States
Mendota Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could pretty easily keep the same character going by increasing the difficulty. Just by virtue of being new to the scenario and it being really punishing, you're bound to still die a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leventa24 wrote:
Just by virtue of being new to the scenario and it being really punishing, you're bound to still die a few times.

Actually, I don't think this is necessarily true.

For one thing, being "defeated" gives your investigator a trauma which then reduces their Health or Sanity at the beginning of the next scenario. It's actually very difficult to "die" in this game.

And with multiple resolutions for scenarios and varying outcomes and different decisions along the way, it's not always a matter of "winning" or "losing" a scenario but rather coming out with as good a result as possible to be able to continue on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Parolini
United States
Mendota Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
Actually, I don't think this is necessarily true.

I was merely being colloquial, but ok then. Just by virtue of being new to the scenario and it being really punishing, you're still bound to "defeated" a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Poitier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also create a starter deck for your investigator (level 0), and whenever you start a new campaign, you go back to the starter deck and level him, possibly differently (since another campaign might not ask for the same approach).

Like said, the campaigns are not made to be done with the same character following one after the other, keeping his level between campaigns, so if you want to do that, you'd have to house rule difficulty bumps to keep it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Parolini
United States
Mendota Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has built in difficulty levels, so its possible that you could just naturally bump up the difficulty without having to come up with your own house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
In practice they've mentioned that the campaigns are balanced around starting each individual campaign as a new character. So if you want to preserve a character through multiple campaigns I suspect you'll need to bump up difficulty on the later campaigns if you want to preserve the same level of challenge.

Arkham Nights attendee:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The final scenario of the core campaign still has rules for giving out experience, trauma, and Madness. That said, the designers did confirm that they intended for you to start each campaign afresh, so that inter-campaign continuity is a secondary concern.

I'll note, though, that they assign a lot of trauma at the end of the campaign, so it might all balance out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.