Hide
11 Posts

Sheriff of Nottingham» Forums » Rules

Subject: Declaring Goods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Logan Metzger
msg tools
The rules state you can only declare one kind of Goods.

Do you need to have one of the legal goods you declared?

Example, Can I say 4 Chickens if I have 4 breads in a bag?

Can I have an bag of contraband ,and not have any legal goods in it?

My group has been playing it where you needed to have at least one of the good you declaring in the bag.

So, if you said you had 4 chickens you had to have at least 1 chicken in your bag. But after thinking about it...we might be incorrect on the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to have any of the legal goods in your bag at all. Both of your examples are completely legal. And believe me, there's nothing more satisfying than watching a sheriff's face when he realizes that every one of your five "apples" was contraband all along...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Naghoul wrote:
The rules state you can only declare one kind of Goods.

Do you need to have one of the legal goods you declared?

Example, Can I say 4 Chickens if I have 4 breads in a bag?

Can I have an bag of contraband ,and not have any legal goods in it?

My group has been playing it where you needed to have at least one of the good you declaring in the bag.

So, if you said you had 4 chickens you had to have at least 1 chicken in your bag. But after thinking about it...we might be incorrect on the rule.

From the rules:

Quote:
You may make any declaration you wish, but you must follow
these three conditions:
• You can only declare Legal Goods.
• You can only declare one kind of Goods.
• You must declare only the exact number of cards in
your Merchant Bag.

Since it is not a condition that you must have at least 1 of what you declare, then you don't need to have at least 1 of what you declare. 4 chickens when all you have is 4 apples is perfectly legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that if you have 4 breads and declare 4 apples, you will still be fined for any undeclared goods (ie. the 4 breads) if your bag is opened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
4 chickens when all you have is 4 apples is perfectly legal.

Though completely useless to lie about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Not if you tell the sheriff that he can have one of your chickens if he lets you through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Connolly
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Anduin wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Not if you tell the sheriff that he can have one of your chickens if he lets you through.

That's just setting your self up as a total douche because the ONLY reason you would declare "4 chickens" when you have 4 apples is to try to do something like this, since you wouldn't give one away to avoid inspection if your bag was completely legit. If you have 4 apples, just say "4 apples" and maybe say it in a way that suggests you don't if you want to lure the sheriff into inspecting your bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Or you don't want the sheriff/others to realize you will be going for the chicken king. There are plenty of reasons, many dependent on the group's meta dynamics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Connolly
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Or you don't want the sheriff/others to realize you will be going for the chicken king. There are plenty of reasons, many dependent on the group's meta dynamics.
OK, but by having a legal bag and making it illegal by declaring a different good you are risking losing the legal (bot now illegal) goods and having to pay a fine. Everyone else will have already loaded their bags when you make your declaration so it's too late to counter your chicken king grab and they'll know what you have when you open your bag on your own.

Maybe I'm just dense, but I can't imagine a scenario where it makes sense to take what would be a legal bag and make it illegal by declaring it to be something else, thus risking the loss of the goods and a fine. Is it the thrill of getting away with a lie just because? Is it to establish yourself as a pathological liar so that you can go for a major kill later when you pack a legal bag with an unlikely load and nobody will believe you so that you get the sheriff to pay you when he opens your bag?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:

Yeah, this doesn't really work either.

Between your declaration and opening of the bag the only decisions other players make are either the sheriff opening the bag or other players bribing him to do so. If your bag is just legit, it neither of those matter, because they can't stop you from actually getting the chickens you put in your bag. Your bag will be opened in a minute and everyone will see that you will have those chickens, so the information that you're trying to do something just doesn't matter.

I still can't see any reason to lie about a 100% completely legit bag, even taking into account, "the group's meta dynamics.".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
We have players that like to bribe the sheriff to open other people's bags. We have players who like to set precedents in their behavior and then break it. We have players who like to feign incompetence early only to make people underestimate them later (this usually only works once or twice). Many enjoy the meta game more than anything else, especially messing with other players' minds.

I didn't say it was a GOOD strategy, just offering reasons why people might want to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.