16 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Project Star Trek: WIP - Set Up and Story Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So started working a little on Story and Set Up Cards. While Printerstudio has larger cards, the minimum order on them is 54 cards, sooooo no.

Options then. This is an option using a Tarot size card.

It's pretty standard, just on a different sized card.

This is something a little different. Using 2 poker sized cards, one for the top and the other for the bottom. The interesting feature is that you could mix and match tops and bottoms to create variants of Story or Set Up "cards". These samples need a bit more refinement with sizes and placements of the text.

Thoughts and opinions before proceeding are appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You bring up an interesting idea - mix and match set-up!

I wonder if you should go even further, perhaps spreading set-up across 3 to 4 cards.

Using Firefly as an example, consider a structure where, for example, you could mix and match elements like ship/leader selection (ie, The Browncoat Way), starting resources (ie, money, The Blitz, etc), NPC ships and Nav Decks (including Alert tokens), and starting jobs on four different cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty
msg tools
I never had the motivation to test it for Firefly cards, but I used Print&Play for some jumbo-sized custom cards for Arkham Horror, and I thought it worked out pretty well.

Specifically, you'll want to look at this.

It's a lot more setup than Printerstudio, unfortunately. You'll have to set up the page and cut marks yourself. PM me if you want the file I used for some of my Arkham cards to at least get you started.

You also have to deal with their order minimum. Even with the extra $5 cutting charge for a custom size, you'll be a few bucks under the $12 minimum. You could always test out their poker-sized cards to see how they compare to Printerstudio, but I'd recommend using their custom boards to make a ship board instead. It's about half the thickness of a genuine board, and you have to cut the notch yourself, but it's still the highest-quality custom ship board I've been able to make. I've been meaning to make a post about it once I've finished cutting the ones I ordered.

To be honest, it won't really help with cost. Their shipping is almost as bad as Printerstudio's, and having to split your orders won't help. Depending on how many you wanted to print, you'd be looking at $10 for 8 or $13 for 12, plus shipping.

As far as your Printerstudio ideas go, I feel like the standard cards work well for a mix-and-match setup/story (I feel like there could even be a "Story Deck" with random goals for the single players looking for more variety), but wouldn't fit your purpose as well. I feel like you'd want some fairly conventional stories and setups, and using standard cards would add extra effort keeping the matching cards together. I think Tarot cards would be a suitable replacement, as long as you can fit all the content on one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
You bring up an interesting idea - mix and match set-up!

I wonder if you should go even further, perhaps spreading set-up across 3 to 4 cards.

Using Firefly as an example, consider a structure where, for example, you could mix and match elements like ship/leader selection (ie, The Browncoat Way), starting resources (ie, money, The Blitz, etc), NPC ships and Nav Decks (including Alert tokens), and starting jobs on four different cards.

Could also go crazy and do 6 or 7 mini decks (probably using the mini sized cards), where you randomly draw each segment of the set up. And then my brain explodes from the number of cards needed to make that work. ARRRRGGGGGG!!!! zombie

When I get home later I need to take a more in depth look at the Firefly set up and story cards to see what the best way to break them down into multiple cards might be. I'll probably go ahead and type them up in this two card format to check for how they fit in the cards. If I do that, I'll go ahead and post them in case anyone wants to print them out for random Firefly zaniness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One thing to consider in looking at Firefly: A lot of the story cards (especially later ones) actually include Set-Up elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1337salty wrote:
I never had the motivation to test it for Firefly cards, but I used Print&Play for some jumbo-sized custom cards for Arkham Horror, and I thought it worked out pretty well.

Specifically, you'll want to look at this.

It's a lot more setup than Printerstudio, unfortunately. You'll have to set up the page and cut marks yourself. PM me if you want the file I used for some of my Arkham cards to at least get you started.

You also have to deal with their order minimum. Even with the extra $5 cutting charge for a custom size, you'll be a few bucks under the $12 minimum. You could always test out their poker-sized cards to see how they compare to Printerstudio, but I'd recommend using their custom boards to make a ship board instead. It's about half the thickness of a genuine board, and you have to cut the notch yourself, but it's still the highest-quality custom ship board I've been able to make. I've been meaning to make a post about it once I've finished cutting the ones I ordered.

To be honest, it won't really help with cost. Their shipping is almost as bad as Printerstudio's, and having to split your orders won't help. Depending on how many you wanted to print, you'd be looking at $10 for 8 or $13 for 12, plus shipping.

As far as your Printerstudio ideas go, I feel like the standard cards work well for a mix-and-match setup/story (I feel like there could even be a "Story Deck" with random goals for the single players looking for more variety), but wouldn't fit your purpose as well. I feel like you'd want some fairly conventional stories and setups, and using standard cards would add extra effort keeping the matching cards together. I think Tarot cards would be a suitable replacement, as long as you can fit all the content on one.

I'm honestly surprised by how many sites there are for building games. Sadly, only the ones in Hong Kong (I think they're all related) have a user-friendly interface. All the American ones you have to have a printing degree to be able to use.

I had looked at Print and Play earlier. They're on my list. I like all the wee bits they offer. One of the things I like about Printerstudio or BoardGameMaker is that I can set up a "store" where all the card sets are already built. If others are interested in printing out a set, they just have to go and click. I'm not sure how to do that with Print and Play, which leaves others with a stack of files to have to download and upload and format, etc... I think there's a way to do it there, but I don't know how.

I'm leaning heavily toward the multiple smaller card option. How many smaller cards that entails I don't yet know. It was my first concept when I realized that larger cards were a no-go, and I though it was a nice way to mix up or randomize aspects of set up and stories.

At this point, I'm not sure more than two is realistic. Maybe three... Going to do some mock ups and see how they look and go from there.

A third option of course is to do them in the Firefly size, and just have them as download and print and glue them yourself items, but I'm really trying to limit that as much as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
One thing to consider in looking at Firefly: A lot of the story cards (especially later ones) actually include Set-Up elements.

Yeah. Really need to get home and look. It's a pain to be doing this at work without access to the 'source material'. My memory ain't what i'd like it to be.

Gallon of knowledge; shotglass of a brain. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
gwek wrote:

Yeah. Really need to get home and look. It's a pain to be doing this at work without access to the 'source material'. My memory ain't what i'd like it to be.

Check out the PBF forum. Gerry has a thread for banners that, if you scroll down, has pretty much everything you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Scarbuck wrote:
gwek wrote:

Check out the PBF forum. Gerry has a thread for banners that, if you scroll down, has pretty much everything you're looking for.

Found it. Thanks. That helps a lot. Doesn't help my job any... but helps the project. Love the tags too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Gotta start by saying, I think I love the idea of the mix-and-match Story cards. You can obviously have the "planned set" of "A1 and B1", "A3 and B3", but what's to stop you from putting A2 and B6 together? Love it. So many ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks man. Yeah, that's the idea. Now to make it work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Well, the first part is going to be making sure they're consistent. Don't worry so much about the mix-and-match format and make sure they're good to begin with. Some of the combinations might be broken as hell, but, that could end up being just as fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed.

At the end of the day, I think the mix and match will work better for Set Ups than for Stories, but really need to print on the same size card for both.

A third option I just thought of is to print on the Tarot sized cards, but include cut lines and the A and B tabs so people can leave them whole if they don't want to mess with the mix and match, or they can cut the card in half on the cut line if they do want to mess with it.

Gwek did a great expose and analysis of the Set Up cards with a view toward doing Firefly mix and match Set Ups, and it's a huge help in moving this forward. There are basically 3-4 elements that are important and variable, and a "wild card" element that is something different on every card, be it how alert tokens work or a bonus to certain jobs.

I was thinking of doing 2 cards (a top and a bottom), putting maybe 3 elements on the top and 2 on the bottom (or vice-versa).

But at the moment, I'm leaning toward a 3 card concept. The first 2 would be as above, a top and bottom, each with 2 elements. "Wild Cards" would be a 3rd "stand alone" card. The bottom card of the main set would list a suggested Wild Card by title, which would complete the "stock" Set Up card, or you could draw it at random from the Wild Card deck.

When I get some time here, I'll put together a mock up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A first pass at some modular Set Up cards. There would be 3 decks. A Top deck, a Bottom deck, and a Wild Card deck. You could choose one you like, or allow the deities of random generation decide by drawing 1 card from each deck. You could even choose a specific Top and Bottom, and draw a random Wild Card. They're still a little rough. Need to tighten them up a little and add some artwork. These have the bleed areas, so they'll go a little closer together when they're actually printed and cut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
That looks completely solid. I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.