$30.00
$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
steve zhang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if people have already been doing this.

Most of my friends have a ridiculously hard time getting accustomed to reading upside-down. So when sitting in a circle, we face the cards away from ourselves. This way, each person only has to deal with their own set of cards upside-down, but is able to see the rest much more clearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya we do this.
It's only fair for the lead investigator too.

Do you guys have the problem of new players when discussing what the clues can mean, point to their own cards and say, "Well it could be rope for suffocation". I have to pause the game and tell them that "Ya, no, you aren't trying to convince people you are the murderer - this game is the opposite of that". They are never the murderer when they do this. I think maybe they think the murderer can pick any two cards on the table. Talk about leveling up the game play if that was the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buttons McBoomboom
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
Ya we do this.

Do you guys have the problem of new players when discussing what the clues can mean, point to their own cards and say, "Well it could be rope for suffocation".

We don't have this problem too much, but there was a time when I taught a new group of players at work and people were building up such a good case against a player, he had to look at his role card again...then declare, "Nope, I'm not the murderer!" We all had a great laugh.

That said, with my play groups, people don't tend to have a problem at all pointing out which of their own cards *could* fit the bill, but this is all done in the same breath as "Let's look at ALL the cards that fit that clue." (This could be an influence of my play style, since I'm the one teaching the game. It could also be that if someone is actively ignoring their cards and just talking about other people, it tends to bring more suspicion.)

I know for myself, when I'm the murderer, and the group is somewhat off base with one of their assumptions for the weapon or evidence left behind, I actually DO agree that ONE of my cards is a perfect fit...all the while capitalizing on the fact that my other cards don't fit the story being told by the FS.

I guess I should have prefaced all this by saying we don't play exactly by the rules with such a structured discussion period. It's open discussion and in our play groups at least, we don't have a problem with the alpha player controlling the discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya we don't do the go around and sell your story of who you think it is and why for 1 minute. We just discuss as we go and people vote then they are ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QueenOfAll wrote:
Not sure if people have already been doing this.

Most of my friends have a ridiculously hard time getting accustomed to reading upside-down. So when sitting in a circle, we face the cards away from ourselves. This way, each person only has to deal with their own set of cards upside-down, but is able to see the rest much more clearly.

umm.... that's how you should present it by the rule book itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve zhang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SissyBell wrote:
umm.... that's how you should present it by the rule book itself.

Oops. Obviously I'm not a very good readerblush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haha well at least you've got good instincts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor H
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
isellsunshine wrote:
Do you guys have the problem of new players when discussing what the clues can mean, point to their own cards and say, "Well it could be rope for suffocation".

I tend to have similar problems in just about every hidden traitor game I play, usually with participants that don't play a lot of these kinds of games. Almost every time I host Dead of Winter, a new player to the game will look at their role cards and ask "How do I know if I'm the traitor?", thereby making obvious to everyone that "BETRAYER" isn't written boldly across the face of their card. I usually opt to just shuffle and redistribute roles at that point.

Once in a game of Bang! The Dice Game, a friend of mine successfully won the game as a Renegade by forgetting her role and thinking she was a deputy. When only her and I (the Sheriff) remained, she looked at her role card again, burst into laughter, and then murdered me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.