GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,731 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Grand Prix» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Grand Prix solo - Pictorial AAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Omer Hertz
Israel
Kfar Vradim
Galil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few days ago I received a package in the mail, my very first racing game, Grand Prix. Not knowing the system (having never played Thunder Alley) and intrigued with the concept of running 22-car races regardless of the actual player count, I decided that the best way for me to learn the gist of the game would be by playing a solo race with some unofficial rules I either gathered from the BGG Forums or devised myself. These efforts were documented in both pictorial and (general) textual form and are now offered to you in this post - I hope you'll enjoy them... Just bear in mind that this is a learning experience for me, and by no means a well-played, strategic simulation.

Note 1: The first half of the game, give or take, was played with a slight incorrect rule, which I had later fixed. It results in a slightly faster race, actually, but since all cars were affected equally, it really doesn't matter.

Note 2: I do not have a photo of the starting line (I did not think of taking one) but the initial Player Order is shown in the pictures going from bottom right [Osage Pride Motorsports] to upper left [Midnight Runners Motorsports).

1 The solo rules:
A Unless stated otherwise, all regular GP rules apply.
B The race consists of 11 Player Teams, with no NPC cars.
C Each Team draws 3 cards at the start of their Turn (the cards may also be drawn for all Teams at once if preferred).
D On their Turn, a Team plays 1 Card, affecting 1 of their cars. Repeat for all Teams.
E On their 2nd Turn, the Team plays a second card, affecting their other car, and discards the 3rd card.
F If only one Team car remains the the race, the Team instead Passes and discards one of their two remaining cards. They may discard the 3rd card as well, if desired.
G If both Team cars are eliminated, skip that Team's turn altogether.

2 Preliminaries:
A Concourse: Vasel Towers Circuit [3 Laps].
B Weather: Dry.
C Teams: All [11], except "Light Speed Racing" [randomly drawn].
D Pole Position: Osage Pride Motorsports [OPM] #24 - Cori O'Neill.

3 The Race:

Turn 1:
Lead Car: Coleson-Conway Racing [CCR] #00 - H. Latorre.
2nd: Pacific Star Racing [PSR] #10 - D. Radice.
3rd: Bull Racing [Bull] #33 - F. Dora.
In the Pit: #14,5,99,9,98,80,24 [Tires/Suspension]; #44 [Brakes]; #3,55,35 [Engine/Transmission].
Lapped/Eliminated: None.
Event: Mechanical Failure - #98.

Photo:

Turn 2:
Lead Car: Bull #33 - F. Dora.
2nd: Nothing Now Racing [NNG] #4 - L. Biggum.
3rd: Team Elise [Elise] #85 - K. Hazell.
In the Pit: #33,85,10,00,2,11,12 [Tires/Suspension]
Lapped/Eliminated: None.
Event: Gearbox Failure - None.

Photo:

Turn 3:
Lead Car: NNG #4 - L. Biggum.
2nd: Bull #33 - F. Dora.
3rd: PSR #10 - D. Radice.
In the Pit: #4,85,00,80,24,11,5,55,44,1,35,9 [Tires/Suspension]; #98 [Brakes].
Lapped/Eliminated: #77 - Brake Failure [Eliminated - El.]
Event: Brake Failure - #77.

Photo:

Turn 4:
Lead Car: NNG #4 - L. Biggum.
In the Pit: #33,10,2,12,98,14,3,22 [Tires/Suspension].
Lapped/Eliminated: #77 [El.]
Event: Tire Limits

Photo:

Turn 5:
Lead Car: NNG $14 - L. Biggum.
In the Pit: #85,24,12,11,44,9,35 [Tires/Suspension]; #00 [Transmission].
Event: Spin Off - #1; Safety Zone enacted.

Photo:

Turn 6:
Lead Car: OPM #14 - R. O'Neill.
2nd: Teamski Motorsports [TSM] #3 - C. Swift.
3rd: TSM #2 - M. Blackmore.
In the Pit: #2,4,99,80,97,55,22,1 [Suspension].
Event: Tire Wear; Safety Zone removed.

Photo:

Turn 7:
Lead Car: OPM #14 - R. O'Neill.
2nd: Elise #85 - K. Hazell.
3rd: TSM #3 - C. Swift.
In the Pit: #3,33,10,24,5,9 [Tires/Suspension]; #11 [Engine/Transmission].
Lapped/Eliminated: #77 [El.]; #1 [Lapped - L.]
Event: Mechanical Failure - #3.

Photo:

Turn 8:
Lead Car: Elise #85 - K. Hazell.
2nd: OPM #14 - R. O'Neill.
3rd: TSM #2 - M. Blackmore.
In the Pit: #85,98,00,35 [Tires/Suspension]; #4 [Brakes]; #10 [Penalty].
Lapped/Eliminated: #77 [El.]; #1 [L.]
Event: Stop & Go Penalty - #10.

Photo:

Turn 9:
Lead Car: Flux Capacity Racing [FCR] #99 - A. de Leon.
2nd: Elise #85 - K. Hazell.
3rd: OPM #14 - R. O'Neill.
In the Pit: #99,14,2,3,80,12,11,44 [Tires/Suspension].
Lapped/Eliminated: #77 [El.]; #1 [L.]
Event: Transmission Problems - #12; Safety Zone enacted.

Photo:

Turn 10:
Lead Car: Bull #33 - F. Dora.
2nd: FCR #99 - A. de Leon.
3rd: Elise #85 - K. Hazell.
In the Pit: #55,5,24,9 [Tires/Suspension]; #80 [Penalty].
Lapped/Eliminated: #77 [El.]; #1,44 [L.]
Event: Drive-Through Penalty - #80; Safety Zone removed.

Photo:

Turn 11:
Lead Car: TSM #2 - M. Blackmore.
2nd: FCR #99 - A. de Leon.
In the Pit: #85,33,35,98,00,11 [Tires/Suspension].
Lapped/Eliminated: #77 [El.]; #1,44,22 [L.] - Pockets Racing Tean Eliminated.
Event: Suspension Difficulties.

Photo:

Turn 12:
Lead Car: FCR #99 - A. de Leon.
2nd: TSM #2 - M. Blackmore.
In the Pit: None.
Lapped/Eliminated: #77 [El.]; #1,44,22 [L.]
Event: Serious Crash - #3 into #98; Red Flag Restart.

Photo:

Turn 13: Race Ended.

Individual Scoreboard:
A Winner: Bull Racing #33 - Fabius Dora.
B 2nd: Midnight Runners Motorsports [MRM] #12 - Calvin Byrd.
C 3rd: Osage Pride Motorsports #24 - Cori O'Neill.

Team Scoreboard:
1. Bull - 25 pts.
2. PSR - 22 pts.
3. MRM - 18 pts.
4. OPM - 15 pts.
5. FCR - 10 pts.
6. Elise - 8 pts.
7. CCR - 3 pts.

Photo:

4 Final Thoughts:
A I have to say that while this session was far from strategic or directed (as most of my decisions were made on a tactical, situational basis only), I have very much enjoyed the experience, and I can certainly see how the game can become much more strategic. I am also interested in seeing how the game will work with the NPC cars, as I think it will add another layer of tactics and [short-term?] strategy to what is already a great game to me. I am also very interested in seeing how the different circuits affect the gameplay and strategy. I would say that I felt I achieved a good grasp of the tactics only half-way through, and I did feel that I played better from that point on, so the tactical decisions are definitely there.
B As to the race itself, I must say that I found it to be very involved and full of twists and lead changes. It almost felt random, but I realise that running all 22 cars with no real overall strategy or preferrance has a tendency to feel that way... Perhaps I shall experiment with creating a competative solo game at some point.
C I particularily enjoyed the Events - these offered a bit of randomness, sure, but for the most part they either affected everyone more-or-less equally or hurt those cars that really did take greater risks, and they did offer a lot of excitement for me.
D Having said that, the ultimate Event - Serious Crash - seemed to have come at a very critical time, causing a Standing Restart just a few spaces away from the Race to the Finish line and probably changing the ending quite a bit... I'm not sure yet how fond I am of that - I might've preferred the Race to the Finish Line to have been further back than 8 Spaces, but I imagine that a lot of playtesting showed it to be the best place (or perhaps it's part of F1 regulation, I don't know).
E I wonder whether taking the Action Phases in Running Order instead of Player Order would've been a more interesting approach here (at least for the solo variant). Coming into the last turn, it felt like cars that had a good chance of scoring high were "robbed" of it when other cars behind them were activated first according to the Player Order. I know it's not in the rules but I would be very interested in hearing what the designers think - I imagine they playtsted both versions, and could point out the reasoning behind the Player Order Action Phase.

Overall, this has been a lot of fun and I can't wait to play the game with others and seeing how it evolves from there.
I hope you've enjoyed this AAR (my first ever!) and please feel free to leave your own thoughts, comments, suggestions or anything else below. Thanks!
- Omer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skipper 2206
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey ! nice review ! Thanks !

It's exactly the same session that i made yesterday : Solo, 11 teams, same rules, same track..
And The double yellow (not the red flag but it's similar) at the final turn !! I could have write this rewiew !!

I love this solo rules and i think that was the first race of my new championship !! (with the thunder alley expansion tracks)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nicely done. Good write up. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skipper2206 wrote:
I love this solo rules and i think that was the first race of my new championship !! (with the thunder alley expansion tracks)

Don't miss the Heckman track!

- C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.