$20.00
$15.00
$30.00
$5.00
Peredur Webb-Davies
Wales
flag msg tools
It wasn't clear to me from the description, but how will the relationship between the deluxe AHCG expansions and the smaller Mythos Packs play out? Will we need to buy the deluxe expansion to be able to play with the 'enemy' cards from the Mythos Packs, or can one just jump into the Mythos Pack if price or theme is an issue? That is, is the model going to be more like LotR or more like Netrunner? Do we know, or can we guess from what has been spoiled/leaked already?

Sorry if this question has already been asked elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Garcia Ballester
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have sources, but I think it's pretty clear that it will work the same as LotR in this regards: Mythos packs will require encounter sets that can only be found in the Deluxe expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question.

I think you'll need the Dunwich Legacy deluxe set: "Each of the six Mythos Packs that complete the cycle adds new layers of intrigue and new challenges that you can enjoy either as a standalone adventure or as a part of an eight-act mystery. And it all starts with the scenarios and encounter sets from The Dunwich Legacy."
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/the-dunw...

I think it would be difficult to build an encounter deck using just the small number of encounter cards likely to be included in a Mythos pack.

In checking the product announcement for Miskatonic Museum, I found this:
"This is not a standalone product. It requires the Arkham Horror: The Card Game Core Set and The Dunwich Legacy deluxe expansion to play."
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peredur Webb-Davies
Wales
flag msg tools
giga wrote:
I don't have sources, but I think it's pretty clear that it will work the same as LotR in this regards: Mythos packs will require encounter sets that can only be found in the Deluxe expansion.

That's what I was guessing too. LotR's Mirkwood cycle, however, was playable with just a core set. It seems that (if what you suggest is true) you need both the AH core and TDL before you can even touch the first Mythos Pack of the first cycle, which is quite a financial outlay in comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peredur Webb-Davies
Wales
flag msg tools
Quote:

In checking the product announcement for Miskatonic Museum, I found this:
"This is not a standalone product. It requires the Arkham Horror: The Card Game Core Set and The Dunwich Legacy deluxe expansion to play."
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...

Ah, that seems to answer that, then. Thanks! I have to say that this feels a bit of a step back from the LotR model, and could it be that the encounter sets from the core will see minimal use beyond it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Arkham Horror the Card Game is really not like any other LCG, so comparisons may be problematic.

The game is really based on campaign play and is very thematic and narrative. A deck is built just once before starting a series of games. The effects of one scenario follow into the next scenario(s) for the entire campaign.

The game allows for standalone scenario play, and you could build various decks of various levels and play the same (or different) scenarios repeatedly at different difficulty levels, but this really where the design shines.

The game excels in linking the scenarios together into a complex, interwoven campaign game.

The biggest question for me is whether to wait until all the mythos packs for the Dunwich Legacy cycle are published before starting the campaign so I can binge play them all one after another, or start right away with the deluxe set and then devour each mythos pack as it's released giving me something to look excitedly forward to every month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruderep wrote:
Ah, that seems to answer that, then. Thanks! I have to say that this feels a bit of a step back from the LotR model, and could it be that the encounter sets from the core will see minimal use beyond it?

The only reason you could play through the Mirkwood cycle without a Deluxe expansion is because they didn't release one for it; all other cycles required the Deluxe box the play through. I'd also think that people there will still be plenty of cards from the core set that will see play down the road. The player cards, if nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruderep wrote:
giga wrote:

That's what I was guessing too. LotR's Mirkwood cycle, however, was playable with just a core set. It seems that (if what you suggest is true) you need both the AH core and TDL before you can even touch the first Mythos Pack of the first cycle, which is quite a financial outlay in comparison.

I think it's the opposite if anything - the core set has no mythos packs associated with it, so there are 6 fewer packs to buy before getting to the first deluxe expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Mesas
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
The first cycle is about six expansions and seems they will be released once a month. Starting the first one on Dec-Jun, will you be able to wait until Jun-July to them fresh in a row?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting to me that the previous Lovecraftian LCG (Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game) was perhaps the most flexible of the genre in terms of expandability and deck design, while this Arkham LCG is shaping up to the be least flexible. "Deluxe" expansions will each expand the core set, but Mythos packs only expand a particular deluxe expansion. At this rate, I expect the deluxe expansions to be either mutually exclusive, or to require the use of one or more previous deluxe expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
I expect the deluxe expansions to be either mutually exclusive

I'm not sure I understand what that means. How can too deluxe be mutually exclusive?

Carthoris wrote:
or to require the use of one or more previous deluxe expansions!

That's unlikely IMHO, they clearly stated that each cycle would be a new campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deluxe is like a first chapter of the book. It Also includes new heroes and their equipments. If you want to read the next chapters, you buy smaller expansions.
If you only buy the smaller expansions you miss the first chapters of the book and most of the new player cards among the heroes of that new book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
giga wrote:
Carthoris wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what that means. How can too deluxe be mutually exclusive?

That is: The cards from the first deluxe expansion will be prohibited and/or useless in playing the second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
That is: The cards from the first deluxe expansion will be prohibited and/or useless in playing the second.

No matter what FFG does with their release model, people will bitch about it.

If they reuse earlier encounter sets, people will complain that they have to buy one expansion to play another and this is clearly some sort of greedy money screw against the fans. If they do not reuse them, people will complain about how wasteful it is and that they are getting less new content because FFG doesn't reuse perfectly good older encounter sets and this is clearly some sort of greedy money screw against the fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:

Not quite.

The PLAYER CARDS should be useful from any/all mythos packs when building your investigator deck for ANY future campaign, right?

The scenario specific cards (Agenda, Act, Encounter set, etc.) are only useful in that scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning - the following post is entirely off topic.

WHAT?!?!! I totally missed that Dunwich was a separate expansion!!!! AWESOME! That's a great amount of content in the next 2 months!

I read the Dunwich update - but for some reason I thought it was just some adventures in the base I guess... (I didn't read very close obviously!)

(Even so - if you go to the product page:https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror-the-card-game/

The Dunwich stuff is not expanded... kinda hidden!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
giga wrote:
Carthoris wrote:

If you're talking about player cards, that's very very unlikely. That wouldn't really be an LCG then.

If you're talking about scenario cards, that's more than likely. It's the way LotR has been working for a few years. Each cycle is self-contained. So for a given Mythos pack, you'll most likely only need the corresponding deluxe expansion and the core set (no other mythos pack / deluxe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Carthoris wrote:

No matter what FFG does with their release model, people will bitch about it.

I suppose. But I sure did like the way that every single card I ever bought for Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game could potentially work with any other card in the game, and it was up to me to decide whether they belonged together in a deck. Like I said, this game seems to lean toward the opposite end of the spectrum of flexibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
So far the model seems exactly the same as LotR except that it is starting with a Deluxe expansion right out of the gate. I don't see anything that indicates you won't be able to use player cards from one cycle in a different cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
So far the model seems exactly the same as LotR except that it is starting with a Deluxe expansion right out of the gate. I don't see anything that indicates you won't be able to use player cards from one cycle in a different cycle.

There really isn't, Cathorsis seems to be working hard to misinterpret what's going on. The Scenario cards have no parallel in CoC, so comparing their usage makes no sense at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
Cathorsis seems to be working hard to misinterpret what's going on.

So's your mother.

Yes, it's true. CoC had nothing like "Scenario cards," and the functional difference equates to a loss of flexibility in overall design. Who is laboring to misunderstand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:
Cathorsis seems to be working hard to misinterpret what's going on.

So's your mother.

Yes, it's true. CoC had nothing like "Scenario cards," and the functional difference equates to a loss of flexibility in overall design. Who is laboring to misunderstand?

And CoC had a complete lack of narrative and character progression, which makes me have zero interest in it. Not all games work for all people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
And CoC had a complete lack of narrative and character progression, which makes me have zero interest in it. Not all games work for all people.

Certainly a complete lack of character progression, which Arkham appears to deliver in spades. Narrative could be there in CoC, but not in the programmed, obvious way that it will be in the Arkham LCG. I think you've identified two of the key objectives which this design probably realizes.

I never said that Arkham was bad for its lack of flexibility in deck design, just very different than the game for which some people are suggesting it is a replacement. Having valued the flexibility of the old game, I'll miss it in the new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The design is also explained by the fact that it's a coop game, unlike CoC.

What I'm not sure I understand is why the flexibility for scenario cards is important to you?

It's not like a real person will play these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barrett S
United States
flag msg tools
mb
no one is forcing you to play ah:lcg, just play coc if you are so inclined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.