$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
84 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Swap Thing 2016 - Board Game Swap Meet, October 29, 2016 Puyallup WA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Inception: 01/08/16
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
The math trade ends in less than 24 hours, but it's not too late to add your games! Just make sure you fill in your trade grid! Feel free to post any questions you have in the What I'm Bringing to Swap Thing 2016 comments section.

Just when you thought you'd be stuck with your old games for another eight months,
an unlikely hero rises from the muck...

Fifteen days is ridiculously short notice, but when the opportunity arose to host a Halloween-themed swap meet in the historic Station House 726, we just couldn't resist. The venue features a gigantic ballroom for selling/trading games and laid-back lounge for playing them. Throw in ample parking and walking distance to local restaurants, and you've got a game swap paradise!

*actual moonlight conditions may vary

Join us for:

E Acres of tables! We've got space for a ton of games, so load up everything you've got.
E Refreshments and snacks! Empty calories and unreasonable levels of caffeine for all.
E Halloween-themed events and games! 20-player Werewolf anyone?

And new this year:

E A no-ship Math Trade! Head over to our Abecorn page and sign up. Trades are calculated on Friday, October 28th.
E A Silent Auction! We've printed up a bunch of Post-it tags so every game can be included in the silent auction. We'll send you your tags ahead of time, or you can pick them up on the day of the event.

Admission is free for non-vendors and $5 for vendors (if you need a table in the trading hall, you're a vendor). Doors open at 10am, but vendors should show up and hour or two early. If you do plan to attend as a vendor, please notify us via geekmail - we'll send you your Post-it tags ahead of time.

The Games I'm Bringing to Swamp Thing 2016 geeklist is live!

So yeah, really short notice, but we're pretty excited. Please geekmail any of the event organizers if you've got questions.

Date: October 29, 2016
Time: 10am to 6pm
Place: Station House 726 - 427 N Meridian, Puyallup WA 98371

Thanks,
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bart Quicho
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik Gibbons
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Cult of the Golden Lurker
badge
Mugwump of the Golden Lurkers
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome. I can't commit (yet) but am hoping to be able to make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regarding the Post-it tags:

These are 2" x 6" post-it notes and the idea is that every game gets one. Pads of these tags will be available at the event, or you can geekmail us now and we'll send you as many as you need. On the tags, you can indicate your willingness to accept BINs, Trades, Bids, or any combination thereof. The tags are pretty self-explanatory, but there are some less-obvious rules we will be implementing:

E A trade can trump a bid. If someone offers to trade for a game that already contains a bid, the seller may accept the trade and is not obligated to honor the bid. Bad luck for the bidder, but we feel this is a necessary compromise.

E Tags do not contain the seller's name, but the seller's table will.

E A Seller will choose an end time for their silent auction during registration and that time will also be posted on their table. We will keep a list of end times* so there is no overlap. We will also attempt to announce auction endings as they approach.

E A bid is a commitment. Even if a bidder changes their mind or acquires the same game elsewhere, they are expected to honor their bid if it is highest.

E Bidders will be asked to register their "bidding name" (DaveH, Maggie, and GameKing in the example) and a phone number before bidding.

*the list of end times sounds pretty metal...

Update: the tags won't be ready in time to mail them out ahead of the event. Instead, we'll be handing them out at the door. If you've planned your pricing ahead of time, filling them out and slapping them on your games should be quick and painless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Put some pants on Andy and get down here. It won't be the same without you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Quicho
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
AndySzy wrote:

Yeah, and if you want, you're free to cosplay (tis the season) as Dovahkiin as long as you bring some Cheetos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qeester wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:
AndySzy wrote:

Yeah, and if you want, you're free to cosplay (tis the season) as Dovahkiin as long as you bring some Cheetos.

Hah!

I would love to, but more than Skyrim, I might be moving that weekend. If I'm not packing boxes, I'll be there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if we are only bringing 3 or 4 games to trade/sell do we need to pay $5 for a table or just bring it in a bag and post in the "Games I'm Bringing" thread?

Thanks for organizing this, we moved to the area shortly before the big trade earlier this year and it was fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sponkey21 wrote:
So if we are only bringing 3 or 4 games to trade/sell do we need to pay $5 for a table or just bring it in a bag and post in the "Games I'm Bringing" thread?

Thanks for organizing this, we moved to the area shortly before the big trade earlier this year and it was fun!
I would say, if you've got games that are pre-sold or pre-math traded and you're just bringing the games to deliver them, you not actually a vendor and as such, you won't be required to pay the $5. Otherwise, if you need a table and tags, you're a vendor and we'll ding you. We've got some added costs at this one that we need to cover if we can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds fair, thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to come to this so I will make every effort to not schedule my knee surgery for that weekend. I should know by early next week when that pesky surgery will be. Fingers crossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Quicho
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
niledesign wrote:
I really want to come to this so I will make every effort to not schedule my knee surgery for that weekend. I should know by early next week when that pesky surgery will be. Fingers crossed.

If you do have your surgery the same day, you should still come by! You can be a shambling zombie from your freshly operated knee and the effects of the pain meds. It'll be thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent out an email to all the local math traders advertising the event and the Swap Thing math trade.

I'm sure this event will be as awesome as the last one! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Harris
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I have a lot of things I need to no longer have. This is quite tempting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:
I sent out an email to all the local math traders advertising the event and the Swap Thing math trade.

I'm sure this event will be as awesome as the last one! cool

Thanks Ben. Abecorn is great so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dizzy2D wrote:
Hmm, I have a lot of things I need to no longer have. This is quite tempting...
"Things I need to no longer have" was our second name choice! You should definitely swing by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, looks like I am able to go! I'll be listing some stuff on Abecorn shortly.

Couple tips if you haven't used Abecorn (or math trades in general before, I guess):

You can offer to trade money for games... so if you absolutely must have my copy of "Dilbert: Corporate Shuffle", you can feel free to try to trade $100 for it!

If you aren't sure you can make it, but would want to participate in the trade if you do make it, you can go ahead and list your items now! Just don't select any items you want yet! This way, your stuff shows up and others can try to trade for it - and then if you can go, you update what you want, and it works! Otherwise, you list it late and not everyone sees it and not everyone can try to trade for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news! My knee surgery has been set for Nov 3 so I am planning to attend. Hopefully my knee will cooperate and let me have fun, otherwise I will be daffy on painkillers and you all may try to take advantage of me whistle while playing games and making trades.

I will be posting games for trade on Abecorn shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
niledesign wrote:
Great news! My knee surgery has been set for Nov 3 so I am planning to attend. Hopefully my knee will cooperate and let me have fun, otherwise I will be daffy on painkillers and you all may try to take advantage of me whistle while playing games and making trades.

Great news Shanda. Looking forward to the math trade posts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
niledesign wrote:

Sean, you have a bunch of great things for trade, but on BGG you have nothing noted as wanted in trade. What kind of games are you looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
niledesign wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:
niledesign wrote:

Sean, you have a bunch of great things for trade, but on BGG you have nothing noted as wanted in trade. What kind of games are you looking for?
My friends would say "anything that's on sale" shake I'm mostly looking for fairly recent, medium-to-heavy euros. I'm not too interested in IP games (even Star Wars or Star Trek) or miniature games. I've added a few titles to my BGG Want to Buy/Trade lists. And I'm always interested in cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Matthews
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I'm definitely going to try to make this. My wife and I had a blast at the Bothell gathering a couple of months ago, and came away with some great games. I'm hoping to do the same again.

I know you guys posted a link to the Seattle Area Board Gamers Facebook group, but you might consider posting a direct link to the Math Trade to that group, too, so people know it's going on. I've had some really great luck with the two local no-ship math trades I've participated in, so I'm hoping to see more participants in this one.

I don't know who's paying attention to this thread, but if attendees are watching, I'm looking for a few games:

Lancaster Big Box
Dominion: Prosperity
Dominion: Cornucopia & Guilds
Burano

I still haven't locked down what I'll have available for trade, but if you've got any of the games above let me know and maybe we can work something out in advance.

See you guys next week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey y'all,

Due to some unforeseen life stuff I can't make it to the event.

I had listed a bunch of games on Abecorn, which I have now deleted. Sorry to pull the ole bait and switch, or bait and bail, or whatever.

FWIW, all of my games are listed in the Portland flea market. So if you are coming down this way...

Again, sorry for any inconvenience.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking on Abecorn and the window for swapping Math trade items seems to be from 10am-5pm. That seems like too broad a window. What if you can't stay for the whole event or you conversely you won't get there when the doors open so to speak? Any thoughts about narrowing that window or thoughts about how the actual swapping will work for those who aren't able to be there for 7 hours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
niledesign wrote:
I was looking on Abecorn and the window for swapping Math trade items seems to be from 10am-5pm. That seems like too broad a window. What if you can't stay for the whole event or you conversely you won't get there when the doors open so to speak? Any thoughts about narrowing that window or thoughts about how the actual swapping will work for those who aren't able to be there for 7 hours?
The site provides participants of every successful trade with the opportunity to message each other. I think that is the ideal time to arrange a time and place to exchange items. If there is absolutely no time at which both participants will be in the building together, I'm sure someone would be happy to hold the item for the late party. Please see the Abecorn Trade Results video for details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gee Whiz wrote:
Hey y'all,

Due to some unforeseen life stuff I can't make it to the event.

I had listed a bunch of games on Abecorn, which I have now deleted. Sorry to pull the ole bait and switch, or bait and bail, or whatever.

FWIW, all of my games are listed in the Portland flea market. So if you are coming down this way...

Again, sorry for any inconvenience.

Chris
Thanks for letting us know Chris, sorry you can't make it. Maybe we'll see you this summer. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.