GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,623 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Merchants & Marauders» Forums » General

Subject: Would it be worth it to get this game strictly for solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all, like the title says I'm thinking about getting this game, but I typically am a solitaire gamer. Do the solo variants here on the geek provide enough variation for the game to be fun over multiple play throughs alone, or will it get stale after one or two? Finally, would you recommend this to someone planning only to play the solo variants?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I certainly prefer this game multiplayer, it is a dynamite solo experience using Woelf's solitaire rules and firing up a great pirate tavern music playlist in the background.

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grossman
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend it strictly for solo. I played the solo variant to get familiar with the game. I can see it getting fairly dull with just the solo mode.

I do generally enjoy solo games though. For solo games, I quite enjoy Viticulture (with Tuscany expansion), Scythe, Legacy: The Testament of the Duke de Crecy, and The Pursuit of Happiness.

I also don't mind Agricola or The Gallerist solo. Le Havre solo seems too solvable?

Anyway, just thought I'd add a little flavour to let you know my solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Island of Lost Souls variant that is posted in this section is FANTASTIC. Very fun, keeps the theme perfectly, and the AI is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fowle
United States
Walpole
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to a lack of interested opponents, I only play this solo. Having said this, I love it solo. It is one of those games that creates a great narrative as you play. Lots of options and good choices. The solo variants on BGG are easy to use as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kpuff wrote:
It is one of those games that creates a great narrative as you play.

Exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
POUM
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big yes. Even better if you can get your hands on the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, these replies were very prompt!
I didn't know much about the expansion, I suppose I should look into it if it can improve a solo experience. Do the solo variants provide a good challenge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy sits on the shelf glaring at me with its one good eye...

"Aye, if adventure ye seek lad... jus' open the box"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Stu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes it would. I am playing it solo with 4 pirates and as long as I am fair about things, it is great. Don't favor a pirate and play the pirate as if it was your own.

Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.