Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry DeYoung
United States
Export
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobago looks like a very unique game, with its "reverse deduction" mechanism! But it also seems to have the potential to be fiddly, in terms of placing cubes as markers. If the players place the cubes too early, there may not be enough to cover all of the spaces that must be marked.

How easy is it to judge the right moment at which to place cubes? Does it happen annoyingly often that players try to place cubes too early? If so, has anyone tried adding more cubes to the game as a way of mitigating this problem, or does the board become too crowded with more cubes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Yanishevskiy
United States
Doylestown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools

I find it pretty easy to judge when the location is narrowed enough to place cubes. In fact, I typically wait as long as possible, as placing all 15 cubes out is not that helpful, anyway. Sometimes you start placing them and realize it, but it's not a huge deal. I suppose you could get more cubes (or upgraded treasure tokens, for that matter), but I doubt that is really necessary.

In short, no, I would not call it fiddly. Placing out the cubes is part of the "treasure hunt."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Denis. You'll figure it out quickly when is the "right" time. It really is only necessary after a few cards have been played and you need to start really narrowing it down.

Probably more fiddly is remembering to rotate the statues each time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
It is generally quite easy to judge whether you can put down the cubes. Usually the cubes are put down so it is easier to find those couple of clue cards that actually reduce the number of cubes or to inform people that there are few enough cubes that using your talismans to remove them may be worthwhile. Honestly I have never found that part of the game fiddly as we often put the cubes down when there are 5-10 cube possibilities and it is pretty easy to tell when that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Clark
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really is not a problem knowing when you need the cubes. We replaced them with some plastic jewels in different colors from Hobby Lobby that can be found in the floral department. Quantity is not an issue and they are much nicer to look at than the boring cubes.
It's a great game, don't let the cube placement scare you away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmb
The cubes haven't ever been a problem.

To address your other statement, Tobago really is not what I'd call fiddly at all!

The gameplay is significantly unique and different, and almost counter-intuitive (in a good way) enough to throw people's minds the first time they play it. That makes it "feel" different while one figures it out. But once players have played it a time or two, it'pretty streamlined!

I highly recommend the game, and highly recommend playing more than once
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not fiddly ...

wait until you see about 8-10 spots before placing down cubes (in case someone points out spots you didn't notice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Everything mentioned above is spot on. The cubes are really there just to help you. If you are playing with young kids you probably want to place them pretty early to help them see it better. But generally after ~3 clues you place them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another vote here for not fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Witt
Canada
Smithers
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agreed. not fiddly. rarely do we start out putting cubes on the board only to find out we need 2 more. it happens, but rarely. FUN game too.

dw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah, not fiddly at all. Such a good game. Do not let the cubes keep you away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry DeYoung
United States
Export
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for their feedback! The consensus definitely seems to be that Tobago's cubes are not fiddly. I'll have to look for a copy now, since you all have given me the last push that I needed. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.