Subject: Recommend a sealant for over metallic paint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelly Pifer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey everyone! In my first attempt at anything like miniature painting, I have used sharpie oil based paint markers to upgrade my cosmic encounter ships. I used a lot of the metallic colors, and have found that the spray on acrylic sealant I bought takes away the shine of the metallic colors. Does anyone have recommendations on what clear coat works well over metallics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be your sealer. Does it indicate it matte, satin, or gloss?

A matte will dry flat, showing few or no highlights.

A satin will be slightly glossy. Think spread-out, wide highlights.

Gloss should remain shiny, with pinpoints of reflected light sources.

In most cases, if you have used matte or satin, you can apply a gloss coat over it to restore depth and shine. I haven ever applied gloss over sharpie however, so it's possible there's a chemical effect at work.

Perhaps someone with experience in this can be more specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Pifer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks, I used a matte coat. I don't necessarily want something that adds shine, just something that protects the surface while having minimal impact on the look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
In my experience it's not your sealer; it's your choice of metallic paints.

There's basically two classes of metallic paints available; ones which go dull under varnish and ones which don't. I don't know the exact difference between them, although I suspect it's down to whether they actually contain little pieces of metal dust suspended in the paint - all the paints I've tried that I know have metal in have retained their lustre under varnish, but the ones which seem more liquidy - including every single paint marker I've tried - go dull when you varnish over them. If you use gloss varnish then you just end up with a glossy white or beige, rather than a metallic silver or gold that's extra-shiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Pifer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Interesting, maybe I should have done some more research before starting. But given that I have already finished painting, what would your advice be? What have you done in the past when you used metallic paints that lost their shine under gloss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
tnutricula wrote:
What have you done in the past when you used metallic paints that lost their shine under gloss?

Unfortunately, the answer for me is that I just stopped using those paints. Or at least, stopped trying to protect them with varnish. A lot of paint pens have pretty durable paint in them already, so unless you've varnished over all of your ships my first thought would be to just leave off the varnish and see how long they last before spending any more time or thought on them.

If all of your ships are already varnished then I think you have two choices: put up with it or re-paint them. I don't think there's really any way to re-gain the lustre once it's dulled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Pifer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fortunately I only varnished a few as a test, and have since gone over the metallic parts again. That's good advice, if they chip I can always repaint them in the future with better paints. I am really happy with how easily I was able to get clean lines with the markers though.

Thanks for the advice! Here's a pic of the (almost) finished ships

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
What does the paint pen say about the solvent used? They are not water-soluble, right?

They are probably closer to enamel colors, and the non-matte enamel colors are quite durable. (The matte colors are not, especially blacks.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tnutricula wrote:
Hey everyone! In my first attempt at anything like miniature painting, I have used sharpie oil based paint markers to upgrade my cosmic encounter ships. I used a lot of the metallic colors, and have found that the spray on acrylic sealant I bought takes away the shine of the metallic colors. Does anyone have recommendations on what clear coat works well over metallics?

I recently gave my Cosmic Encounter ships the same treatment and did a bit of research/experimentation to find a solution.

For me, Satin variety Mod Podge has worked well. It's a water-based sealant, so it doesn't disrupt the paint and the satin finish keeps the metallic color shiny without adding extra gloss to the rest of the ship.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Basic-Crafts/Glues-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Carrete
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you can do is apply gloss varnish only to the metallic parts since you've already sealed the whole figure. Basically, you'll go over with a brush (any cheap brush will do since you will have to throw it away later unless you clean it with a solvent) over the painted parts and presto. The shine is restored. You can buy a small bottle of gloss varnish e.g., Vallejo Acrylic Paint, Gloss Varnish, for about 4-6 bucks on Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.