Ben Cox
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
And humble, too...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first game this past weekend, one player (not me) got both his tourists in a single stall. They then steamrolled (as tourists move after each stall closes, in the direction of the newly placed market tile) around the board - closing stalls and racking up points for the player. Particularly since the overflow (provided by the previously closed market tile) made it so there was little opportunity to get out in front of the juggernaut. We couldn't find any rule stating that they weren't allowed to have both in the same stall, but it seemed an over-powered strategy... He ended up winning by nearly 2x points than the next highest player (116-57).

It would seem to need an equalizer to give each player only a single tourist for the game, or barring that, to make them to move to different stalls upon closure.

Were we playing them wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Benzebub wrote:
In our first game this past weekend, one player (not me) got both his tourists in a single stall. They then steamrolled (as tourists move after each stall closes, in the direction of the newly placed market tile) around the board - closing stalls and racking up points for the player. Particularly since the overflow (provided by the previously closed market tile) made it so there was little opportunity to get out in front of the juggernaut. We couldn't find any rule stating that they weren't allowed to have both in the same stall, but it seemed an over-powered strategy... He ended up winning by nearly 2x points than the next highest player (116-57).

It would seem to need an equalizer to give each player only a single tourist for the game, or barring that, to make them to move to different stalls upon closure.

Were we playing them wrong?

Did you catch the rule that tourists, when they move, are replaced by regular assistants in the destination stall? So a player wouldn't be able to steamroll across the entire board with the same 2 tourists, turn after turn. Additionally, tourists cost 50% more resources to deploy than regular assistants.

Still, it can be a smart move for a player to drop both of their tourists into a single stall, as more often than not it will lead to first-place scores in that stall and the stall they move to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cox
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
And humble, too...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. It appears we must have been playing them wrong, as we did miss that rule to change them into regular assistants in the destination stall. That would make a big difference.

Appreciate the guidance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brigitte den Hartog
Netherlands
flag msg tools
While we were playing first time, tourists soon became called terrorists, because they seem to be very exploding. Lol. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Richter
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i thought the same and i was like no way, so i read the rule book thoroughly again(which isnt written the best) and found a few things i missed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.