United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://startrek.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/139/feren...

Several allies and one tough crisis revealed. The final sentence makes it seem that it will be a while before it is available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One unfortunate thing about diplomacy is that, as a new mechanic, it has no support in the base game. The Federation, thusly, has no advantage on diplomacy rolls, despite diplomacy being *their entire thing.*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
since the federation tends to have higher ascendancy early on, they will likely have the advantage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenvious
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I dislike these Ally Exploration cards. As far as I can tell they basically act as an upgrade to Virgin Worlds since you only draw Exploration cards when finding a Planet. And if you are successful or fail, the Planet still remains untouched.

I could MAYBE see myself replacing my Virgin Worlds for these cards (i plan to keep the Exploration size/ ratio fairly consistent for each game depending on factions playing) so that does create a degree of interest I could use.

That said I see them as rather cautious for my games. We shall see how it resolves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
zfairborn wrote:
Honestly I dislike these Ally Exploration cards. As far as I can tell they basically act as an upgrade to Virgin Worlds since you only draw Exploration cards when finding a Planet. And if you are successful or fail, the Planet still remains untouched.

I could MAYBE see myself replacing my Virgin Worlds for these cards (i plan to keep the Exploration size/ ratio fairly consistent for each game depending on factions playing) so that does create a degree of interest I could use.

That said I see them as rather cautious for my games. We shall see how it resolves.

Crisis and Discovery are pretty much the same thing though.

The thing that bothers me is that there are less than 10 added (we see 4, which is probably half of them), and you put them at the bottom of the deck. What's the point of that? It already takes about 2 game to go through the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Player Expansions will add 10 new Exploration Cards, none of which will be Virgin Worlds. The Ferengi Alliance Exploration cards are comprised of 8 Ally Cards and 2 Crisis Cards where as the Cardassian cards are 6 Crisis Cards, 2 Discoveries and 2 Civilizations. If you notice, the Writ of Accountability Card requires players to reshuffle the Exploration Deck after it is resolved, so Ally cards that were at the bottom of the deck have (slight) chance of turning up again.

Right now, our thinking is that only the original deck of 45 cards will contain Virgin Worlds; all of the additions to date, the 50th Anniversary Cards, the Cardassian, and the Ferengi cards do not contain any. As the deck grows, there is a less of chance that they will come up as often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Jensen

Arizona
msg tools
John1701 wrote:
The thing that bothers me is that there are less than 10 added (we see 4, which is probably half of them), and you put them at the bottom of the deck. What's the point of that? It already takes about 2 game to go through the deck.

They only go at the bottom of the deck if you miss the diplomacy check when they are drawn. Initially they start out shuffled into the deck normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Gale Force Nine wrote:
Right now, our thinking is that only the original deck of 45 cards will contain Virgin Worlds; all of the additions to date, the 50th Anniversary Cards, the Cardassian, and the Ferengi cards do not contain any. As the deck grows, there is a less of chance that they will come up as often.

This answers one of the questions I had, whether or not to separate faction cards from the deck if said faction is not playing. I can see the deck get really wobbly when stacked, especially with plastic sleeves, after about 3 more expansions though .

One thing I am very disappointed in is that you need to score higher than the diplomacy number to succeed.

Conversely, the Red Alert Hazard shows the number equal to or higher needed on the die. It would have been consistent to have the number we need to equal or beat shown on the Ally card, just to keep things consistent.

If you don't play this game regularly, that can be confusing and I'm sure mistakes will happen at many tables because of this oversight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of those Red Alert numbers as the "to Hit" roll for those System Discs. Just as a player's fledging civilization needs to roll a 5+, modified by the target's shields, to hit another players ship, so too does the Mutara Nebula Murasaki 312 need to roll a 5+, modified by the target's shields, to hit your ship. That is why we always have another player make that roll. It is, in essence, an attack on the ship.

A Diplomacy Roll is just like a Hegemony attempt. Your roll, combined with your Ascendancy, must be higher than the target number to succeed.

Edit: Of course, the Mutara Nebula negates the Shields modifier, so that was a poor example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lars mallach
msg tools
mbmb
Can you explain the Mutara nebula.

It makes sense ships battling in the nebula don't get shields but how about ships exploring the nebula? Do they get a shield modifier based on shield tech? Or is it always a 5+ role no matter the shield modifier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
agntorenge wrote:

It makes sense ships battling in the nebula don't get shields but how about ships exploring the nebula? Do they get a shield modifier based on shield tech? Or is it always a 5+ role no matter the shield modifier?

The text does not mention battles so they can't use shields when braving the hazard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenvious
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
zfairborn wrote:

Crisis and Discovery are pretty much the same thing though.

An excellent point I had not considered! Fair call! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That Writ of Accountability sounds nasty. It says to "return or discard all Trade Agreements you hold". I understand "return" well enough but "discard"? Does that mean you have to set aside your own faction's trade cards, too? Making it impossible for you to begin any new trade agreements for the rest of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed it meant the Allies that are also trade agreements, not your own trade agreements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh The expansion shows the care GF9 puts into the development of a game. No sooner does someone wonder why the core game trade agreements are so limited by type then they offer new ones and expand the whole mechanism. And I expect that will continue doing that for various aspects. Nice. Clearly they've thought ahead about what they are doing, and how the game will expand and change, as they did in Firefly. And the new stuff remains very thematic, putting in more Star Trek flavor! Way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bevan
Canada
flag msg tools
Mundane wrote:
agntorenge wrote:

The text does not mention battles so they can't use shields when braving the hazard.
why would it need to include battles in the text when it's wording is already all inclusive. By your logic it would not include anything as it does not specify braving a hazard either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
apbevan wrote:
Mundane wrote:
agntorenge wrote:

why would it need to include battles in the text when it's wording is already all inclusive. By your logic it would not include anything as it does not specify braving a hazard either.

You're agreeing with him. He's saying that, because the text does not mention any specific circumstances under which they would lose the use of their shields, it applies at all times while they are in the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A R
msg tools
The Mutara Nebula looks ripe for exploitation in regards to Space Battles.

A fleet that defends on the opposite side of it gets a distinct advantage.

If I understand the rules correctly:

1) A fleet must end their movement in the Mutara Nebula so long as a Rival occupies an adjacent Sector. This is an automatic 33% chance the attacking fleet is destroyed by the Nebula.

2) When the Space Battle is initiated, the defender who is positioned outside of the Nebula will get full use of their Weapon upgrades when firing into the Nebula as the Defender's shields are irrelevant.

Does anyone else see it the same way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, i could see it both ways:
Technically, one side is in the sector and the other not so one is affected, the other is not

Thematically, if they can both fire at each other they are either both in the nebula or both outside the nebula given the firing distances. Perhaps it would be best to leave the option to choose the battle location after a round of combat. No captain would accept staying in it suffering the effect so would rather fly through it asap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.