Popular Tags: [View All]
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cave Evil is clearly "THE" Heavy Metal board game, but this looks very interesting:

Cryptic Explorers (Check it out on Kickstarter, they need our help!)

[This thread WAS about Dungeon Degenerates, but it's funded, so go help fund Cryptic Explorers!].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Huber Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely sounds cool, and it certainly looks cool. RPG elements, sandbox map, campaign style play, all things I like. I'll have to keep an eye on this. Thanks for the heads up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tucker8807 wrote:
It definitely sounds cool, and it certainly looks cool. RPG elements, sandbox map, campaign style play, all things I like. I'll have to keep an eye on this. Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah I agree. I'm hoping there's a good amount of "game" in there. I am backing it for now. And you're welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
tucker8807 wrote:

Yeah I agree. I'm hoping there's a good amount of "game" in there. I am backing it for now. And you're welcome!

I managed to snag backer number 1 with this. Have been super excited about it for a while due to the heavy metal aesthetic and Sean's Weirdo Art. I have been looking for another good rpg style board game for a while and so far the art and gameplay seem to hit the spot.

Really happy to see it popping up on the forums of the metalest of the metal, Cave Evil, so thank you for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, you need to remove the kickstarter link from the original post or this thread will be removed by the mods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
buruburub wrote:
BTW, you need to remove the kickstarter link from the original post or this thread will be removed by the mods.

Heaven forbid talking about a board game on the Boardgamegeek. I removed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The KS campaign looks super risky to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
necroloid123 wrote:

Why's that? I've never backed anything on KS so I'm curious what your red flags are. They did just put up a game play vid today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
necroloid123 wrote:

Also interested in hearing what red flags you are seeing Lester. Sean is a first time creator, yes, but this is a team that has extensive experience with merchandise production and retail over a variety of poduct lines, and the ganeplay seems solid.

The fact that the main artist is also the creator is also a huge plus for me as we won't see any of the delays from the all too common break downs between creators and commissioned artists.

Not trying to be a shill here, and am genuinely interested in hearing what you are seeing that I'm not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
buruburub wrote:
necroloid123 wrote:

Also interested in hearing what red flags you are seeing Lester. Sean is a first time creator, yes, but this is a team that has extensive experience with merchandise production and retail over a variety of poduct lines, and the ganeplay seems solid.

The fact that the main artist is also the creator is also a huge plus for me as we won't see any of the delays from the all too common break downs between creators and commissioned artists.

Not trying to be a shill here, and am genuinely interested in hearing what you are seeing that I'm not.

Yeah, the only real things I saw were first time creators, and no rulebook. Everything else looks pretty nice, they have a solid presence on BGG (both are users) and have an established business. From digging for a minute they're calling it a mix between Talisman and Arkham Horror, but with more depth and much more narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yet while exulting in solitude I became aware of a strange lack. I wished a companion to lie near in the starlight, silent, unmoving, but within touch. For there's fellowship more quiet than solitude, and rightly understood is solitude made perfect.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing this out - it looks really interesting. The artwork reminds me of a Zap Comix look.

I must say, however, this being the forum for one of my top five games , that while the artwork for the KS preview is very good, the artwork for CE is miles away unique in comparison. Maybe the two games go in a different directions...Cave Evil is monsters making and warring with monsters. This seems to be humans, albeit criminally minded humans, fighting monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
InvisibleRobots wrote:
Thanks for pointing this out - it looks really interesting. The artwork reminds me of a Zap Comix look.

I must say, however, this being the forum for one of my top five games , that while the artwork for the KS preview is very good, the artwork for CE is miles away unique in comparison. Maybe the two games go in a different directions...Cave Evil is monsters making and warring with monsters. This seems to be humans, albeit criminally minded humans, fighting monsters.

Oh they're definitely completely different games. As soon as I saw it I thought "Cave Evil" for some reason so I posted here. It's just the retro low-fi art or whatever that caught my eye. I do think the CE art is more original, as this game's art is very admittedly heavy on inspiration (which is fine).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
necroloid123 wrote:

necroloid123 wrote:

I'm sensing a trend here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
necroloid123 wrote:

Care to elaborate? Or would you prefer to post the exact same comment again another 5 comments down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Cryptic Explorers!

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171133/cryptic-explorers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mcmugwump wrote:

That looks almost like a straight up Cave Evil knockoff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
mcmugwump wrote:

I've been following Cryptic Explorers sonce its previous incarnation of Necronauts failed to fund on KS last year.

It's definitely on my radar as an interesting looking 1 vs many, but I'm a little worried about how well a KS launched on Oct 31 will do when the KS for the Kingdom Death: Monster reprint will be going live Nov 25.

Speaking of KD:M, games don't come much more metal than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
buruburub wrote:
79strat wrote:
mcmugwump wrote:

I've been following Cryptic Explorers sonce its previous incarnation of Necronauts failed to fund on KS last year.

It's definitely on my radar as an interesting looking 1 vs many, but I'm a little worried about how well a KS launched on Oct 31 will do when the KS for the Kingdom Death: Monster reprint will be going live Nov 25.

Speaking of KD:M, games don't come much more metal than that.
'

I'll check it out on Halloween. Not sure when the KDM KS is gonna entail... I got everything so far but I need that Lantern Festival... Think I'm gonna play some KDM today actually. And if $ = metal than ya KDM is super metal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been following the dungeon Degenerates dudes on ig. Some cool process shots for the game art. Definitely a stoner crowd, those Portlandians, they. Haha.

Despite seeing an alarm, I somehow missed the EBs. Stupid me. Tuesday's midnight and not Monday's midnight.

Didn't realize necronauts rebranded... Gonna have to keep an eye on that.

Also, John, for us Monster folks with everything - I'm really not sure we'll need much more than a couple hundred to keep the completion train rolling along. I just don't see the being that much new content. Adam has admitted most people aren't even through the first 1/3rd of the game as a community (BGG folks may be the exception here). My bet says that there are a few new things that'll peek up their heads. If still could be a 2yr+ wait for those... Lulz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true. I do know there's like 5-10 expansions planned, but I am doubtful they'll show up for the KS but I could be very wrong. I must snag Lantern Festival when its available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmb
Both those new games = Nope, fer me anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Craig Zahler
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Looks interesting and like the kind of game that fires the imagination, and thus I backed it. I would be happy to find a game that has the atmosphere and dread and unique world building of Cave Evil and also the immersive solitary explorations of Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
s_craig_zahler wrote:
Looks interesting and like the kind of game that fires the imagination, and thus I backed it. I would be happy to find a game that has the atmosphere and dread and unique world building of Cave Evil and also the immersive solitary explorations of Mage Knight.

Glad you're on board!

ppayes wrote:
Both those new games = Nope, fer me anyway.

Fascinating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maher Sagrillo
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi friends,

Thanks for the mention of Cryptic Explorers. We (Tempest Tome Games, guys making Cryptic Explorers) are psyched for WARCULTS and Dungeon Degenerates as well. Both look amazing and we've pre-ordered. Had the opportunity to meet Nathan of the Pit of Infinite Shadow last night and he's a cool dude.

Best to you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
msagrillo wrote:
Hi friends,

Thanks for the mention of Cryptic Explorers. We (Tempest Tome Games, guys making Cryptic Explorers) are psyched for WARCULTS and Dungeon Degenerates as well. Both look amazing and we've pre-ordered. Had the opportunity to meet Nathan of the Pit of Infinite Shadow last night and he's a cool dude.

Best to you all.

I'll definitely be checking Cryptic Explorers out on Monday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.