Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The project creator lives in California but I believe English is not their first language. That's fine, the English in the updates and on the page is pretty good if that's indeed the case.

However, there are a number of small grammatical mistakes in the updates particularly. What worries me is that the game will feature similar issues. I think it's worth raising this concern for potential backers to be aware.

Does this bother anyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Fifty-Seven
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Nope - I believe that this will be fine.

After all, this is a CMON release and it'll be fine, unlike the shambles that is Lobotomy from another non-English as a first language developer.

Look at Zombicide, that was French, that turned out fine as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie57 wrote:

After all, this is a CMON release and it'll be fine, unlike the shambles that is Lobotomy from another non-English as a first language developer.

This is not CMON, this is Diemension Games and it's their first project. Guillotine Games may be French but CMON isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie57 wrote:

???? This is not CMON.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that the writing in the updates was not as good as that on the campaign page. Hopefully there is a staff writer who will be doing all of the important stuff (as it seems the majority of their other communication has been excellent) and the person doing the KS updates is not that person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
zombie57 wrote:

This is not CMON, this is Diemension Games and it's their first project. Guillotine Games may be French but CMON isn't.

French issues are a Blue Flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Going back over this and digging deeper it's worse than I thought.

Felix Anderson's dashboard looks like it has a typo.
"Only this monster can take wound during this attack action."

The Madness Within monster card has a typo too:
"x is equal to the number of investigators that are current in a devoured room."

Should be "currently" and using "the" instead of "a" makes more sense.

Protective Suit card too.
"Roll 1 additional [die symbol] when decide your [symbol]"

Madness Card typo far right:
"reaching out from its mouth, its nose, event its eyes"

Consciousness Cards have a few weird wordings and one typo I spotted:
"ourcome of the world" on the middle card.

I haven't even looked at the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah there's a bunch of those issues in the rulebook too. Doesn't really bother me, though, as long as I can figure out what the rules are supposed to be. Also, the rulebook looks very much like a first draft, so I just assumed they'd iron out some of that stuff before production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agreed. Saw the part about offices in California and China and said, "Nope." Then I read the rulebook with what looks like proofread Google translated English, and still said, "Nope." An office here in the states is just a front for a Chinese made game. This is especially clear when it says the company is made up of
-lists all the freelance artists/designers they hired-.
I'm not taking that risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stewart
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Matthews & Moorcock Magnificent Magicians of the Multiverse
mbmbmbmbmb
Normiyagi wrote:
An office here in the states is just a front for a Chinese made game. This is especially clear when it says the company is made up of
-lists all the freelance artists/designers they hired-.
I'm not taking that risk.

You do realise 98% of boardgames are made in China? And you're probably reading this on a Chinese-made device?cool

But hey, you're perfectly free to miss out on the fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you are correct, I should have used the word "produced."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am way less worried about the rulebook than the cards. That said, presumably everything here is pretty much alpha-level prototypes. At least I hope so. It's not uncommon for games to have preview/ early versions of rulebooks available to look over--and this one is labeled as preview v1.o

All of that said, looking over the preview rules, and grammar not withstanding, the game has a somewhat zombicide-like feel to things. Which i'm okay with actually, because it 'COULD' mean that we have Cthulhu-esque crawler in-bound.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not too worried about it, this game looks freaking amazing!. These issues are easily corrected and they have stated everything is still prototype. That video is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl dunfield
msg tools
Not worried about translation if they are actually using Ludofact as the manufacturer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
I'm not too worried about it, this game looks freaking amazing!. These issues are easily corrected and they have stated everything is still prototype. That video is awesome!

Every update has had grammar mistakes and misspellings. When you look at who posted the updates, it's 2 Chinese characters, so they are coming from the Beijing offices. We have no idea what the "California" office really is. They state it is the design studio, with the Beijing offices for production oversight. Does a start up really have 2 offices?

Now for those giving the rulebook, cards and other game components a pass at the Alpha level...don't. Just don't. Don't even assume.

Let me quote one of the latest Lobotomy kickstarter updates:

As for the translation. We were screwed by translation company. We were told that it was done by a native speaker and we paid a good money for it so we were sure that it will be flawless. It is not so we will take steps to fix that. We want to do that with you guys so it should look like this. First we will prepare the manual to the form where it will be easy to edit. We will upload it and ask all of you to make corrections and translations into different languages. We will post PDFs with fixed rules for final insight and when you approve it we will print a number of copies and send to those backers that will want a fixed printed copy. It will cost us a lot of money so we hope that for at least a part of you current manual will be enough but we are prepared to give you replacements.

So things can go wrong, no matter how careful. It was also addressed in the latest update for Lobotomy that the cards were translated by the same company. Titan Forge, the designers/publishers, have the cards in hand but, since English is not their native language, they can not tell us if they have similar issues. They have to rely on backers feedback when they get a chance to post the cards.

Which have already been printed. And boxed up.

Honestly, if the updates don't get better, I'm going to assume the base game will have translation issues.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
razor001 wrote:
Not worried about translation if they are actually using Ludofact as the manufacturer.

Hmmmm...didn't consider this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
razor001 wrote:

How does using Ludofact help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well yeah but it seems to me they are aware of the issues and are taking alot of steps to correct it, it's still very early in their development. Honestly this gives me more confidence, not less

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
Jorune wrote:
razor001 wrote:

http://www.ludofact.de/en.html

Basically by handing everything over to them, they will QC everything from components to rules translations.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to mention the whole point of Kickstarter was to give a chance to those small companies who are just starting out, and that's apparently what Diemension Games is. I know that larger companies have been using KS as a venue for gathering pre-orders and now everyone expects that level of quality and professionalism from every game on KS. But when a new company is working on their first big game, I think I can live with a few mistakes if the end product is unique and interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
DancingFool wrote:
Jorune wrote:
razor001 wrote:

Basically by handing everything over to them, they will QC everything from components to rules translations.

Jorune

Didn't Ludofact work on Conan components (not the minis)? Have you been following that project?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
They just posted in the KS comments:

"There have been concerns about the writing in our game and in the KS updates. Your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured we are doing everything to ensure the quality of our game. All texts in the final game will be professionally written and edited. We are editing all the KS updates at the moment. As a young company, we truly appreciate your patience and generous support."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stewart
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Matthews & Moorcock Magnificent Magicians of the Multiverse
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in it for the MINIS, man!

At well under $1 per figure, I see the rules & board etc as a free bonus

I could follow the posted beta rules with no trouble, so after final edits I'm confident ...... there is at least a year to go, after all

And will be using the figures for other games as well......cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed the rulebook they linked to in the KS is different from the one they posted in these forums a couple weeks ago. The one linked in the KS has better writing (for example, the mining facility has an actual name). So it looks like they've already started working on improving it.

Edit: Yeah, it's much better. Take a look at this:

Old version: "If there is not enough monster figure to spawn, spawn as many as could."

New version: "If there are not enough monster figures to spawn, spawn as many as you can."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
DancingFool wrote:
Jorune wrote:
razor001 wrote:

Jorune

they are working with Ludofact china, not Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.