GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,167 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so maybe he's not exactly a boardgame fan, but I came across this nugget from 1992:

"Fidel Castro apparently took note. Monopoly had a strong following in Cuba, but Castro has banned it. He decreed that every set be destroyed."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-10-04/news/920330069...

Good man!

So anyone else hear of any attention being paid to boardgames by VIPs? I read somewhere that JFK and Kissinger both liked Diplomacy. And Avalon Hill used to list Walter Cronkite as a fan of their games in their brochures. (Always made me think well of the old guy when I was a kid.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Which is interesting, considering that Monopoly was originally designed by an anti-capitalist as an example of how capitalism inevitably leads to inequality and exploitation. I wonder if Castro would approve of the original version.

Edit: for those interested, here's an article about the "secret" history of Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly shows how clever people can take advantage of deal-making to gain an advantage for themselves. It's one thing to learn about this in your junior high Marxism class, but it is quite an eye-opener to see how you can do it in an economic simulation, however crude. People get ideas and wish to better themselves at the expense of society as a whole. It's no wonder an egalitarian society like Cuba decided to ban the game in the service of the greater good.

"Egalitarianism seems to require a political system in which the state is able to hold in check those social and occupational groups which, by virtue of their skills or education or personal attributes, might otherwise attempt to stake claims to a disproportionate share of society's rewards. The most effective way of holding such groups in check is by denying the right to organize politically, or, in other ways, to undermine social equality. This presumably is the reasoning underlying the Marxist-Leninist case for a political order based upon the dictatorship of the proletariat."

-- English Marxist-Leninist sociologist Frank Parkin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Anyone have the stones to set up a game of Cuba Libre with him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Anyone have the stones to set up a game of Cuba Libre with him?

I wanted to bring my copy to Cuba last year. Instead just brought Innovation (which the wife and played in bars all across the country, attracting some curious looks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yes, "Generalissimo Francisco Franco" played itsblankablanktrap VIA oiuja since you just dump and turn over these upon their blank side onto that 'Board', and during his TURN, he'll choose one and bring this onto yes or no, as the latter is then returned into the mix again.
robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Ok, so maybe he's not exactly a boardgame fan, but I came across this nugget from 1992:

"Fidel Castro apparently took note. Monopoly had a strong following in Cuba, but Castro has banned it. He decreed that every set be destroyed."

What an a**e that man was. The game was exactly right for his cause. It makes everyone angry, apart from the winner, and hate on capitalism; by design. And to think such a shallow man should have talked so much.

At least he's grown up a bit of late.

Meanwhile, supposedly JFK and Kissinger loved Diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
surprise In Putin Soviet Russia then RISK Ukraine is only allowed ONE ARMY! 6whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
So anyone else hear of any attention being paid to boardgames by VIPs?

There's a documentary that's been on Netflix about the life of Neil Armstrong, and in it, his brother discusses how Neil told him about what he had decided to say when he first stepped on the moon, over a game of Risk.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2625082/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
skutsch wrote:
So anyone else hear of any attention being paid to boardgames by VIPs?
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
There's a documentary that's been on Netflix about the life of Neil Armstrong, and in it, his brother discusses how Neil told him about what he had decided to say when he first stepped on the moon, over a game of Risk.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2625082/
ACE "Rimmer" even managed to BEAT 'alt-uni'-"Rimmer" at RISK where Ukraine only got ONE ARMY, so, what a Guy, Buddy! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think it's quite out of line for Robert Wesley to come on here and not share the awesome drugs he's clearly using with the rest of us. As I learned way back in 1st grade, if you bring anything, you have to bring enough for EVERYONE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
soblue 'moi' just "wished" that hadn't drank A-L-L this 'cough-syrup', and hey, is that..why..E-L-V-I-S-! Play some "Name that TUNE"? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
I really think it's quite out of line for Robert Wesley to come on here and not share the awesome drugs he's clearly using with the rest of us. As I learned way back in 1st grade, if you bring anything, you have to bring enough for EVERYONE!

Commie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
surprise In Putin Soviet Russia then RISK Ukraine is only allowed ONE ARMY! 6whistle

Can someone explain to me why people do the stupid colored writing thing?

skutsch wrote:

That explains it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be shocked if Putin didn't play chess passably well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
skutsch wrote:
RingelTree wrote:

Commie.
blush Well, did Lennon 'sing': "Imagine there's NO religion ...oh, and PAUL was the Walrus!"
surprise The 'chocolate cake' in a "bag" was the LIE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
skutsch wrote:
RingelTree wrote:

Commie.
blush Well, did Lennon 'sing': "Imagine there's NO religion ...oh, and PAUL was the Walrus!"
surprise The 'chocolate cake' in a "bag" was the LIE!

What the hell are you on?surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Toenail21 wrote:
Can someone explain to me why people do the stupid colored writing thing?
That explains it.
Simply: SHINY OBJECTS TREATED AS DIVERSION goldencameltradearistocratbuildingworker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Toenail21 wrote:
What the hell are you on?surprise
What you 'got'? \whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
DaveyJJ wrote:
In Putin Soviet Russia then "Bishops" are "Commissars" and when you MOVE any you MUST 'sing' "lyrics" from the SONG!
wow ~"LIFE during 'Wartime'!"
/whistle\ ~"99 Luftballoons"
/whistle\ ~"On the METRO"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
Monopoly shows how clever people can take advantage of deal-making to gain an advantage for themselves.

How is there any deal-making in Monopoly? You move around the board at random and when you land on certain spaces you're told to pay a set amount of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
MK99 wrote:
jumbit wrote:
Monopoly shows how clever people can take advantage of deal-making to gain an advantage for themselves.

How is there any deal-making in Monopoly? You move around the board at random and when you land on certain spaces you're told to pay a set amount of money.

... have you been playing with a houserule where you're not allowed to buy/sell/trade properties between players? meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:
In Putin Soviet Russia then "Bishops" are "Commissars" and when you MOVE any you MUST 'sing' "lyrics" from the SONG!
wow ~"LIFE during 'Wartime'!"
/whistle\ ~"99 Luftballoons"
/whistle\ ~"On the METRO"

Let the wookie Putin win
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Mashpotassium wrote:
MK99 wrote:
jumbit wrote:

... have you been playing with a houserule where you're not allowed to buy/sell/trade properties between players? meeple
surprise W-H-A-T-? Did you not also HAVE something akin to ""THE BEAD STORE""-"Beads for 'Jewelry' NOT 'Bread' for eating nor Monopoly denominations!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MK99 wrote:
jumbit wrote:

Monopoly is principally a negotiation game. The rules are so short that its surprising how so many people play it without negotiation. More or less snakes and ladders. Said to be one of the reasons why it isn't good for kids, under 12s, who can't work with that properly, and they get 'traumatised' never to return to boardgames.

There's a couple of other rules worth knowing of: on an empty plot, if the person landing doesn't buy it then it must be auctioned immediately. Ignore the optional free parking rule that injects more money in to the game (if I remember correctly) that simply extends the game length with no other benefit, which for an already very long game is pretty bad news.

Also, there's the matter of what negotiation is permitted. The rules implicitly exclude futures and other such things. And which lengthen the game. However, some monopoly connoisseurs think that that is the really fascinating stuff.

Also, Chris Farrel, an underappreciated BGG Guru who rates it a healthy 8, reckons that it should only ever be played with 4 people, and count assets at two bankruptcies to determine the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.