Subject: How to handle players killed in a mission? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with players getting killed and having to re-level up. My concern is with the length of some of the missions, if a player gets killed, what does the person who is out of the mission do for the rest of the mission? Do they just call it a night and go home? If this was a quicker game then I could see waiting for a mission to be over, but reading about some of the long lengths of missions it seems likely someone is going to get killed and be twiddling their thumbs for a long while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is a great answer here. The two times this has happened to me, we packed up the game and quit because we weren't close enough to the end to justify that one player sitting out.

Of course, most coops treat player death as a loss anyway so quitting if someone dies may be the best solution anyway.

I would probably allow one full turn after the turn where the player died; if you can't win by then you treat it as a loss. In some cases, it will be obvious that you can't win within one turn and you can pack it up without wasting anyone's time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Along with just calling it a loss, there are a couple options to keep a player invested in the game:

* Hand off control of the aliens to them. This isn't a great option, because they don't get to make many decisions, but it's better than sending them home while you play out the mission

* Implement a "respawn" house rule. So far as I know, no one has tested a respawn rule and reported back, but some possibilities: have them sit out a turn, and then redeploy their agent in the starting area at the beginning of the next Strategy phase. Or let them jump straight back into the game next turn, but penalize them somehow: reset the agent to starting rank (but allow leveling up to the mission's base rank for standalone plays), or make them lose a rank, or disallow bringing any devices/weapons with them, etc.

There are also several house rules suggested in the forums for making death less likely (having aliens treat bleeding agents as the lowest priority target instead of highest, for instance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey madscientist
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
There should be one blank device and one blank skill. I created a device that is like a medvac. The biotech controls the medvac and will rescue an agent on the field.

controlling the biotech costs movement, action, and fighting, and the agent stays out until the start of the next round. If he starts bleeding out he loses any upgraded weapons. The medvac can only be used once during a full round (i.e. from event card to event card.)

I even had a neat little car from the movie "home" that looks like a 60's style space saucer so the theme fits pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've usually done what Skaak's first suggestion said. Hand off control of the aliens to that player. You do need to make sure that the aliens are still kept in 'groups' for when the "All Aliens controlled by the Alpha Agent" card pops up. And as Skaak said, it gives the player something to do and has the side effect of slightly speeding up the game.

Thinking about it more now, though, maybe another option could be to switch to the semi-coop rules and give the incentive that if the mission is failed, then you need to do the entire mission all over again with no penalties to any of the agents, but if the mission is a success, then the agent that died will lose everything, or be eliminated from the remainder of the campaign depending on what rules your using to handle agent deaths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.