$30.00
Gold Box
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
My wife and I spend a lot of time playing DC Deck Building and all of it's expansions so we made our own expansion with a new mechanic. We've been playing with it consistently for several months now and it seems to work pretty well. Some cards are broken as heck and others are lame but over all we enjoy using it.
The first thing we did was create a new starter card: Contingency.

We replace 2-3 punch cards from our starter decks with these. They function exactly the same except that the power from them can be banked.
Basically we have a stack of cardboard tokens, not unlike VPs, that we can bank up and can spend like power at any time. All of our new cards are based around this mechanic.
So then we added a new "Animal Companion Deck" stack beside the kicks. It is kept face down and the top card can be blindly bought at any time, like kicks, for 2 power. There is a new card type included in these which is "Animal Companion" as well as new locations, heroes, villains, equipment, and super powers. Some of these cards are very good, some are so-so, and then there are Joker Fish cards.

There are ten of these shuffled into the "Animal Companion Deck" and like Weakness cards have no type, do nothing, and are worth negative VP at the end of the game. The main difference is that their printed cost is 2 rather than 0 which can be very important at times. While being the same as weakness' they are not technically weakness' so cards that say things like "destroy a weakness" do not refer to these.
So whenever you buy the top card of the Animal Companion Deck you have a chance of getting a good or decent card or you could end up with a bad card.

The rest of the deck is in this album here: http://imgur.com/a/KuB9l
With the 10 Joker Fish the deck is a total of 52 cards.
Some examples:








We have our deck sleeved so we just printed these out at home on paper and slipped them in front of unused cards in sleeves and you can't tell the difference. Cards that refer to "Animal Companion" cards mean the type not all cards from the deck. The two most troublesome cards are Marine Telepathy and Sub-Diego. Marine Telepathy involves digging through the Animal Companion Deck in search of certain cards and then shuffling which can be annoying. Sub-Diego is just really broken when combined with certain cards and should probably be entirely re-worked or at least changed to read "cost 1 or greater that you own".

Anyways we've enjoyed this custom variant and hope you will too. Please give this, or even just the contingency cards, a try and let us know what you think.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with a ~20% chance of getting a Joker Fish instead (and I hate this as a mechanism), many of these are amazing for 2.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GLBX wrote:
. While being the same as weakness' they are not technically weakness' so cards that say things like "destroy a weakness" do not refer to these.


You decided against the Joker Fish having a Weakness type?

Have you thought about things that take Power Tokens as Payments, like Locations?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Box
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Jlerpy wrote:
Even with a ~20% chance of getting a Joker Fish instead (and I hate this as a mechanism), many of these are amazing for 2.

When we first started we were going to have them cost 3 but with how lame many of the cards are and the jokerfish we decided against it. Though with months of use I can tell you we definitely do favour these over the kicks unless we're playing as Black Adam or Superman or someone like that. I'd be interested to see how it changes bumping their price up to 3.

CodeAndReload wrote:
GLBX wrote:
. While being the same as weakness' they are not technically weakness' so cards that say things like "destroy a weakness" do not refer to these.


You decided against the Joker Fish having a Weakness type?

Have you thought about things that take Power Tokens as Payments, like Locations?


Yes as "Weakness" is not a type. Cards that refer to card types already skip over weakness cards that way so I figured it should be left the same.

The closest to having any token payment cards we have is Detective Chimp who allows you to use them to buy cards from the destroyed pile. I could see cards that have abilities activated by spending power-tokens (or even just power for that matter) being interesting though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GLBX wrote:
Yes as "Weakness" is not a type. Cards that refer to card types already skip over weakness cards that way so I figured it should be left the same.

The closest to having any token payment cards we have is Detective Chimp who allows you to use them to buy cards from the destroyed pile. I could see cards that have abilities activated by spending power-tokens (or even just power for that matter) being interesting though.


Cartoon Network has Weakness as a type (because each Weakness card is unique). It also has cards with multiple types like the Crystal Gems who are "Female Gem Hero" cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.